Guard position battle not going so hot

MClem06

So based on your last paragraph, you wouldn't find it worth while to spend money on extending any of the following guys:

Wood

Spiller

Freddie

Chandler

Byrd

So give Levitre $8M/yr and try to sign Byrd for about the same. Then extend Wood and Spiller with what?

PTR

I really hope that this logic proves to be correct but I have a feeling that the Bills aren't going to sign these guys either. It smells of the Sabres with the Briere or Drury thing.

The Bills can't sign Levitre because guard's not that important, he wants to much and they need the money to sign Byrd, Spiller and Wood, then...

The Bills can't sign Byrd because safety's not that important, he wants to much and they need the money to sign Spiller, Wood and others...

What happens when Spiller and Wood want to be the highest paid at their positions? Let them go too? Is center any more important a position than guard? How important is a platooned RB in todays pass happy NFL? I can see the threads already.

Edited by vincec

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope that this logic proves to be correct but I have a feeling that the Bills aren't going to sign these guys either. It smells of the Sabres with the Briere or Drury thing.

The Bills can't sign Levitre because he wants to much and they need the money to sign Byrd, Spiller and Wood, then...

The Bills can't sign Byrd because he wants to much and they need the money to sign Spiller, Wood and others...

What happens when Spiller and Wood want to be the highest paid at their positions? Let them go too? Is center any more important a position than guard? How important is a platooned RB in todays pass happy NFL? I can see the threads already.

I understand the concern and am right there with you. I'm just pinning my hopes on the fact that--since Nix/Whaley have been here--the team has re-signed the vast majority of their priority FAs

Levitre is EXACTLY the type of player you overpay for if need be. why waste money on Mckelvin ($4.25/yr) and Brad Smith ($2 mil/yr after renegotiate). I reject the notion that OG is not important and easily replaced. you took a position AND entire unit of strength and made it a glaring weakness. You watch Chris Johnson of Tennessee just tear it up this year and watch CJ & Freddy get met in the backfield.

Letting Levitre go will rise to the level of stupidity that letting Pat Williams go did.

Top Ten Reasons to have signed Levitre:

#1- was best OL on team

#2- durable , hasn't missed a start in 64 games.

#3- versatile, can and has played guard, center and tackle..

#4- age, in his Prime

#5- mobile, one of the best at getting out to block on screens (CJ's best use).

#6- tough

#7- smart, penalty free

#8- elite pass protection

#9- has gotten better every year.

#10- one of the Top interior lineman in the league. considered a Pro-Bowl snub.

Levitre is EXACTLY the type of player you overpay for if need be. why waste money on Mckelvin ($4.25/yr) and Brad Smith ($2 mil/yr after renegotiate). I reject the notion that OG is not important and easily replaced. you took a position AND entire unit of strength and made it a glaring weakness. You watch Chris Johnson of Tennessee just tear it up this year and watch CJ & Freddy get met in the backfield.

Letting Levitre go will rise to the level of stupidity that letting Pat Williams go did.

Top Ten Reasons to have signed Levitre:

#1- was best OL on team

#2- durable , hasn't missed a start in 64 games.

#3- versatile, can and has played guard, center and tackle..

#4- age, in his Prime

#5- mobile, one of the best at getting out to block on screens (CJ's best use).

#6- tough

#7- smart, penalty free

#8- elite pass protection

#9- has gotten better every year.

#10- one of the Top interior lineman in the league. considered a Pro-Bowl snub.

Perfectly stated argument.

When you add the above to "mistake signings," the moral of the story is that it's better to overpay for someone you know is good than someone you hope is gonna be good.

Also it's better to pay and keep your own guys instead of overpaying to get other team's guys.

I understand the reasons why the Bills let him walk but I would have been perfectly fine with re-signing Andy at the same cost as the Titans paid.

I understand the arguments on both sides, but can we put the "should we have re-signed Levitre" topic to rest now? It's completely irrelevant to what is now going on at training camp. The guy is gone. The time will come for whoever is on the "right" side of the argument to say "I told you so" but that time is not now.

I understand the arguments on both sides, but can we put the "should we have re-signed Levitre" topic to rest now? It's completely irrelevant to what is now going on at training camp. The guy is gone. The time will come for whoever is on the "right" side of the argument to say "I told you so" but that time is not now.

irrelevant ? excepting, that they have no idea who his replacement is going to be ?

Did you forget the fact that he was a free agent and Bills did not have a choice in this matter?

On radio Levitre said that when the coaching staff was dismissed he was looking for a fresh start meaning not as a Buffalo BIll.

He thought the OL coach did a great job preparing him for games.

Did you forget the fact that he was a free agent and Bills did not have a choice in this matter?

On radio Levitre said that when the coaching staff was dismissed he was looking for a fresh start meaning not as a Buffalo BIll.

