Mario's contract is basically a 2 year deal

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I think Mario is only a good to very good DE....it would be insane to cut him after this year. We haven't had anything close to a GOOD to VERYGOOD DE in many years. And he is right in his prime and should be for 4 more years.

I think that the reporters are trying to point out that the wrist injury was not a real one, but something mostly psychosomatic and Williams' procedure had a placebo effect. What kind of surgery could he have had if he was ready to play within one week?

carpal tunnel ?

What is carpal tunnel syndrome?

Carpal tunnel syndrome occurs when the median nerve, which runs from the forearm into the palm of the hand, becomes pressed or squeezed at the wrist. The median nerve controls sensations to the palm side of the thumb and fingers (although not the little finger), as well as impulses to some small muscles in the hand that allow the fingers and thumb to move. The carpal tunnel - a narrow, rigid passageway of ligament and bones at the base of the hand - houses the median nerve and tendons. Sometimes, thickening from irritated tendons or other swelling narrows the tunnel and causes the median nerve to be compressed. The result may be pain, weakness, or numbness in the hand and wrist, radiating up the arm. Although painful sensations may indicate other conditions, carpal tunnel syndrome is the most common and widely known of the entrapment neuropathies in which the body's peripheral nerves are compressed or traumatized.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/carpal_tunnel/detail_carpal_tunnel.htm

Seriously though, WTF is wrong with the people that want to run Mario out of town?

You all have deep seeded personal issue you need to resolve.

It is OK if people make money and are well payed, you don't have to hate them.

thats not why i hate him.

Its because he does not put the effort in that Kyle Willaims does.

i believe its seated not seeded : )

oh and i do have a serious dislike like for the man. But i am willing to change when i see him pursue the play

Or, maybe, just maybe, Mario is resting a small injury a week BEFORE the first pre-season game. Funny thing, everybody called him out on the arm, yet once he got surgery, he played up to expectations (if you were paying attention).

And leave it to Sully to stir the pot days after the nonsensical, pointless hubbub had died down.

MMD, you and Jerry Sullivan and your shared negativity are about as useful as the non-Glengarry leads.

what would make you think he cares about a preseason game ? honestly .

what would make you think he cares about a preseason game ? honestly .

and i really payed attention this past season Edited by 3rdand12

We went over this when it happened. He had his wrist "scoped," which is a minimally invasive procedure. In a very simple sense, the Dr. inserts a narrow tube that clears out the "junk." In Mario's case he had scar tissue removed from his ligaments/tendons which immediately increased his range of motion and alleviated the pain he was suffering.

Arthroscopic Wrist Surgery: http://www.assh.org/...rthroscopy.aspx

Good factual post (which is in short reply in this topic, btw).

I had a chuckle with the link's URL…

This thread is the epitome of what a pathetic franchise does to its fans. Mario Williams is a fantastic player. One of the best at his position. Just because he's not the skinny, lanky speed rusher that we've grown to love people want him out of here already? Please, study the game. After his early injury issues Mario was great for us. And he will be going forward. He'll play out most of if not all of this deal.

Also, what does it say if we just cut a player two years after giving him a huge deal? Terrible negotiating tactic. THINK.

Good factual post (which is in short reply in this topic, btw).

I had a chuckle with the link's URL…

I'll play jw for a moment. I hear the answers, but they don't add up.

The examples of procedures provided deal mostly with lingering injuries. The part that doesn't add up is that Gailey said that Mario injured his wrist in the last preseason game. Maybe our real doctors can chime in, but can someone get carpal tunnel by playing defensive line? Can you get it by hurting the wrist in one game, as opposed to repeated motions with the fingers? I imagine most people on this board are better candidates for carpal tunneI procedures than Mario. If it is scar tissue related, how does that pop up in one game, as opposed to something that's been building up and leading to discomfort and discovered at an earlier time?

I didn't really want to get into a forensic discussion of Mario's injuries, but if you start looking at the chain of events, they look out of place. Other than whatever procedure Mario needed to have to clear his head to play better - it worked.

This thread is the epitome of what a pathetic franchise does to its fans. Mario Williams is a fantastic player. One of the best at his position. Just because he's not the skinny, lanky speed rusher that we've grown to love people want him out of here already? Please, study the game. After his early injury issues Mario was great for us. And he will be going forward. He'll play out most of if not all of this deal.

Also, what does it say if we just cut a player two years after giving him a huge deal? Terrible negotiating tactic. THINK.

+1, these threads do allow intelligent fans to recognize the other half though, so they do have purpose.

Where do you get the idea he is our best pass rusher. I think we will see he is not the sac leader this year and he will use the excuse he is double teamed etc. Bruce was doubled every play..and he was the leader each year...he was a leader.

He's not just our best pass rusher, he's our ONLY pass rusher that has ever put up respectable numbers in the NFL.

I'll play jw for a moment. I hear the answers, but they don't add up.

The examples of procedures provided deal mostly with lingering injuries. The part that doesn't add up is that Gailey said that Mario injured his wrist in the last preseason game. Maybe our real doctors can chime in, but can someone get carpal tunnel by playing defensive line? Can you get it by hurting the wrist in one game, as opposed to repeated motions with the fingers? I imagine most people on this board are better candidates for carpal tunneI procedures than Mario. If it is scar tissue related, how does that pop up in one game, as opposed to something that's been building up and leading to discomfort and discovered at an earlier time?

