Dr. Z Rates NFL Commentators

theNose76

Just read Dr. Z's review of the year for the NFL game commentating crews for all the networks. Pretty straightforward stuff and while long is also a very interesting read. He puts it in good perspective.

Here is the article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylc=X3oD...cnnsi&type=lgns

And here is my favorite part:

Mike Patrick, Joe Theismann and Paul Maguire, ESPN -- How is it earthly possible to drop from half a star to none? Easy. They used to provide a teeny weeny bit of information. Now they provide none. And they contradict themselves, often from one series to the next. I don't think they're really fully aware of what they're saying. Theismann in the early KC-Denver game: "The single most classic rivalry in TV." Hmmm. Does Chicago still play Green Bay? Maguire on Cleveland-Baltimore, Week 9: "Jamal Lewis averages six yards a carry. All you have to do is keep giving it to him, and you'll keep getting in second-and-four situations." My God! Brian Billick must be told immediately! Theismann, Bills-Patriots, Week 10, after Brady throws a pick: "You've got to figure the receiver went where he shouldn't." Absolutely. Great QBs never throw interceptions on their own. And through all this, the slow, half goofy drone of Patrick, with every word emphasized, no matter how meaningless. "And tonight! We have sixty-three! Thousand! Fans!" (Whew). Oh, we get some inside stuff all right. Theismann on his exclusive interview with Pittsburgh defensive coach Dick LeBeau during the Steelers-Jaguars telecast: "I saw Dick LeBeau before the game, and I told him, 'Nice to have you back,' and do you know what he told me?" No, what? "Nice to be back." And of course, there's Suzy Kolber and her sideline essays that run right through the live action, and finally, some serious pregame handicapping -- again from Theismann. This was before the contest in which Oakland upset the Broncos: "They can just forget about throwing the ball to Jerry Porter when Champ Bailey's on him. There's no place to get the ball in." That was the game in which Porter caught touchdowns off Bailey for 42 and 14 yards, plus another 52-yarder off him. But so what? Who remembers what is said? Who cares? Me, your faithful narrator, your TV guide.

;):w00t::( Surprised he didn't mention their man love for Mike Vick :P

Just read Dr. Z's review of the year for the NFL game commentating crews for all the networks.  Pretty straightforward stuff and while long is also a very interesting read.  He puts it in good perspective.

Here is the article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylc=X3oD...cnnsi&type=lgns

And here is my favorite part:

;)  :w00t:  :(  Surprised he didn't mention their man love for Mike Vick  :P

203588[/snapback]

I hate Theismann & Maguire as well...but Mike Patrick is the best play by play guy this side of Al Michaels.

I hate Theismann & Maguire as well...but Mike Patrick is the best play by play guy this side of Al Michaels.

203661[/snapback]

I think those 2 hate each other, they're always arguing. THeisman is public enemy #1 though, I believe he was on the crew for the home run throwup game. God damn i hate him.

I remember watching a Giants preseason game probably five years ago and one of their back-up safeties put a nice hit on a wideout and Mike Patrick said "Receivers better take notice 'so and so' is half Cherokee Indian." I thought it was hilarious, because nobody said a word about it.

I wonder if Dr. Z ever hits the backspace button while writing an article? Of course, the TV guys can't do that while they're talking on live TV.

Somewhat amusing that Dr. Z can sit in such judgement of TV commentators. But it was refreshing to see such honesty in print - you don't often see media guys being so openly opinionated about other media guys.

I think those 2 hate each other, they're always arguing.  THeisman is public enemy #1 though, I believe he was on the crew for the home run throwup game.  God damn i hate him.

203670[/snapback]

Occasionally during their opening monologues, after Theisman's done and they pull out before panning to Macguire...you can see Macgurire laughing at Theisman.

I think ESPN should counter the Madden "horse trailer" with the Theismann "My balls have been washed by Joey T." award. This goes to the player who Theismann chooses to fawn over for an entire game. Two of his worst cases of ball washing this year were when Vick or Favre were on the Sunday night game.

PS Theismann has the goods on somebody high up at ESPN. There is no other explanation for him keeping that job for so many years. Somebody please make him go away!!

I think those 2 hate each other, they're always arguing.  THeisman is public enemy #1 though, I believe he was on the crew for the home run throwup game.  God damn i hate him.

203670[/snapback]

I know a producer for ESPN who told me that McGuire HATES Thiesman, but Thiesman has no idea because he is stupid and an egomaniac (how could anyone hate me?).

what's better is this!

"Don Criqui and Steve Tasker, CBS -- Things are falling apart here. Players are misidentified, wrong ball carriers are named, and then a point is made about them. First Indy-Jacksonville game, technical stuff has broken down as well. They go to a commercial, for instance, without telling you a timeout has been called, or by whom. The spotters seem to be asleep. Coverages, double coverages, are not accurately described. Criqui mentions how punter Hunter Smith, "places it beautifully," when it actually comes down on the numbers. Neither one of them has a whiff of what line play is all about. Why not a lower ranking? Because most of the time it isn't this bad, and they're both honest workers."

