• A young Eric Moulds
    • Jeremy McDaniel
    • Russel Copeland
    • Bucky Brooks
    • Don Beebe
    • Al Edwards
    • Reggie Germany
    • Antonio Brown

I think people are in a "rush to judgemnet" concerning Josh Reed.  He had a nice rookie season, had trouble adjusting to a new position in his second year, and spent a good chunk of his third year injured.  I am not saying that he is an elite receiver, but given how it took about 6 weeks for our offense to finally start clicking a little this season (Reed was hurt for most of that time) it is not unreasonable to think that he can not still turn into a serviceable third receiver. When Reed returned from his injury this season, he had very few opportunities to shine...and yeah, he dropped a few.  Name me a Bills receiver (save Lee Evans) who didn't this year.  I would be shocked if the Bills don't give him one more season to establish himself.  Remember, a very good receiver in Eric Moulds has looked pretty average in the same offenses over the last three years...

202798[/snapback]

I agree with this post completely. Add to your points that Bledsoe throwing quick reads over the middle to slot receivers is not exactly a "strength" (unless you count middle linebackers on the opposition as being slot receivers --- he throws to them nicely). I saw enough of Reed at LSU to know he has potential. The only thing that worries me is some random stuff that has been posted about his attitude.

When Reed returned from his injury this season, he had very few opportunities to shine...and yeah, he dropped a few.  Name me a Bills receiver (save Lee Evans) who didn't this year. 

202798[/snapback]

That's like saying, "yeah, Bledsoe got sacked, but name me a Bills QB(save Shane Matthews) who didn't". That is not a reason to give him another pass. He exhausted those when he dropped everything in sight in 2003. To follow that up with another dreadful year is a pretty strong indicator that he stinks. The difference between he and Moulds is that even though Moulds was lousy early on, he was always a big, powerful and fast athlete. Reed is short, slow AND has bad hands.

I think people are in a "rush to judgemnet" concerning Josh Reed.  He had a nice rookie season, had trouble adjusting to a new position in his second year, and spent a good chunk of his third year injured.  I am not saying that he is an elite receiver, but given how it took about 6 weeks for our offense to finally start clicking a little this season (Reed was hurt for most of that time) it is not unreasonable to think that he can not still turn into a serviceable third receiver. When Reed returned from his injury this season, he had very few opportunities to shine...and yeah, he dropped a few.  Name me a Bills receiver (save Lee Evans) who didn't this year.  I would be shocked if the Bills don't give him one more season to establish himself.  Remember, a very good receiver in Eric Moulds has looked pretty average in the same offenses over the last three years...

203270[/snapback]

I agree with this post completely.  Add to your points that Bledsoe throwing quick reads over the middle to slot receivers is not exactly a "strength" (unless you count middle linebackers on the opposition as being slot receivers --- he throws to them nicely).  I saw enough of Reed at LSU to know he has potential. The only thing that worries me is some random stuff that has been posted about his attitude.

203270[/snapback]

this is BS!! who cares what he did in college. there hav been so many superstar college players who didn't have what it takes be nfl players. i won't list any cuz you know exactly the players i'm talking about. there are so many negatives that reed has PROVEN as an NFL player.

reed drops balls. according to WR Rankings by Football Outsiders reed caught only 44% of the balls thrown to him this year. think up any excuse you want, that % sucks!

reed doesn't make ANY plays. 2 TDs in 2 years, none this year. and he was supposedly known for his run after the catch ability. evans doesn't seem to have any problems finding the end zone. did reed make a catch for even ONE first down this year????

reed adds NOTHING to our offense when he is on the field. no leadership, no respect, he can't even be used as a decoy. i don't think i saw him make a block all year either.

what is one positive that reed consistently adds to this offense...just one???

this is BS!! who cares what he did in college.  there hav been so many superstar college players who didn't have what it takes be nfl players.  i won't list any cuz you know exactly the players i'm talking about.  there are so many negatives that reed has PROVEN as an NFL player.

reed drops balls.  according to WR Rankings by Football Outsiders reed caught only 44% of the balls thrown to him this year.  think up any excuse you want, that % sucks!

reed doesn't make ANY plays.  2 TDs in 2 years, none this year.  and he was supposedly known for his run after the catch ability.  evans doesn't seem to have any problems finding the end zone.  did reed make a catch for even ONE first down this year????

reed adds NOTHING to our offense when he is on the field.  no leadership, no respect, he can't even be used as a decoy.  i don't think i saw him make a block all year either.

what is one positive that reed consistently adds to this offense...just one???

203329[/snapback]

Don't get so uppity. I'm simply saying that it may not be fair to judge him just yet. BTW a 44% completion ratio does not mean they were all catchable. If you think we should cast him off, then fine. It is your opinion.