I didn't really want to get into a forensic discussion of Mario's injuries, but if you start looking at the chain of events, they look out of place. Other than whatever procedure Mario needed to have to clear his head to play better - it worked.

I'm not a doctor, but from what I understand, one can develop scar tissue on his ligaments through numerous injuries, small and big. Once there is some scar tissue, that scar tissue begets more scar tissue. It seems to be the case that he probably had some scar tissue (he is a football player after all), and whatever happened in the final preseason game was the straw that broke the camel's back.

It is also entirely possible that Mario's hand/wrist was in tip-top shape, but by "playing through" the alleged injury sustained in the final preseason game, scar tissue developed over those few weeks and his injury became worse as a result.

So, while I don't *know* that either of the above scenarios are 100% true, I have no reason to doubt that they aren't. Just like you probably have no reason to doubt Stevie's hamstring injury. Or Kolb suffering a freak injury when the FO "wants" EJ to win the job. Or why no one questioned the beloved Fred Jackson or CJ Spiller when they missed practices throughout last year.

I get that Mario is under the microscope, but I feel like there's nothing that suspicious about his injuries. Perhaps some poor handling by the PR dept. and/or the FO/coaching staff as far as how these things were presented/hidden from the press, but there seems to be a fine line between satisfying the public's thirst for information, and not creating a panic, nor providing anything that might give the competition an edge. The Bills were less than graceful navigating this territory, but I don't fault Mario for that.

Uncle Flap is right on the scar tissue points. That's exactly what can happen. My guess on the foot is it was a small injury, but it's a Wiley veteran trying to get out of camp. I really don't care if he sits, but what I would like Marrone to do is say in private of course, "hey if your hurt, and verified, no problem, but come to practice for the mental reps, and if it is a foot issue, workout with the team on your upper body.

This probably did happen, and as long as he produces like a top pass rusher on a much better coached team this year, I expect him to get at least 15 sacks this year and multiple pressures on Marcia and so on.

I'm actually not worried about Mario. He'll have a good year.

Psychosomatic or not, anyone who knows the importance of hand placement by D linemen could plainly see he was playing with one hand last season and when he returned after the break, he wasn't.

GO BILLS!!!

Why don't we wait until we see how he plays this year? Many fans wanted to run Bruce out of town, also. There was the drug suspension and numerous complaints about his contract. He even signed an offer sheet from the Broncos, I believe to leave the Bills. As far as training camp the stories about made up injuries to prevent practicing are legendary. Let's see him play first, ok?

Uncle Flap is right on the scar tissue points. That's exactly what can happen. My guess on the foot is it was a small injury, but it's a Wiley veteran trying to get out of camp. I really don't care if he sits, but what I would like Marrone to do is say in private of course, "hey if your hurt, and verified, no problem, but come to practice for the mental reps, and if it is a foot issue, workout with the team on your upper body.

This probably did happen, and as long as he produces like a top pass rusher on a much better coached team this year, I expect him to get at least 15 sacks this year and multiple pressures on Marcia and so on.

I'm actually not worried about Mario. He'll have a good year.

Yeah, Marcellus sure knows how to get out of camp:

PLUS: PRO FOOTBALL -- BUFFALO; Smith's Successor Has Back Surgery

Bills defensive end Marcellus Wiley, considered Bruce Smith's successor on the right side, will miss all of training camp while he recovers from back surgery. Doctors repaired a bulging disk in his lower back last weekend, and he will be sidelined four to six weeks. The former Columbia University star hurt his back while working out on his own two weeks ago. The Bills will have to go with the rookie Erik Flowers, their top pick in April's draft, and Shawn Price, who backs up Phil Hansen...

July 11, 2000

Just kidding.

I think you're right that it's a probably not a major injury, and that Mario is milking it to stay fresh for the season. I also wonder if the "controversy" might have stemmed from Marrone himself being totally on board with Mario taking it easy, but not wanting to appear as a coach who lets players "slack."

I mentioned in another thread that I do believe it's tough to walk the fine line between transparency and not wanting to cause a panic, and although the Bills may have botched this situation (and others, in the recent past), I still don't think it's a big deal.

I think Marrone was being honest, but perhaps "lied" by omission. That is to say, he didn't know the all the specifics surrounding Mario's status, but knew that it wasn't worth worrying about. However, his fault lies in not anticipating that everything with Mario is a big deal, and downplaying the importance would make Marrone appear out of the loop.

Oh well, not a big deal in my book. I'm not going to hit the panic button, like I did early last year. I was livid with Mario, but once it became clear what dominating force he was, and came to understand his aloofness, I'm now a big fan. I even wrote something like, "I don't even care if he starts producing, I still will think he's a chump." I guess talent/production trumps all. Hope that doesn't make me shallow.

Yeah, Marcellus sure knows how to get out of camp:

Just kidding.