I think ESPN should counter the Madden "horse trailer" with the Theismann "My balls have been washed by Joey T." award.  This goes to the player who Theismann chooses to fawn over for an entire game.  Two of his worst cases of ball washing this year were when Vick or Favre were on the Sunday night game.

203931[/snapback]

Don't forget Ray Lewis.

I enjoy Sunday Night Football. I think Theismann can be annoying, very annoying, but as a team they are very entertaining. Better than Michaels & Madden.

I can't stand Chris Collinsworth and no matter how good Buck and Aikman are this guy is just a straight up ass that ruins the telecast.

Lastly, as an aside, I want to discuss Mark Schlereth(sp?). Where in the hell did this guy come from? He's a Steven A. Smith (know what the A is for?) for football. This guy is considered an analyst? Nothing that he spews from his mouth has any inidcation of analysis, it's strictly loud opinion. And how many times do we need to be reminded that HE won three SB rings. Give the reins to Ron Jaworski or Chris Mortensen and let the guy run with it. They actually bring something to the table unlike crack head Irvin or SB ring Schlereth.

I know a producer for ESPN who told me that McGuire HATES Thiesman, but Thiesman has no idea because he is stupid and an egomaniac (how could anyone hate me?).

203940[/snapback]

That just made my day.

maybe Rudy has a little bit more info on this sort of thing.....

I thought this was the best

And then when Favre pulled that weirdie at the end of the half, near the Vikings goal line, running three yards past the line and underhanding it to Walker in the end zone ... and drawing a penalty...and then laughing about it. We heard this from Collinsworth: "The funniest part was Walt Anderson, the referee, could barely make the call without laughing." Hey, I watched Anderson, too, and I didn't see the hint of a smile. And the guys on the Packers weren't laughing after Ryan Longwell missed the subsequent field goal. This is what is known as dishonest reporting. But when Randy Moss caught the fourth-quarter TD and treated the Packer crowd to a dry moon that lasted exactly one second, that's all, we had to listen to this blather from Buck, who got his panties all in a knot

I know both issues have been talked about ad naseum but I couldn't agree more. I couldn't believe the level of ridiculousness the Favre worship went to after that stupid play (which 99% of other QBs would have been blasted for). Matched only by Buck's ridiculous hyperbolic hysteria after Moss' harmless faux mooning..

chris collensworth... i spelled his name wrong but he is horrable. my roommate is a giants fan so i watch there games alot. collensworth is ALWAYS one of the announcers.

he would say things like there team is horrable. line is horrable. recievers are horrable. dropping passes. their opponents should have a cake walk this week...

then if the giants win, he says things like... this is a promising young team with alot of tallent at several positions. i just think some announcers are biased agenst a team. him being one.

also, i do hate when a team is leading by 15 or so, and the announcers just talk about something that happened 20 years ago, or something unrelated to the game. madden does this alot. i noticed this alot during dolphin games... ( i love NFL sunday ticket..)

chris collensworth... i spelled his name wrong but he is horrable. my roommate is a giants fan so i watch there games alot. collensworth is ALWAYS one of the announcers.

he would say things like there team is horrable. line is horrable. recievers are horrable. dropping passes. their opponents should have a cake walk this week...

then if the giants win, he says things like... this is a promising young team with alot of tallent at several positions. i just think some announcers are biased agenst a team. him being one.

also, i do hate when a team is leading by 15 or so, and the announcers just talk about something that happened 20 years ago, or something unrelated to the game. madden does this alot. i noticed this alot during dolphin games... ( i love NFL sunday ticket..)

204229[/snapback]

watch Braves games (TBS) even when it's a tight score. They talk about the weirdest crap. I swear to god if you were blind you would think you are watching a show about two old guys just sitting around shooting the breeze.

I thought this was the best

I know both issues have been talked about ad naseum but I couldn't agree more.  I couldn't believe the level of ridiculousness the Favre worship went to after that stupid play (which 99% of other QBs would have been blasted for).  Matched only by Buck's ridiculous hyperbolic hysteria after Moss' harmless faux mooning..

204146[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more on those points. The "Farve can do no wrong" bit is getting silly. Can you imagine TSW if Bledsoe had made that horrendous play on the goal line??? People here might have hurt themselves.

While I conceptually like the experiment that Fox is doing with Goose on the sidelines (as an "on-the-field color commentator") I can't stand Goose....

...and I have noticed the utter disregard that they've shown toward the action on the field this year in general. Disgusting...Just a couple of years ago Dennis Miller was getting castigated any time he didn't pause his commentaries when the ref came on to explain a penalty. Now they're talking over whole offensive series....("It's 3rd and 5, oh no wait, 15, I guess they must have had a penalty in there somewhere...")