Article on Marrone

eball

This "I'll wait before getting excited" stuff is boring and the easy way out. I'm happy to be excited any chance I get. Life's too short to feel differently, at least to me.

Go Bills!

Exactly. I would rather go into the season with some optimism. The worst that can happen is that we will be disappointed...again...and then do it all over again next season... Edited by webtoe

Thanks for sharing. The Rochester D&C had an article as well http://www.democrata...RTS03/307140031

Who better to inaugurate that experiment than the school’s football stud?

“I had to do a soliloquy on Othello in her class,” Marrone recalled. “I went up and did it, and I was into it at the time, and she always makes me do it when I talk to her on the phone now. She said, ‘Why don’t you come out to the drama club?’ ”

Marrone thought about that for a moment. He was the big man on campus, literally and figuratively, a hulking 6-foot-5, 300-pound kid who was going to have a chance to play Division I football somewhere once he graduated from Lehman. And Mrs. Preston wanted him to go on stage and sing and dance and act?

“She bargained with me a little bit and she said, ‘If you do this, you can help your grade’ so there was some incentive there,” he said with a smile.

So Marrone accepted the challenge and the first time out he was chosen to play Vince Fontaine, the hip radio disc jockey in Grease. “I did some background singing and a little dancing,” he said.

The following year, he landed the lead role as baseball player Joe Hardy in Damn Yankees. “That was some solos, some duets, there was a lot for that role,” he said. “It was great, a different type of bonding with the drama people than you have with football, but I loved it. The toughest part for me was the makeup. I have a great appreciation for people who wear eye liner. You just have to be comfortable with who you are.”

Hopefully this means that his inspirational speeches will be very convincing.

I feel like the same things were said about Williams, Mularkey, Jauron, and Gailey. I wanna wait til I see results on the field before I get too excited. I have to admit tho, it is nice to have a coach that seems to relate well with his players and has a real sense of energy to him.

Jauron and Gailey were not considered good hires at all when they were picked. They were second or even third tier retreads. But I agree that until its proven all it is is potential and time fillers before the season starts.

The one big thing that the Marone hire has going for it is he was a coaching candidate that was drawing interest from other teams. He wasn't the best of the rest. Reports were that a few other teams (Multiple teams I knew the Chargers were one of them) were highly interested in Marone. I like to hear that we got a coach that was highly thought of by other teams.

Maulary, Gailey, and Jauron were all second or third tier candidates. I am still wait and see myself but I am not merely hoping for success when I know its likely to fail. I am hoping for this chance at success to pan out.

Everyone who considers him/herself a Bills fan should take a few minutes to read the Buff News article on Marrone posted today. In particular, it addresses his path to becoming a HC and there are some good quotes throughout.

Don't know how we could not be excited about getting this guy as our coach.

Go Bills!

eball . I had already read the articles just up including Sal M in D/C rochester and glad to see it up for review here

Nice to know the details about this guy.

Better yet is that Marrone adds his perspective enough to make it personal.

This coaching staff all the way from IHillard and DHenderson and that old man Driesbach really got me stoked this year

One of my better batches of koolaid i must say.

I agree fully eball.

go bills

Edited by 3rdand12

What has me psyched about Marrone is his intelligence. I also like that he was once a player - which holds a lot of weight with players. Add to that his experience with TOP offensive minds in the game (currently, even) and throw in his seeming ability to adapt (Jauron's failure - and Gailey's - IMO, was their reluctance to change), and we have the makings of a coach who can build a team and compete. You need talent, and you need good assistants, but it looks as though he will have the support of the franchise in getting players, and he has an excellent defensive staff already. One other element necessary for success - enthusiasm / passion. You've got to get the players pumped (how important was Levy in that regard?). We will see, but I'm more excited about this hire than I have been since Williams.

What has me psyched about Marrone is his intelligence. I also like that he was once a player - which holds a lot of weight with players. Add to that his experience with TOP offensive minds in the game (currently, even) and throw in his seeming ability to adapt (Jauron's failure - and Gailey's - IMO, was their reluctance to change), and we have the makings of a coach who can build a team and compete. You need talent, and you need good assistants, but it looks as though he will have the support of the franchise in getting players, and he has an excellent defensive staff already. One other element necessary for success - enthusiasm / passion. You've got to get the players pumped (how important was Levy in that regard?). We will see, but I'm more excited about this hire than I have been since Williams.

you are over thinking this K H . he hasn't coached an NFL game yet ! we shall see how flexible he is .

But glad this is having such a positive response for sure and sounds like a players coach all day

Omigosh i can t wait to watch the Patriots game.

I liked the article but I also found a similar praising article on Rochester D&C. Two coming out at same time....makes me think that the BB PR dept has exposed their media mouthpieces. They are trying (and its understandable) to generate a lot of hype prior to training camp to get the fans excited for the upcoming season. That's what they are supposed to as a PR dept tho. But we can get on-board, excited, etc all we want. This to me means nothing. It would mean more if say they started the season 4-0 or at least beating the pats day 1.

Or newspapers wait till the doldrums of the off season to run features like this since there is too much going on the rest of the year.

PTR

I liked the article but I also found a similar praising article on Rochester D&C. Two coming out at same time....makes me think that the BB PR dept has exposed their media mouthpieces. They are trying (and its understandable) to generate a lot of hype prior to training camp to get the fans excited for the upcoming season. That's what they are supposed to as a PR dept tho. But we can get on-board, excited, etc all we want. This to me means nothing. It would mean more if say they started the season 4-0 or at least beating the pats day 1.

Neither of these pieces means anything as far as guaranteed results and in fact neither writer makes any claims as to how Marrone will do.

Therefore the articles should be judged on:

1) The quality of the work done by the writers in terms of research, background, and how Marrone is depicted.

2) Whether you feel Marrone's background and experience as presented will make him successful or not.

Its gonna really come down to how well Manuel pans out and if we can get a talented defense to play up to their potential

This. If Manuel has success so will Marrone. If Manuel flops, Marrone will fail. Buddy Nix's and Doug Whaley's tenure for that matter will be defined by EJ Manuel.

This. If Manuel has success so will Marrone. If Manuel flops, Marrone will fail. Buddy Nix's and Doug Whaley's tenure for that matter will be defined by EJ Manuel.

Not necessarily. Seattle Seahawks are the best example of a franchise that wouldn't rest until they found the right quarterback. And they're still not resting: http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/2013/04/09/seahawks-annouce-deal-with-quarterback-brady-quinn/ Also resigned Tavaris Jackson. Remember Matt Flynn was supposed to be the man for them coming out of Green Bay? Let's just hope Whaley and Marrone understand this and it'll be ok.

I feel like the same things were said about Williams, Mularkey, Jauron, and Gailey. I wanna wait til I see results on the field before I get too excited. I have to admit tho, it is nice to have a coach that seems to relate well with his players and has a real sense of energy to him.

The common theme between Williams, Mularkey, Jauron and Gailey is that they did not have a QB. Time will tell if Marrone hit it with E.J. Manuel and to the playoffs. The one year Mularkey had Bledsoe as the QB, we were 9-7 and knocking on the doors of the playoffs.

Or newspapers wait till the doldrums of the off season to run features like this since there is too much going on the rest of the year.

PTR

On the same day? With the same content?

The common theme between Williams, Mularkey, Jauron and Gailey is that they did not have a QB. Time will tell if Marrone hit it with E.J. Manuel and to the playoffs. The one year Mularkey had Bledsoe as the QB, we were 9-7 and knocking on the doors of the playoffs.

Or a clue. I was fooled by a couple of them. Shame on me.