I think you're right that it's a probably not a major injury, and that Mario is milking it to stay fresh for the season. I also wonder if the "controversy" might have stemmed from Marrone himself being totally on board with Mario taking it easy, but not wanting to appear as a coach who lets players "slack."

I mentioned in another thread that I do believe it's tough to walk the fine line between transparency and not wanting to cause a panic, and although the Bills may have botched this situation (and others, in the recent past), I still don't think it's a big deal.

I think Marrone was being honest, but perhaps "lied" by omission. That is to say, he didn't know the all the specifics surrounding Mario's status, but knew that it wasn't worth worrying about. However, his fault lies in not anticipating that everything with Mario is a big deal, and downplaying the importance would make Marrone appear out of the loop.

Oh well, not a big deal in my book. I'm not going to hit the panic button, like I did early last year. I was livid with Mario, but once it became clear what dominating force he was, and came to understand his aloofness, I'm now a big fan. I even wrote something like, "I don't even care if he starts producing, I still will think he's a chump." I guess talent/production trumps all. Hope that doesn't make me shallow.

I agree with most of this but regarding the bold text, everything with Mario is a big deal ONLY to those who think it's a big deal. All that matters is what he does between the lines and up to this point, what he's has done between the lines over the course of his career has been done at a superior level compared to most players. Marrone knows this, as do the guys on the team. The only people who AREN'T aware of this are those that haven't watched his career and/or are confused by the type of DE he is (or isn't, depending on point of view).

GO BILLS!!!

How to ignore someone on TBD.

Once logged in go to the top of the browser and click the arrow next to your log in name.

Choose "Manage Ignore Prefs"

Under "add a new user to my list"

Type MitchMurraydowntown. It should auto fill by the time you type MitchM.

Click Posts

Click Save Changes.

it's not about how much he makes, it's about how he plays and how his money is keeping us from signing other (better) players in Levitre and Byrd. What if he costs us Eric Wood? I'd be really PO'd at that.

It was all cool to get the so called greatest DE out there and that we would actually spend huge money on a player showing that Ralph isn't cheap and that we are trying to get better. However big contracts are detriment to the team and in the long run makes us less competitive on and off the field by limiting us in free agency and over all quality of talent on the field.

I would point out the Bills have never had a cap issue.

Now if there is an internal accounting issue that is different but the Bills have no issues with regard to Cap Space and extending Byrd, Wood, Spiller AND Mario's contract on the payroll.

thats not why i hate him.

Its because he does not put the effort in that Kyle Willaims does.

i believe its seated not seeded : )

oh and i do have a serious dislike like for the man. But i am willing to change when i see him pursue the play

and i really payed attention this past season

If you feel Mario doesn't give full effort you're welcome to that opinion. I don't agree but I respect the opinion.

It is vastly different than some people's strange crusade to prove Mario Williams 365 days on the Buffalo Bills was a complete waste of time, effort, and money.

You are correct it is seated . . . Interesting. I thought it was seeded like planting a seed but actually it is seated like firmly embedded.

You lean something new everyday. . .

I believe it is "Williams" and not "Willaims" ;-)

Edited by Why So Serious?

How to ignore someone on TBD.

Once logged in go to the top of the browser and click the arrow next to your log in name.

Choose "Manage Ignore Prefs"

Under "add a new user to my list"

Type MitchMurraydowntown. It should auto fill by the time you type MitchM.

Click Posts

Click Save Changes.

I would point out the Bills have never had a cap issue.

Now if there is an internal accounting issue that is different but the Bills have no issues with regard to Cap Space and extending Byrd, Wood, Spiller AND Mario's contract on the payroll.

If you feel Mario doesn't give full effort you're welcome to that opinion. I don't agree but I respect the opinion.

It is vastly different than some people's strange crusade to prove Mario Williams 365 days on the Buffalo Bills was a complete waste of time, effort, and money.

You are correct it is seated . . . Interesting. I thought it was seeded like planting a seed but actually it is seated like firmly embedded.

You lean something new everyday. . .

I believe it is "Williams" and not "Willaims" ;-)

Lol .thanks . breasts learn not lean .

I hope you know my opinions change and i am full of errors. But i also am willing to learn.

We can truly hope that Mario "gets after it " this year. He has one shitton of potential and is in the right place at the right time with Pettine and the supporting cast. But i want him to change my mind . I cant accept yet that he is the best pass rusher we have . It was true last year as mentioned up stream , but it was by default.

Thank you again for being the gentleman WSS !

i expect alot more activity coming at opposing QBs this year from all over the field and that makes everyone look good : )

Go Bills!

Lol .thanks . breasts learn not lean .

I hope you know my opinions change and i am full of errors. But i also am willing to learn.

We can truly hope that Mario "gets after it " this year. He has one shitton of potential and is in the right place at the right time with Pettine and the supporting cast. But i want him to change my mind . I cant accept yet that he is the best pass rusher we have . It was true last year as mentioned up stream , but it was by default.

Thank you again for being the gentleman WSS !

i expect alot more activity coming at opposing QBs this year from all over the field and that makes everyone look good : )

Go Bills!

Some breasts lean. And as much as they may learn, they've certainly taught me a thing or two.

GO BILLS!!!