What's Will Freddy's Role Be This Year?

FJ gets +/- 8 of 50% of carries. So, between 42-58% o the carries. Choice and whoever else at RB gets about 30 for the season. QB's get about 45. Others get a total of 10. That leaves 365 carries for CJ and FJ. I'd peg CJ at 200 carries. FJ at 165.

So... something like:

FJ 164 carries - 750 yards

CJ 200 carries - 1200 yards.

Yeah. I'm cool with that. :flirt:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we PLEASE see a lot more CJ and Freddy on the field at the same time? They are both more than capable receivers. Freddy, IMO is a very underrated lead blocker and we all know he is a devastating pass protector. I remember when CJ got drafted a lot of draft nerds said he was talented enough to be an NFL receiver. There's just so much you could do with these two beasts in terms of mismatches and misdirection. I hate to be that guy that refers to Madden, but I'd always package them on the field together and really piss off my friends, even lost a few friends from the ass whoopins and trash talking that coincided with my abilities. Anyways, Gailey commented on the Spiller/Jackson package last year, his reasoning was that you don't want to hinge too much of your playbook with the two on field, because if one got hurt, you'd lose a lot your plays.... WTF? That was about the stupidest thing I've heard him say. Ok, so let's not play two of your best players at the same time and have this awesome, creative playbook, because if they get hurt, we wouldn't be able to run those plays. Gailey...smh. I'm pumped about Marrone.

We've been saying for a couple years how we need to get CJ and Freddy on the field at the same time. Hell, even Chan said he wanted to. Unfortunately that has never accumulated to anything more than just talk.

People can joke all they want about CJ getting winded. But I was at every home game last season. And I remember being in games until the 2nd half when Chan abandoned the running game. I specifically remember the Miami game where CJ pretty much took the offense singlehandlely from 20 to 20 only to be pulled in the red zone. He was on the sideline making a case to go in and he got no love. In that same red zone stint of approximately 12 plays (don't remember exactly) he was not in a single play. Even Stevie was out most of that time. Chan was just an idiot. He constantly took his best players off the field at the worst times. (Like CJ on 3rd down) I for one am glad he's gone.

I really hope Freddy can make it back healthy even though he has proved to be injury prone in his later year (last 3 seasons with season ending injuries). I truly hope they both see many carries, but anyone that's fooling themselves into thinking CJ shouldn't be on the field as much as he can handle shouldn't even watch football anymore. He's not only the most explosive and dangerous person on this team, he might be one of the most in the league.

Can we PLEASE see a lot more CJ and Freddy on the field at the same time?

This will be interesting to see. Fans always want this but coaches for some reason are very reluctant to do it. Coach Gailey said he was going to, but didn't. Tom Landry said he was going to put Tony Dorsett and Herschel Walker on the field at the same time but didn't. Giants never had 2 out of the 3 Jacobs, Ward, and Bradshaw in at once.

Now Hackett is saying he is, will be interesting to see if they actually do.

I love Freddy. But I remember some people on this board saying last season that he looked like he was playing in quicksand. Post injury, I am not sure we will see the same guy we saw a couple years ago. I want this very much - to have both guys be very effective and our worst problem be quibbling about who should get more carries. But just not sure. Worried about his knee/age.

With CJ being clearly the main man, I'm willing to bet there's some though of cutting Fred for the roster spot. So there's a chance he could be a late cut if they feel too weak in other areas.

now that's just crazy. Someone slipped acid in your Cheerios. Edited by mrags

With CJ being clearly the main man, I'm willing to bet there's some though of cutting Fred for the roster spot. So there's a chance he could be a late cut if they feel too weak in other areas.

I am sure there is no 'though' by front office in cutting FJ. Some thoughtlessness by fans though.

This will be interesting to see. Fans always want this but coaches for some reason are very reluctant to do it. Coach Gailey said he was going to, but didn't. Tom Landry said he was going to put Tony Dorsett and Herschel Walker on the field at the same time but didn't. Giants never had 2 out of the 3 Jacobs, Ward, and Bradshaw in at once.

Now Hackett is saying he is, will be interesting to see if they actually do.

I hear that. I don't recall seeing too many Reggie Bush/Pierre Thomas packages when he was under Payton in New Orleans. And I feel like Jackson and Spiller are similar in skill set to them as well. It's weird, also if I had to compare Da'Rick Rogers to any pro, it would probably be Marques Colston, too.

freddy needs to be a part of the game plan, and there is no indication that he won't be. he has tremendous value to this team on and off the field. it is very clear that the torch has been passed from fred to cj, but to think that he should be phased out is just crazy talk. he gives all he's got every play (which has gotten him in trouble with fumbles as of late) and is an emotional leader for the bills. also, i think that his role as player/leader/mentor is going to pay large dividends for this very young team.