Great point. I had forgotten that he said that. Nothing short of topping the offer from the Titans would have been enough for Levitre to stay. He had a foot out the door the minute Gailey and his OL coach were shown the exit sign.

GO BILLS!!!

irrelevant ? excepting, that they have no idea who his replacement is going to be ?

Yes, irrelevant. It will not be known whether letting Levitre sign elsewhere was a good or bad decision until the Bills are playing regular season football and we have some actual game film to evaluate the position.

It's funny that last season it was reported a number of times that Levitre desperately wanted to remain a Bill and that he loved it in Buffalo and was engaged to a girl from Buffalo who used to be a Bills cheerleader and was trying to make a career here.........we aren't exactly talking about Willis McGahee complaining about the lack of women and entertainment in town or Marshawn Lynch feeling he couldn't even run over a pedestrian without getting harrassed by the 5-Oh. Levitre seemed pretty settled in.

eball is only interested in things we can control now. (which is actually nothing, but he can keep rubbing his lucky rabbit's foot during the preseason games and maybe convince himself that it is making a difference).

If you don't understand your past, you can't learn from it. The problem with hiring new coaches every 3 years is that the organization then still expects different results from the same actions......just because there are some new bosses on the field.

It remains to be seen but I think the idea was that Marrone being a Mike Tice type former OL coach was going to come in and be able to coach up the OL. Levitre was kind of a square peg on the all-gargantuan OL that Buddy Nix was trying to assemble. Buddy came in saying he wanted to get big and physical and Levitre was not that kind of guy. He was however, athletic and that allowed him to make blocks some lumbering OL could not and it kept him from being in awkward positions where he could be injured. At this point, I am hoping they talk Brandon Moore out of retirement. It would be kind of like signing Chris Villarial to replace Ruben Brown but at least you would be getting a proven pro who just might have a season or two left in him.

Desperately wanted to remain a Bill? Desperately? LOL. That's the best one I've heard.

What is said by impending free-agent players half way through their contract year can only be taken with a bolder of salt. It means nothing and anyone that's been around the block a couple of times should know that. What else is a player going to say at that time? "I can't wait to get the phuck out of here?"

But he was desperate all right. Desperate to enjoy his "once in a lifetime opportunity" as he put it.

GO BILLS!!!

No it's not because urbik, pears, Hairston and legursky are backups. They aren't starters and never will be nfl caliber starting linemen. They are warm bodies to put in when a starter goes down.

Levitre is a starter. Too bad it's in tx. Woods is a starter but the OL is so ****ty he has to do too much and it puts him in awkward positions where he gets injured. He'll get hurt again this year being out of position trying to figure out which pos to help urbik or whatever burger flipper gets put at lg where a pro bowler used to live.

Glenn showed promise early but sucked donkey balls late. He better get off the fuzzy nut or kolb then the new shiny toy will be wrecked.

RT is a lost cause. Nowhere on this team can you find an average RT.

It's gonna be year 14 in the ongoing train wreck. Shiny toys are not coming to the rescue no matter how many homers think so.

Were two guards an above average tackle and two capable backups away from a solid OL.

All the sunshine boys will be disappointed again.

3 wins will be impressive for this shitpile.

Edited by AKA Bigdog

No it's not because urbik, pears, Hairston and legursky are backups. They aren't starters and never will be nfl caliber starting linemen. They are warm bodies to put in when a starter goes down.

Levitre is a starter. Too bad it's in tx. Woods is a starter but the OL is so ****ty he has to do too much and it puts him in awkward positions where he gets injured. He'll get hurt again this year being out of position trying to figure out which pos to help urbik or whatever burger flipper gets put at lg where a pro bowler used to live.

Glenn showed promise early but sucked donkey balls late. He better get off the fuzzy nut or kolb then the new shiny toy will be wrecked.

It's gonna be year 14 in the ongoing train wreck. Shiny toys are not coming to the rescue no matter how many homers think so.

Were two guards an above average tackle and two capable backups away from a solid OL.

You want to make a bet on the 3 wins thing, skippy?

Brilliant work. Well thought out and reasoned with insight into the center position I never before thought possible. This post is a TSW tour de force.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I also recall his girlfriend tweeting about Levitre wanting to remain a Bill when some were speculating about why Levitre wanted to test the market. Men have a lot of pride but when the girlfriend is worried about the perception that her boyfriend/fiance wants out of town then she is probably trying to not let a man's pride get between her and living close to mama. I could be wrong, but so could you. We don't know, but what we do know is that Levitre excelled here, had made a life here and there was no indication that he ever wanted to leave. None. I get that the excuses take the sting out of the loss.

We’re all indebted to AKA Bigdog for

clearly stating what needed to be said.

Not only was it authentic Stadium Wall gibberish, but

it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.