Portable tailgate TV questions..

Anybody know anything about small portable TVs to use while tailgating at Bills games. I realize that I need a digital signal so I'd assume that the ones with antennas no longer work? Is my only option the dish network or direct TV portables? I'd prefer to avoid monthly fees. My friends and I usually stick around for a couple hours after the game as traffic thins out and It would be nice to watch the 4pm games. Any info would be great. Thanks!

A TV antenna will work as long as the TV is designed to receive digital signals. Here's one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=827571&Q=&is=REG&A=details

The key piece of information there is ATSC. That means the TV can receive OTA (over the air) digital signals.

I live in North Buffalo and get channels 2, 4, and 7 most of the time with a very basic antenna. Those channels have their digital transmitters somewhere near East Aurora. Fox comes in pretty much all the time for me, it's transmitter is on Grand Island.

From the stadium parking lot, with a basic antenna, you should be able to easily pick up 2, 4, and 7. Fox might be more problematic.

On Verizon with the NFL App you can stream games and such. With Google Chromecast you can then stream that to any TV with an HDMI hook up. Chromecast is $35 and still available at many Best Buy stores in my area.

So, if you have an old TV you can just get an adapter to HDMI if it does not have one. Then with NFL Mobile App you can watch regular programming there and games.

And, if you happen to have TimeWarner you can stream that on your devices. Or, you can get a Slingbox and use your Verizon phone to sync it. It's really not that hard or technical with todays technology and apps. If you have unlimited data then you will be well off...

Edited by jboyst62

On Verizon with the NFL App you can stream games and such. With Google Chromecast you can then stream that to any TV with an HDMI hook up. Chromecast is $35 and still available at many Best Buy stores in my area.

So, if you have an old TV you can just get an adapter to HDMI if it does not have one. Then with NFL Mobile App you can watch regular programming there and games.

And, if you happen to have TimeWarner you can stream that on your devices. Or, you can get a Slingbox and use your Verizon phone to sync it. It's really not that hard or technical with todays technology and apps. If you have unlimited data then you will be well off...

Only catch with the NFL Mobile app is that video is disabled during the game and for a period after within a mile of the stadium. I looked it up before, I'll see if I can find the restrictions.

Found it:

NFL mobile streaming video is not available in and around the stadiums where games are taking place.
  • Live Streaming Video, NFL App V CAST Video, NFL Network and RedZone is blocked on the device at the stadium at which any game is being played. This includes a one mile radius of that stadium.
  • Video Block starts one hour before kickoff and lasts for five hours.
  • Users are able to access the basic features of NFL Mobile, including streaming audio, scores and news.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/158818-one-billion-dollars-deal-for-verizon-mobile-to-stream-games/#entry2823928

I also have Sirius, so at the opener I am likely to just bring my Sirius unit to pull it from the space.

That is interesting about the video being disabled... I could still use my DLNA streaming from my home TV here in NC.

If you don't have Sirius/XM and want to listen to other games a good option is TuneIn Radio. I've found quite a few stations that broadcast games there: Chargers, Niners just to name a couple. You may have to search a little for them because some (most?) stations black out the games- I could be wrong. I'm not sure if Dial Global (formerly Westwood One) has a channel on TuneIn but they still do national broadcasts, too.

Anybody know anything about small portable TVs to use while tailgating at Bills games. I realize that I need a digital signal so I'd assume that the ones with antennas no longer work? Is my only option the dish network or direct TV portables? I'd prefer to avoid monthly fees. My friends and I usually stick around for a couple hours after the game as traffic thins out and It would be nice to watch the 4pm games. Any info would be great. Thanks!

The new digital HD sets all work off an antenna too, assuming you can pick up a local station, which at RWS should be no problem. You can get a set for small money and just hook up an aerial. You might need a DC-to-AC voltage inverter to power it unless there are HD sets that work on 12V DC. I suppose you could also bring a working Direct TV receiver if you really want to get crazy but I don't know if the inverter can run all that stuff.

PTR

The new digital HD sets all work off an antenna too, assuming you can pick up a local station, which at RWS should be no problem. You can get a set for small money and just hook up an aerial. You might need a DC-to-AC voltage inverter to power it unless there are HD sets that work on 12V DC. I suppose you could also bring a working Direct TV receiver if you really want to get crazy but I don't know if the inverter can run all that stuff.

PTR

There is always something out there:

And if it is sunny...

http://www.goalzero.com/shop/p/140/Goal-Zero-Yeti-1250-Solar-Generator/2:8/

A slingbox setup creatively hooked up somewhere in say a friends, or relatives house in Buffalo would allow watching anything including Bills games anywhere in the country, including tailgates in parking lots in orchard park.

I don't know why more people don't do that?

A slingbox setup creatively hooked up somewhere in say a friends, or relatives house in Buffalo would allow watching anything including Bills games anywhere in the country, including tailgates in parking lots in orchard park.

Only problem I see with that is the bandwidth issue. Think even with a 4 g hotspot, pretty rough for the first 30 minutes after the game. But I may be wrong on that.

At the Richmond games, we just use a OTA antenna , TVs are so cheap now and they all have the tuners now. Course, you are restricted to what's on broadcast.

Edited by plenzmd1

There is always something out there:

And if it is sunny...

http://www.goalzero.com/shop/p/140/Goal-Zero-Yeti-1250-Solar-Generator/2:8/

I don't know why more people don't do that?

Most modern TVs are fairly energy efficient. You can likely run a 19-24" set on an inverter, though you may want the engine ruining when you do.

PTR

I run a 40 inch LCD off a small generator (in addition to a few other things). Before the game we hook up a DVD player or use the micro HDMI port on most newer phones to watch highlights on youtube and bills films. After the game we hook up an antenna. We use the Leaf Indoor HDTV antenna. It is paper thin and works well outside. I have always been able to get the later game on it provided it is on 2, 4 or 7. Just keep it under cover. Last year I had Sunday Ticket Max however, the games would go to black when I tried to get them to play at the stadium or when I tried to hook it up to the TV. I really think a HD antenna is your best bet and a low cost option if you do not care about what late game you watch. I am going to look into slingbox and see how that might work.

You just need one of those converter boxes. We have done it befoe for Sunday Night games & the opener some of the people that do not have tickets bring a flat screen & use that. It has worked for us. Of course you are not going to get any additional channels but if you just want to watch one of the games you will get 2/4/7/fox which should serve your purposes.

Why do you figure that is?

It seems that the NFL and the individual teams want you to buy their own (read: double dip) apps and/or devices. So you can watch Red Zone if you get one of those doohickeys Just Jack has posted about; Or use, what I expect the Bills to have this year (many teams do already), a downloaded app that only works in the stadium that gives you some of the following features:

In hopes of enhancing the in-stadium experience for fans, all 32 teams will have free Wi-Fi internet access available and the creation of smartphone apps will allow fans to listen to players wearing microphones on the field. Also, fans will be able to see the same replay angles that referees under the hood watch when there is an instant play challenge of a disputed call. Last year, the league required that teams have the NFL Red Zone channel in their stadiums, which tracks games league-wide and shows them when a team gets inside the opponent’s 20-yard line.

http://min.scout.com/2/1199288.html

Most modern TVs are fairly energy efficient. You can likely run a 19-24" set on an inverter, though you may want the engine ruining when you do.

PTR

True... But that solar panel thing way too cool of a toy! Same with the battery generator (Yeti)...1200+ watts. Too bad it is like 2 grand for the panels and generator... Would be cool to play around with & show off! LoL...

I get a Yeti with a couple Boulders (Goal Zero's big solar panels) and the wife murders me! ;-)