Did Gailey and Fitz make the Oline look better than it is?

freester

I think the quick release, dink and dunk offense hid deficiencies in the oline. Deficiencies like Glenn's inability to pass block speed rushers etc. I am concerned without Levitre and with an offense that wants to throw downfield (farther than Fitz threw) we will see many QB sacks and pressures. Last year we did mostly 3 and 5 step drops. This covers up pass blocking deficiencies.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No.

As I've detailed before, Gailey's offense was predicated on how rapidly Fitz's accuracy declined as receivers ran down field. PFF did an analysis of time-to-throw for 2012, and Fitz had the greatest decline in accuracy when given more than 2.5 seconds to throw.

Did it help the OL? I'm sure it didn't hurt. Did it cover up major deficiencies as some proclaim? Not in my opinion.

As I've detailed before, Gailey's offense was predicated on how rapidly Fitz's accuracy declined as receivers ran down field. PFF did an analysis of time-to-throw for 2012, and Fitz had the greatest decline in accuracy when given more than 2.5 seconds to throw.

Chicken or the egg?

I believe it did.

I remember specifically seeing a statistical break down of OLs and how they performed on longer developing pass plays, and the Bills had trouble.

That being said, they were *fantastic* at run blocking.

I think Gailey designed his dink and dunk offense to hide both Fitz's and the O Line's deficiencies. Fitz couldn't throw deep and the line - a couple years ago - couldn't keep defenders out of the pocket for very long. It made sense to run short, quick routes.

I think the O Line was matured since then. And hopefully it will mature some more with a Head Coach who was a former lineman and line coach.

Some of the statistics indicate we had an exceptionally good line last year. But Spiller can do a lot with a very small hole. Freddy was hobbled last year but used to be among the league leaders in Yards After Contact. And Fitz rarely held onto the ball for very long so he didn't get sacked a lot. In other words, I think the QB and RBs helped make the line look good.

We'll see.

No.

The pass protection, as well as the rushing yards/carry were consistently above average for the past two complete years.

Either Fitz is a master at sack avoidance AND Spiller is awesome AND Fred Jackson is awesome ... or ... the O-line has done a really good job at a) protecting the QB and b) making holes for our running game.

After 32 weeks of overall consistency, I'm going with the latter.

Yes.

No.

The pass protection, as well as the rushing yards/carry were consistently above average for the past two complete years.

Either Fitz is a master at sack avoidance AND Spiller is awesome AND Fred Jackson is awesome ... or ... the O-line has done a really good job at a) protecting the QB and b) making holes for our running game.

After 32 weeks of overall consistency, I'm going with the latter.

I don't recall very my instances of Fitz standing in the pocket all day, waiting for a play to develop, waiting for his receivers to outrun DB's (see: Brady, Tom).

As for what you site cite relative to rushing: run blocking and pass blocking are two different things (a) and CJ and Fred are both above-average running backs, at the very least (b).

So, to answer OP's original question: Yes.

Edited by The Big Cat

One of RF's biggest strengths was his ability to direct the offensive line. Even so, he took it in the chin on the majority of pass plays. I was worried that if we drafted a QB with even a second slower release, our sack rate would probably triple. Luckily, I think EJ has a fast enough release to be ok, but our offensive line has never been "good."

Yes.

I don't recall very my instances of Fitz standing in the pocket all day, waiting for a play to develop, waiting for his receivers to outrun DB's (see: Brady, Tom).

As for what you site cite relative to rushing: run blocking and pass blocking are two different things (a) and CJ and Fred are both above-average running backs, at the very least (b).

So, to answer OP's original question: Yes.

And yet Tom Brady had the shortest "Time to Throw" in the entire NFL (Peyton Manning was 3rd)...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/07/signature-stat-snapshot-time-to-throw/

Nope, Fitz's elongated throwing motion not only allowed defenders to react faster, but it also added time to him holding onto the ball longer then people realized. His release time was actually on par with your average QB. It only seemed quicker b.c he had to start his windmill motion earlier.

Edited by BuffaloFood

The biggest issue on the offensive side was that the new qb coach they brought in started changing Fitz his mechanics, something he never got down. The line itself was good if not great when run blocking, a lot of that was on Levitre.

If offensive calls take too long to develop or your QB is indecisive the best Online on the planet won't be able to sustain blocks for long. Defenses are simply too good. With the speed and rhythm that this offense seems to operate don't think it will be too bad. That long bomb we like to throw maybe a problem though.

Edited by LVBillsBackr