Lions may release Harrington.

PIZ

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I woldn't mind seeing him as a backup to Drew (assuming he is still here next year) and JP. But, given Bills fans imaptience with QB's, I couldn't realistically see him in Buffalo. I would like to see the Bills pick up another QB (not Shane Matthews) as depth. Someone younger, but with a decent amount of playing experiecne would be nice.

Call me crazy, but did Detroit ever really give Harrington a group of people on the field that were worth anything?

I'm not saying he was a great QB, but if he went to the right team, with the right weapons, he could do well. Imagine if he played somewhere with an awesome defense, good recievers, and a good RB. Would he be as terrible as he was in Detroit? I think not.

Again this post reveals that the QB takes too much of the blame most of the time.

Call me crazy, but did Detroit ever really give Harrington a group of people on the field that were worth anything?

I'm not saying he was a great QB, but if he went to the right team, with the right weapons, he could do well.  Imagine if he played somewhere with an awesome defense, good recievers, and a good RB.  Would he be as terrible as he was in Detroit?  I think not.

Again this post reveals that the QB takes too much of the blame most of the time.

202829[/snapback]

As I used to say to my friends when I lived in Detroit (DeTOILET), "The Lions have sucked for my whole life, nothing's gonna change!"

I'm not saying he was a great QB, but if he went to the right team, with the right weapons, he could do well.  Imagine if he played somewhere with an awesome defense, good recievers, and a good RB.  Would he be as terrible as he was in Detroit?  I think not.

202829[/snapback]

I dont think the DET coaches constructed an offense which allowed Harrington to throw downfield; rather they used a "lets see those screen passes to S. Bryson" offense. Let him use his arm more...

I'm not sure that Farve is gone, unless he retires. That city loves him.

If Favre is gone, lets say they don't want him anymore....

Where does Farve go? Does he retire, or go play someplace else? Arizona? (they always seem to bite)

The Lions went out and got Charles Rogers, Roy Williams and Kevin Jones for him. They also "tried" to shore up there O'Line the past offseason. Granted Rogers is always injured and Williams and Jones were gimpy for a good part of 2004, so you can't totally pin it on Joey.

If you ask Lions fans, the big knock on him is that he hurries throws or throws stupid passes to avoid getting hit. And I haven't watched him too much, but I thought he was rated so highly coming out of U of O because of his on field leadership and ability to get things done. I think the answer is that Detroit is such a messed up organization, it will ruin anybody. They extended Millen!!! What the hell is going on up there.

I dont think the DET coaches constructed an offense which allowed Harrington to throw downfield; rather they used a "lets see those screen passes to S. Bryson" offense.  Let him use his arm more...

202845[/snapback]

FWIW, I think McMahon is a better QB. Guy is smart and ballsy...

The Lions went out and got Charles Rogers, Roy Williams and Kevin Jones for him. They also "tried" to shore up there O'Line the past offseason. Granted Rogers is always injured and Williams and Jones were gimpy for a good part of 2004, so you can't totally pin it on Joey.

202849[/snapback]

The answer to helping a rookie QB learn in the NFL is rarely to add nothing but rookie talent at the skill positions. If that is the path the Lions wanted to take, they should have set a more realistic timeline for success.

One of the dangers of playing young QBs is the sheer number of hits they take because they cannot read defenses quickly enough to get rid of the ball. Add to that a porous offensive line, no running game, and inexperience at the other skill positions and you have a recipe for disaster.

If they cut Harrington, someone will sign him and within 2 or 3 years he'll be starting and ripping up the league.