The city of Detroit crisis

billsfan_34

True the unions were a tad greedy but in 50's- 80's there was plenty of money to spread around.

If it wasnt for the unions the management would have overworked their employees. That's why people voted for the union in the first place. This coming from a former UAW member .Reason why those Toyotas were selling was because they were a better made auto.

lets not confuse unions in the private sector vs public sector unions. public sector unions are a disaster---

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you die and she's going to go on working as if nothing happened? And if you're dead how much of your income will be going directly into saving? What if you're sick for 18 months and can't work? How much work insurance will you have at that point? What medical expenses will she be left with? Never ever count on your insurance at work.

It is covered with life insurance etc... I will be dead. I understand what you are saying. We are covered both way arounds. She is actually the main bread winner... If one of us dies, why wouldn't we go on working... Especially @ an early age?

lets not confuse unions in the private sector vs public sector unions. public sector unions are a disaster---

Ceratin public sector unions... I am open shop. I am fed. Pay into SS, and fund my pension, and almost half of my health premium. The union really doesn't do much outside of what OPM and the laws set.

Ceratin public sector unions... I am open shop. I am fed. Pay into SS, and fund my pension, and almost half of my health premium. The union really doesn't do much outside of what OPM and the laws set.

I asked the union steward at OPM what AFGE provides that the government doesn't otherwise. Tuition reimbursement was about the only meaningful thing he could come up with.

It is covered with life insurance etc... I will be dead. I understand what you are saying. We are covered both way arounds. She is actually the main bread winner... If one of us dies, why wouldn't we go on working... Especially @ an early age

I don't know enough about your situation to continue on with challenges you may face. But you said you had insurance at work. Well that only works if you're working when you die. You said your income goes to savings. I assume you mean retirement savings? She'll still need to fund 70% of that retirement nest egg even if you're not there. And I'm not saying she stops working completely if you die prematurely but she will probably want to take a good amount of time off to grieve. Or celebrate.

Edited by Chef Jim

I have over a year sick leave (& accumulating) on the books. I carry the maximum vacation, 6 weeks, each year over on the books.

Welcome to the real reason governments are going broke. The vast majority of private companies don't allow sick leave accumulation because they simply can't afford to pay for it. The government can offer benefits that are off the charts (like pensions) because they have the taxpayer and the "full faith and credit of the United States" to allow them to go TRILLIONS in debt.

If you're lucky, you'll be the last generation to enjoy your government pension at the promised rate. I suspect, though, that you're going to see a fairly sizable cut by the time you're eligible for full retirement. The current unfunded liability of CRS is approaching a TRILLION dollars. FERS is in the red too, but since it's so new it's not even a hundred billion.

Ten states owe more in pension liability than they take in annually. I'm sure the city/county roles are at least as bad and more likely worse.

http://www.reuters.c...N0F21RD20130627

Tick tock...

Welcome to the real reason governments are going broke. The vast majority of private companies don't allow sick leave accumulation because they simply can't afford to pay for it. The government can offer benefits that are off the charts (like pensions) because they have the taxpayer and the "full faith and credit of the United States" to allow them to go TRILLIONS in debt.

If you're lucky, you'll be the last generation to enjoy your government pension at the promised rate. I suspect, though, that you're going to see a fairly sizable cut by the time you're eligible for full retirement. The current unfunded liability of CRS is approaching a TRILLION dollars. FERS is in the red too, but since it's so new it's not even a hundred billion.

Ten states owe more in pension liability than they take in annually. I'm sure the city/county roles are at least as bad and more likely worse.

http://www.reuters.c...N0F21RD20130627

Tick tock...

Tick Tock is right. I have known that for a long time now.

My penison/SS is part of my retirement equation... I am not counting on it though. If it is gone and they can't honor it... So be it. My age/generation has always expected squat when it come to SS/pension... No doubt it will be gone. I guess that is free money I am donating... Right now it is 1.5% toward FERS...

Maybe I should stop hiding that 2 million under my mattress? :-P

Tick Tock is right. I have known that for a long time now.

My penison/SS is part of my retirement equation... I am not counting on it though. If it is gone and they can't honor it... So be it. My age/generation has always expected squat when it come to SS/pension... No doubt it will be gone. I guess that is free money I am donating... Right now it is 1.5% toward FERS...

Maybe I should stop hiding that 2 million under my mattress? :-P

Dude those of you who suck on the government teet have nothing to worry about. You should get on your knees and thank your elected officials and the US taxpayer every day for that.

Dude those of you who suck on the government teet have nothing to worry about. You should get on your knees and thank your elected officials and the US taxpayer every day for that.

Hey, I am producing... Wait till those Asian carp start popping like corn... ;-)

You are right. I get on my knees and thank the elected officials and US taxpayers that reaffirmed the Nothwest Ordinace as one of the first acts of Congress back in 1789... Under the new Constitution that is. Without them, I wouldn't have a job!

Agree half my friends are teachers, retired gm workers or working for moog. They complain about their future.

If they are retired, they shouldn't complain... They are getting the lion's share. It is the generation after them that will hafe to suck it up. No big deal, we've had it it easier and more peaceful. For me, it isn't really "complaining" so to speak. People have to realize how easy they have it over past generations and take one for the team!