Change the replay...(No-goal vs. Homerun throwback)

boyst

76 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather...

• Have the Stars goal against the Sabres game 6 (jeesh...) not count when it was realized the foot was actually in the crease?
    • have the forward lateral ruled correctly giving the Bills the victory in Tennesee?

I know this is a Bills board so there will be bias. I will be surprised if it is a more then 4-1 ratio that Bills win this poll. I expect a 2-1 ratio for the Bills over Sabres.

It is interesting to note that the Bills winning just advances them a playoff spot but the Sabres no-goal gives them a chance to win the first major league championship in Buffalo history.

Edited by jboyst62

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to be a dick but it was game 6.

Haha, I was thinking the same thing. I remember it so clearly. I had actually fallen asleep some time during the first overtime, and somehow, like an otherworldly force was at work, I woke up seconds before Hull 'scored'. Still hurts. Although for some reason the 2005-2006 Sabres team not winning the cup hurts more than anything really, other than the homerun throwback. That Sabres team absolutely seemed like a team of destiny. Literally will never get over that. I still have nightmares about Rod B'rindamour's giant, crooked nose

Music City Debacle.

No Goal was OT of Game 6. Reversing it doesn't mean we win and if we did, we'd still have to play Game 7 in Dallas. We had No O that year, so I wouldn't like our chances.

The Forward Lateral, on the other hand, if reversed would have sent the Bills further into the playoffs in a year where any decent QB would likely ride the D and ground game all the way to the Super Bowl. I really feel that was our very best team of the Nineties, Flutie/RJ notwithstanding.

So, no-brainer for me.

Haha, I was thinking the same thing. I remember it so clearly. I had actually fallen asleep some time during the first overtime, and somehow, like an otherworldly force was at work, I woke up seconds before Hull 'scored'. Still hurts. Although for some reason the 2005-2006 Sabres team not winning the cup hurts more than anything really, other than the homerun throwback. That Sabres team absolutely seemed like a team of destiny. Literally will never get over that. I still have nightmares about Rod B'rindamour's giant, crooked nose

The Sabres ended up losing their top 4 defenseman by the end of that series.

I believe that McKee, Paetsch, Numinen, Tallinder, and Kalinin were all out by game 7.

Had the Sabres been healthy, I believe they would have won the Stanley Cup that year. Despite the rash of injuries, they barely lost to Carolina 4 games to 3 and Carolina went on to defeat Edmonton in the finals, 4 games to 3.

I believe that McKee, Paetsch, Numinen, Tallinder, and Kalinin were all out by game 7.

Had the Sabres been healthy, I believe they would have won the Stanley Cup that year. Despite the rash of injuries, they barely lost to Carolina 4 games to 3 and Carolina went on to defeat Edmonton in the finals, 4 games to 3.

Yep. Just a joke. Not only did Timmy essentially suffer a career ending (for all intents and purposes) injury against those f***** Senators, you're right, we lost those d men too. It was so crazy because we were getting BETTER every game almost, other than the 4-0 shutout against the hurricanes. It's amazing to see a team come together before your very eyes. I mean, we were hitting on all cylinders. Offense roared to life to destroy Philly, but we beat Ottawa, our nemesis, 4-1 with a rookie Pominville ending it in OT. Losing Connolly was a big blow--if he never takes that vicious head shot (was it that bastard, Neal?) his career would have been totally different. Guy was becoming a star. I guess when your last good veteran D-man wakes up with a freak staph infection eating his leg on the morning of game 7, it's just not in the cards.

I agree completely. That season with the Sabres and 1990 with the Bills were the only two times in my life when I actually thought to myself that Buffalo had the best team in the league and was going to win a major championship. Fate intervened in both cases.

The "no-goal" or "homerun throwback" question is irrelevant to some degree because Buffalo wasn't likely to win the championship in either of those seasons. I guess the Sabres would be the closest but if the goal is disallowed then a) the Sabres would still have win that game in OT and then b) would have to win game 7 in Dallas, all against a far better team in the Stars. They would have a puncher's chance because of Hasek but I wouldn't put any money on it.

Now if Norwood could only kick straight... that's the closest Buffalo has ever come.

Edited by vincec

Music City Debacle.

No Goal was OT of Game 6. Reversing it doesn't mean we win and if we did, we'd still have to play Game 7 in Dallas. We had No O that year, so I wouldn't like our chances.

The Forward Lateral, on the other hand, if reversed would have sent the Bills further into the playoffs in a year where any decent QB would likely ride the D and ground game all the way to the Super Bowl. I really feel that was our very best team of the Nineties, Flutie/RJ notwithstanding.

So, no-brainer for me.

Best team of the nineties??

Anyway, RJ wasn't a "decent starter".

Brett Hull and Mike Mahomodo would of been out for game 7.

Excellent point, and that's one of the reasons I voted for No Goal. Another reason is that there was absolutely, positively, no doubt whatsoever, that Dallas's "goal" shouldn't have counted. A textbook example of an erroneous officiating call. As for the Music City Miracle: I've watched the replay of that several times, and . . . it's close. It's about as close an officiating call as I've ever seen anyone have to make. Better to correct the glaring injustice first (No Goal), before correcting something which could have been called either way (Music City Miracle).

I'd rather Norwood put a little draw on that 47 yard kick.

I have no doubt we would have won the cup if the Sabres had played the entire series with a healthy Def corp when we lost to Carolina.

And I have no doubt we would have made a 5th super bowl if Flutie started over Johnson