Train disaster

meazza

It is interesting to see that the national press has treated this as a small story next to the plane crash. It is most mind boggling as this disaster was far worse and the one that is more likely to be repeated. I think about living in Knoxville and there is a major rail line that goes through the middle of the city. In one section right through multi million dollar homes and two golf courses. It moves very slowly and in this section they have mostly hidden it with trees and landscaping

Our first house was only about 1/2 mile off of this section of track.

I have noticed the same thing. The San Francisco crash has wall to wall coverage with 2 dead, the Alaska crash with 10 dead get a quick story and back to SF. Meanwhile, only a few miles from the US a disaster occurs that vaporizes a section of a town along with 50 people, and there is very little coverage.

I have noticed the same thing. The San Francisco crash has wall to wall coverage with 2 dead, the Alaska crash with 10 dead get a quick story and back to SF. Meanwhile, only a few miles from the US a disaster occurs that vaporizes a section of a town along with 50 people, and there is very little coverage.

I guess the media can't find any cute pictures of little girls who died in Lac-Megantic.

I only read the headlines a few days ago.

My condolences to the families, friends and, communities impacted by this disaster.

Regarding the asymmetric news coverage, it happens all the time. How many we're killed in the Boston bombings and how many when that Texas town was destroyed when their fertilizer plant blew sky high? We've heard for months about the three dead in Boston and hardly at all about the 15 dead in Texas.

RIP

Or maybe the RR company is keeping quiet because they don't want to let everyone know the disaster could have been avoided if they didn't force Denzel Washington to retire early.

Hopefully they are questioning Mr. Glass about this.

Video reminds me of a similar Train derailment in Bradford PA in 1980. 24 cars of crude oil derailed and caught on fire. Fortunately it was a less populated area south of town in Custer City.

Lot of finger pointing going on.. Thought they had a law in Canada about not letting anything idle when stop for a period of time.

True, lots of finger pointing.

Up to 60 people total (20 dead, 40 missing) :(