Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D

BillsWatch

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was also gonna offer that suggestion. Maybe it's a prequel.

They mention Coulson being killed in NY on the trailer. That rules out a prequel. That and if it is all new events in that timeline, they will be able to tie it into any of the upcoming movies.

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure whether or not the show will have a long shelf life after watching the pilot. It was decent, but I could see this one going either way.

And as for Coulson, they've obviously got a lot more story planned on his "death".

I hate to be that guy, but the pilot really didn't impress me. It was basically just another detective show with some Marvel references sprinkled in. I was bored watching it. The only scene that really connected to me (Spoiler alert) was at the end when Michael had his breakdown and aired out his grievances. That was a pretty good moment. And then they ruined it by that stupid swerve where they administered the anti-exploding medicine via sniper rifle. Overall I give it a C-. I'll try again next week, but it seems like my worst fears about this series have come to pass.

I hate to be that guy, but the pilot really didn't impress me. It was basically just another detective show with some Marvel references sprinkled in. I was bored watching it. The only scene that really connected to me (Spoiler alert) was at the end when Michael had his breakdown and aired out his grievances. That was a pretty good moment. And then they ruined it by that stupid swerve where they administered the anti-exploding medicine via sniper rifle. Overall I give it a C-. I'll try again next week, but it seems like my worst fears about this series have come to pass.

I'm right there with you. I don't know how much you can judge a show by the pilot though. How many shows actually nail it from day 1? With the Disney juggernaut behind this one, I'm sure it will be given enough time to see whether or not it develops.

How many shows actually nail it from day 1? With the Disney juggernaut behind this one, I'm sure it will be given enough time to see whether or not it develops.

As mrags points out, most of the ones that I follow religiously. To me this show made the cardinal sin, I don't care if I see the next episode or not. I'm still on board, I suppose, but they have a big hill to climb with me.

As mrags points out, most of the ones that I follow religiously. To me this show made the cardinal sin, I don't care if I see the next episode or not. I'm still on board, I suppose, but they have a big hill to climb with me.

It probably happens a lot more with comedies, but we can put together a much longer list of shows with bad pilots that wind up hitting their stride once given some time. The networks don't typically give shows any time anymore for this to happen. This one will probably be given that time though due to all of their connections. So I think with this one, we will eventually find out whether or not they right the ship.

Lost

Prison Break

Sons of Anarchy

Dexter

Ray Donavan

Homeland

Game of Thrones

Three of those were based on existing properties -- two were even based on existing shows -- giving them a shorter learning curve. More to the point, all of those shows are cable but for LOST. Completely different ball game when it comes to development and execution.

Three of those were based on existing properties -- two were even based on existing shows -- giving them a shorter learning curve. More to the point, all of those shows are cable but for LOST. Completely different ball game when it comes to development and execution.

Agents of SHIELD is based on an existing property as well.

Agents of SHIELD is based on an existing property as well.

Just out of curiosity, do any of these characters actually exist in the comics? I read somewhere that they added Phil Couslon in the comics recently due to his popularity, but did any of these people exist prior to this show?

So seems like this show has been receiving mixed reviews after the first episode...you guys generally give it a thumbs up, down, or is the jury still out?

• 4 weeks later...

I hate to say it, I really do. But this show pretty much sucks.

I so badly want to like it. I just can't.

We watch it with my son, who digs it, but I keep watching for Coulson. Great character with great comments.

That said (and at the risk of going off topic), one of the shows we get a kick out of is "The Neighbors," in large part because Jamie Gertz does it for me ever since "Lost Boys." But I bring it up because as I've known you over the years, I've never met you, and I'm certain if I did you would be best represented by the alien father, Larry Bird, husband to wife Jackie Joyner Kersee and father to two sons; Reggie Jackson and Dick Butkus.

We watch it with my son, who digs it, but I keep watching for Coulson. Great character with great comments.

Just about all I'm curious about at this point is to see where they are going with his story. What really happened after New York?

Is there really any new show this season thats actually worth watching?

I was just thinking the other day, I can't think of a new show that I have been able to get into and I find most nights that if there isn't a Baseball, hockey, or football game on, I'm watching repeats of other shows or Shows on HGTV and the Food network

Is there really any new show this season thats actually worth watching?

I was just thinking the other day, I can't think of a new show that I have been able to get into and I find most nights that if there isn't a Baseball, hockey, or football game on, I'm watching repeats of other shows or Shows on HGTV and the Food network

There are only two shows I look for any more: Modern Family and Person of Interest; the former is still funny as hell and the latter keeps my interest because it reminds me of a great, yet short-lived Michael Madsen show called "Vengeance Unlimited." Other than that, Mariska Hargitay in pretty much anything.

There are only two shows I look for any more: Modern Family and Person of Interest; the former is still funny as hell and the latter keeps my interest because it reminds me of a great, yet short-lived Michael Madsen show called "Vengeance Unlimited." Other than that, Mariska Hargitay in pretty much anything.

At this point there's very little point to watching a show from the beginning. Networks pull the plug so fast. I gave SHIELD a chance since I knew ABC would give it plenty of time to develop. With the others, I'll just wait and see which shows wind up getting positive feedback and then later watch them on demand or on netflix.

• 6 months later...

I have to say, I ended up liking this show (season recently ended). Started really slow, but like most Whedon projects the character development and plot really picked up about half way through the season. Not a "great" show, but definitely entertaining.

Edited by Acantha