IMO he made several good plays in his first year. If you go back and look at both NE games (granted they were losses) he gave them a lot of trouble. He dropped one bunny in a 31-0 win and the naysayers started. He made some bad plays, but he did not have "countless dropped balls" as everyone seems to believe. I don't think he will be a HOFer but I do think he could still be a solid slot receiver. Bledsoe is not exactly the world's best hot read QB that will hit the slot receiver on a blitz (also my opinion). This does not absolve Reed, but it certainly makes it harder to call him a bust.

Don't get so uppity.  I'm simply saying that it may not be fair to judge him just yet.  BTW a 44% completion ratio does not mean they were all catchable.  If you think we should cast him off, then fine.  It is your opinion. 

IMO he made several good plays in his first year.  If you go back and look at both NE games (granted they were losses) he gave them a lot of trouble.  He dropped one bunny in a 31-0 win and the naysayers started.  He made some bad plays, but he did not have "countless dropped balls" as everyone seems to believe.  I don't think he will be a HOFer but I do think he could still be a solid slot receiver.  Bledsoe is not exactly the world's best hot read QB that will hit the slot receiver on a blitz (also my opinion).  This does not absolve Reed, but it certainly makes it harder to call him a bust.

203486[/snapback]

Reed is the kind of receiver Belichick would turn into a serious weapon. Unless his confidence is completely shot, that is.

Don't get so uppity.  I'm simply saying that it may not be fair to judge him just yet.  BTW a 44% completion ratio does not mean they were all catchable.

203486[/snapback]

OBVIOUSLY no receiver has 100% catchable balls thrown his way. but 44%???? i can't believe you would try to defend that.

the fact that TD had to use a mulligan with the evans pick to make up for JR proves he's a bust. even if he suprises me next year and becomes an outstanding third reciever, that is not what the 36th overall pick should give you.

I think he is unlike any receiver we've had in that he was a superstar in college, looked like he'd be a great slot receiver his rookie year. A real possession guy who isn't going to drop anything. (I don't think he dropped any his rookie year).

Then, he turns into a guy who can't catch an important pass to save his life. How many third downs did he drop that would have been first downs. An anti-possession receiever is what he turned into.

He reminds me of James Lofton in his last year with us. Dropping everything. Reed is such a major disappointment and an enigma.

I think he is unlike any receiver we've had in that he was a superstar in college, looked like he'd be a great slot receiver his rookie year.  A real possession guy who isn't going to drop anything.  (I don't think he dropped any his rookie year).

Then, he turns into a guy who can't catch an important pass to save his life.  How many third downs did he drop that would have been first downs.  An anti-possession receiever is what he turned into.

He reminds me of James Lofton in his last year with us.  Dropping everything.  Reed is such a major disappointment and an enigma.

203632[/snapback]

Except he didn't play much slot his rookie year. Virtually every big game Peerless had came when HE was in the slot and Josh Reed was on the outside.

That's like saying, "yeah, Bledsoe got sacked, but name me a Bills QB(save Shane Matthews) who didn't".  That is not a reason to give him another pass.  He exhausted those when he dropped everything in sight in 2003.  To follow that up with another dreadful year is a pretty strong indicator that he stinks.  The difference between he and Moulds is that even though Moulds was lousy early on, he was always a big, powerful and fast athlete.  Reed is short, slow AND has bad hands.

203309[/snapback]

That is just dumb. There is a big difference between a QB who handles the ball on every offensive play, and a third receiver who may get two or three passes thrown his way during the course of a game (particularly when Drew seemed fixated on Moulds for the first 12 weeks of the season). I know it wasn't you, but someone pointed out that Reed caught only 44% of the balls that were thrown to him. What, did he have like 12 cathces this year? That would mean, off the top of my head, he had about 28 balls thrown his way. Not all of those 28 were what would be termed as catchable. I can remember two that JP threw to him in clean up time that were just desperation throw aways.

My point is, yeah, Reed may not be what you would want from the 36th pick of the draft, but at this point, I would say his grade is "incomplete". One decent rookie year, a drop off in a new offense (and new position) on a weakened offense in his second year, and barely playing in his third year is not a lot to go on. Who knows, he may be gone, but I wouldn't be shocked (or as angry as some of you) to see him on the roster next season. If he gets cut, it will likely be more for salary cap reasons (yes I agree his salary, whatever it is, is likely too much for his production thus far) than for production. If he is cut, I would be shocked if he didn't catch on with another team. He doesn't remind me of any of the choices in the poll. He could turn out to be more of a Charles Johnson type (in his pre-Bills days), who had a rough start, and bounced around a bit, before putting together 3 or 4 pretty productive seasons.