Guard position battle not going so hot

MClem06

In the last press conference, Marrone called out Doug Legursky and Colin Brown for pretty much getting torched and not showing what he had hoped would come from that battle. I know that inside guard is not as important as the tackle spot but hearing this from coach doesn't exactly make you feel confident about a new QB coming in into that situation. Looking back when we finish this season I wonder how detrimental the Levitre loss will end up being to the development of the new offense as well as the new QB whoever it ends up being. This also could force an easier decision from Marrone on the QB to go in the direction of the more mobile QB Manuel since he'll be rolling away from the pressure or running for his life possibly. Was he lighting a fire or was he saying man we look like poop nuggets at that position?

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they were talking about it on the radio this morning and saying that they felt like it was an intentional comment by Marrone to fire up Brown and/or Legursky. But I was wondering if it might have been more of a subtle jab at the front office to go sign a veteran G who is clearly better than the crap we have now.

If the Bills wanted to solidify the position and gain some peace of mind, they could simply sign FA guard Brandon Moore.

I think it's more likely that Marrone knows Brown and Legursky will be adequate but that he wants to see improvement from the two.

Marrone doesn't seem to have a problem talking publicly about his players, positive or negative.

they were talking about it on the radio this morning and saying that they felt like it was an intentional comment by Marrone to fire up Brown and/or Legursky. But I was wondering if it might have been more of a subtle jab at the front office to go sign a veteran G who is clearly better than the crap we have now.

Do you think Brandon and the Bean Counters would stand in the way if Whaley wanted to pursue a veteran guard?

I'm assuming the latter, but could be either really

If the Bills wanted to solidify the position and gain some peace of mind, they could simply sign FA guard Brandon Moore.

I think it's more likely that Marrone knows Brown and Legursky will be adequate but that he wants to see improvement from the two.

Marrone doesn't seem to have a problem talking publicly about his players, positive or negative.

Do you think Brandon and the Bean Counters would stand in the way if Whaley wanted to pursue a veteran guard?

Agreed and I like the approach as well...if they were concerned, they'd at least reach out to Moore. Although I suppose one could consider the signing of Caldwell--who's been a starter in the past at OG--a sign of concern.

Could just be leaving the door open to suggest that he is expecting Caldwell to push and possibly win the spot?

Lets Brown and Legursky know that the decision isn't a done deal and they have real competition.

Whoever steps up is gonna win it.

He doesn't seem like he is fine with adequate performance.

Moore definitely didn't retire... "waiting for the right opportunity". Wants real money. I'd say give it to him. May also want to be on a contender, but it's not like he's so old he can't put in a year dealing with our mediocrity. Could definitely be a playoff team in a year.

OG aren't that easy to find. maybe if the rest of you line is great, you get buy with a body. But we had a hole there for years after Ruben Brown retired. Chump after chump.

Legursky, was a scrub who wouldn't have started any games if not for injury. Why was he allowed to walk? he sucks.

Judging by the FA cornerback signing recently and others, it appears that Whaley will continue the Bills tradition of dumpster diving.

But they will pay 5 mil per for McKelvin?? A completely mediocre corner who would not have received anywhere close to that deal on the open market.

And, hope they hit one a decent if unspectacular player once in awhile. Look at contenders, do they do the same year after year?

Is this the way well run franchises build a super bowl contending team? or is this the way a team builds a 9-7 possible wild card team to placate the masses? The O-line could be a big issue this year including the RT spot.

Marrone and company may be the only bright spot along with a couple of rookies this season.

Legursky, was a scrub who wouldn't have started any games if not for injury. Why was he allowed to walk? he sucks.

This is true.

And Colin Brown isn't great.

It may just be that they have two bad players that aren't playing well.

It can be that simple and I think it is.

Pure psychological/motivational ploy by Marrone. Mention it to the media, players hear it, results (hopefully) follow. I guarantee you Marrone isn't "sending any messages" to Whaley with these comments that he needs someone else to be signed. That sort of discussion would be direct and in private.

Why so Serious - Where you going to next on your Road game list? I'm down here in FL and Tampa Bay is a great destination game , awesome stadium and actually really nice fans. It's a great experience at that stadium.