I agree with the people saying we need them both on the field at the same time. Gailey was incapable of creative thought at times. And the people saying other coaches in similar situations didn't do it much either, please offer some theory to why it didn't happen, I haven't a clue. You use the dynamic players you have to create mismatches; basic tenet of football. I hate to say it but look at the 2 tightend thing NE*** did the last few years. Billicheat found a way because he IS creative.

Hackett says that the five best need to be on the field at the same time. Makes sense. On the other hand, there aren't a lot of successful offensive schemes that utilize two HBs.

I know a lot of people are enamored with CJ - and rightly so - but a couple years ago Freddy was a beast. I believe he was leading the league in Yards After Contact. He was practically a one man offense for a while. If he returns to form, he needs some touches.

Marrone and Hackett seem like creative guys. Let's see if they are creative enough to find a way to get both these guys on the field.

I am sure there is no 'though' by front office in cutting FJ. Some thoughtlessness by fans though.

I hope not too (love Fred) but if this team is losing games because of weak special teams, or poor depth at the DB or LG position--and Fred rarely is in the mix on offense, it'll be a dis-service to the team to keep him.

Hackett has said more than once that he wants the five best skill positions on the field. I can't imagine he doesn't count both CJ and FredEx amongst the top five.

Marrone says:

“I think we’ve got two good running backs that are established in this league that have done well. I think it’d be too soon to say exactly what (Jackson’s) role is. You see them in a lot of different situations. I think we have a lot of things we can do with them.”

http://www.democrata...le-Fred-Jackson

Pat Kirwan says:

"The Bills are going to be a very dangerous "20" personnel team (two running backs. three wide receivers). Expect to see a lot of Fred Jackson and C.J. Spiller on the field together with Stevie Johnson, Robert Woods and probably T.J. Graham. Spiller can split out to wide receiver, Jackson is a willing blocker if they want to run power and there's lots of speed on the outside."

http://www.cbssports...ooks-to-get-nod

If Freddy returns to his 2011 form, he needs to be on the field. But where? Fortunately, as we all know, he's versatile. He's not a crushing lead blocker but he's excellent at blitz pick-up. He's a talented, determined runner and a solid pass-catcher. And he's also a humble, team-player who's willing to do anything asked of him. I'm wondering how creative Marrone & Hackett might be in getting him on the field with C.J. Any guesses?

Time for a little wishbone

Guessing, that Fred will be held back to pickup the blitz Since Wood (if upright for the whole season) has to help either

Urbik, or _____ ________ at LG. Someone will be getting through. If pears is the RT then it's even worse.

Teams will be putting a lot of non stop heat on the rookie QB, on obvious passing downs.

This is what i truly believe ...

Fred Jackson if he is healthy is a critical part to this team. His main role will be team captain. He will get more touches than we think. I say both CJ and Fred need each other.

CJ will get the most touches in his pro career but I think it will be like 60 -40 percent in favor of CJ. CJ is too explosive not to get the ball the most. But Fred needs to handle that fumbling issue. That one against the Pats in NE killed us last year.

If Fred has another 2010 season in him we will be dangerous on offense.

I hope not too (love Fred) but if this team is losing games because of weak special teams, or poor depth at the DB or LG position--and Fred rarely is in the mix on offense, it'll be a dis-service to the team to keep him.

if they are losing because of poor special teams or poor depth at db or lg you don't cut your team captain and more than capable number 2 running back, you cut the special teamer or db or lg and go get a new one.

LT on NFL network was talking about CJ and Fred saying how special it is to have both of them especially with Fred healthy. He was saying CJ 18+ carries, Fred 10+ not to mention Fred being their for pass protection.

288+ CJ

160+ FJ

this is the best scenario.

http://www.democrata...le-Fred-Jackson

Pat Kirwan says:

"The Bills are going to be a very dangerous "20" personnel team (two running backs. three wide receivers). Expect to see a lot of Fred Jackson and C.J. Spiller on the field together with Stevie Johnson, Robert Woods and probably T.J. Graham. Spiller can split out to wide receiver, Jackson is a willing blocker if they want to run power and there's lots of speed on the outside."

http://www.cbssports...ooks-to-get-nod

That formation sounds like one where they Bills can't run the ball and can't pick up a blitz.

This is what i truly believe ...

Fred Jackson if he is healthy is a critical part to this team. His main role will be team captain. He will get more touches than we think. I say both CJ and Fred need each other.

CJ will get the most touches in his pro career but I think it will be like 60 -40 percent in favor of CJ. CJ is too explosive not to get the ball the most. But Fred needs to handle that fumbling issue. That one against the Pats in NE killed us last year.

If Fred has another 2010 season in him we will be dangerous on offense.

Given his age, recent injuries and limited role behind CJ, Jackson will likely be gone soon. He's done well here but I don't really see much of a role for him unless Spiller get's hurt frankly.