How should the Bills utilize graham and Goodwin?

The Bills tried a lot of screens with Graham last year with limited success. Maybe Goodwin is different. I see Johnson & Woods in there every down with Johnson in the slot when either Graham or Goodwin outside. Let's utilize Johnson and Woods first.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i could be completely wrong here, but graham seems like he is more straight line speed guy where you get him going in one direction and hit him in stride and he can burn you. whereas goodwin seems like he has a bit more start and stop/shiftiness to his game, maybe a bit like a smaller cj. i can only go off of the highlights i saw of goodwin and the limited action i saw from graham last year to come to these conclusions. all i know is that they both have a lot of speed to offer, and the coach hackett will do all he can to use them to the fullest. it's on them to perform or get out of the way of the next man up.

I predict Goodwin is NFL Offensive rookie of year. He is not only a phenomenal athlete, he is a football player who did produce in college. He was one of my favorite players predraft, and I was quite happy the Bills drafted him. Write it down- Goodwin will be great this year!

On 3rd down and long...I think I need to change pants.

Imagine EJ or Kolb in the backfield. Single back. Robert Woods out wide at split SJ13 right off the line at Slot. TJ Graham or Goodwin...or both, Flanking Woods. Alright, we can have both of them in or someone else.

If we put one of them in motion behind passing SJ13 that will reveal a lot. That could put trips on on side. Maybe before that you bring CJ at slot opposite SJ13. The QB would have a lot of reads he could make and the arm to get it across the field to anyone on there. He could still get CJ to do a reverse and get SJ13 to do a contain block. If it is FJ he could pitch to him and let him pass it on a sweep if TJ and Goodwin stretch the field. Hell. There is a lot of things I could easily picture that would stretch the field open and create space in the middle. However, I am not sure how well CJ will do without 10 guys in the box. So, I am a little worried.

Goodwin is a football player who ran track. Graham is a track star who plays football. They couldn't be more different as football players. Goodwin is the real deal.

GO BILLS!!!

i was wondering if goodwin wasnt a replacement for graham, but if graham continues to impress...hes taller and bigger and about as fast. and again, its football, not brain surgery. these guys can still grow and improve. Id like to think we have the makings of a fab four like houston used to have with Moon. 4 ballers, the best of which (sj) is the slowest.

Also to the OP...quick and early means a 5 yard slant which gets you 5 yards most of the time. Or incomplete. Its nice to dream about a 2 second release and TJ or MG going to the house but it just doesnt work that way. Play action or just going deep...thats how you get points.

i could be completely wrong here, but graham seems like he is more straight line speed guy where you get him going in one direction and hit him in stride and he can burn you. whereas goodwin seems like he has a bit more start and stop/shiftiness to his game, maybe a bit like a smaller cj. i can only go off of the highlights i saw of goodwin and the limited action i saw from graham last year to come to these conclusions. all i know is that they both have a lot of speed to offer, and the coach hackett will do all he can to use them to the fullest. it's on them to perform or get out of the way of the next man up.

yes maybe he will be as good as parish!!!!! he was like that. same size too!

Lots of nice, conventional ideas for using their speed. None of which will surprise any of our division rivals. Let's put our speed guys in position to succeed by thinking outside the box and using them unconventionally.

2 ideas:

1. Make them both hold for field goals. Most fake field goals fail because the runner doesn't have the speed to get to the first down marker before the defense reacts. These guys can change that. If we run a fake with one and he doesn't make it, give the other one a chance the next time - - nobody will expect THAT.

2. Steal a cornerback jersey from the other team and sneak them on the field out wide at the last minute. The other team's dbs won't cover a guy they think is one of their own - - TD!!!!

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

Little burners at WR in the NFL are always intriguing and fun to see on the roster and on the field, but if you look at the production receivers in the league, they're rarely guys like TJ Graham and Goodwin.

There are a few exceptions but I don't expect either one of those two guys to change any games for us this year as receivers. Kick/punt returners maybe. That would be great.

I don't think TJ Graham will be in the NFL in two years. Getting separation on deep routes is only a small part of the game, the rest is stuff like body control, timing your jumps, ball instincts, pushing off without getting flagged, hands, route adjustments etc. and TJ doesn't have it. I hope I'm wrong, and he's still just a kid learning the ropes, but I'd rather have a bigger target with great hands like David Nelson on my roster than TJ Graham all day long.

This stretching the field stuff is overrated, I want receivers that can get open consistently and help move the chains. Its the formula NE uses and it works.

Looking forward to seeing Goodwin in camp this year, he flashes some DeSean Jackson stuff in his highlights, seems tough and strong for his size.

Lots of nice, conventional ideas for using their speed. None of which will surprise any of our division rivals. Let's put our speed guys in position to succeed by thinking outside the box and using them unconventionally.

2 ideas:

1. Make them both hold for field goals. Most fake field goals fail because the runner doesn't have the speed to get to the first down marker before the defense reacts. These guys can change that. If we run a fake with one and he doesn't make it, give the other one a chance the next time - - nobody will expect THAT.

2. Steal a cornerback jersey from the other team and sneak them on the field out wide at the last minute. The other team's dbs won't cover a guy they think is one of their own - - TD!!!!

Short-yardage/goal line running backs!

Everyone saying "Goodwin is a football player who ran track". His collegiate production was rather underwhelming. I'm not expecting much from him this season

His production when touching the football was actually pretty damned good. It was the amount of "touches" that was underwhelming.

Can't blame him for that.

He's not Graham, and he's certainly not Roscoe Parrish. Lumping in all small wr's is silly. This kid's better than that.

Not convinced that either will feature in our Base Line Up. CJ. Stevie. Woods. Chandler should be 4 of the 5. Then Freddie if 2 back set, sometimes 2 TEs either a blocker (Smith) or route runner (Gragg). How often 3 WRs? Depends how good our QBs are at throwing the longer ball. But agree that stretching the field may help our cause and tire the DBs. See Graham & Goodwin as situational players but feel sure that Hackett can provide a package for them.

But it would be nice to see a 80 yard EJ to Goodwin bomb first up against the Pats ! Graham was hugely disappointing last year, but maybe a better scheme may help him.

Quick screens out wide, quick cut slants and also reverses. That , and send one deep at all times.

I agree wholeheartedly I think that the bills receivers will be much more effective when opp ds have to respect the bubble screens the dinks and dives the reverses the slinging it out wide... once that is established as a threat the long ball will be there all day long.. I think that bills TE should take a back seat to the dynamic receivers we now have!!

Get open deep, and hopefully our QB can actually hit one of them, to open up room in the short and mid range games for Johnson, Woods and Spiller.

Dear god I hope Kolb or Manuel can actually hit someone down the field,heh.

i was wondering if goodwin wasnt a replacement for graham, but if graham continues to impress...hes taller and bigger and about as fast. and again, its football, not brain surgery. these guys can still grow and improve. Id like to think we have the makings of a fab four like houston used to have with Moon. 4 ballers, the best of which (sj) is the slowest.

Also to the OP...quick and early means a 5 yard slant which gets you 5 yards most of the time. Or incomplete. Its nice to dream about a 2 second release and TJ or MG going to the house but it just doesnt work that way. Play action or just going deep...thats how you get points.

yes maybe he will be as good as parish!!!!! he was like that. same size too!

you know, the whole time that roscoe was here i was really hoping that one of these coaching staffs would figure out how to use him. chan came close, but i really wanted somebody to get the ball into his hands in space so that he could make a couple guys miss and fly right past a couple more. if goodwin has roscoe-essque ability and coach hackett can make use of those skills, i think i will be jumping out of my seat with excitement on several occasions this season.