Will less sacks this year equal more wins??

I read an article that I will try and link later that said Pettine's defense may have less sacks than last year's group yet instead have more QB pressures..

I am not worried too much about stats as long we are competitive..

Even if they do not get a sack week one it would be worth it seeing Brady running for his life and being forced to make mistakes..

- update

Here is the actual article

Because new Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine employs an aggressive, attack-first defense, fans have assumed that the Bills' sack totals will soar through the roof in 2013. Then again, the Bills finished with 36 sacks a year ago, while the New York Jets - Pettine's former team - had just 30.

"Sacks, to me, have always been a little bit elusive when you're a pressure defense," Pettine told BuffaloBills.com in an interview published this morning. "I think the ball tends to come out a little bit sooner. We've actually timed it, gone to the tape and timed it. We've always felt that the ball came out, on average, much quicker against us than it did against a lot of other teams just because of the perceived threat of pressure."

Pressure, Pettine says, is what helps a defense compete in the NFL, even against elite-level competition.

"To me, what's more important is how much did we affect the quarterback this game? One of the first times we ever went against New England in New York, the first game in the 2009 season, I think we pressured Tom Brady over 20 times - we physically got a hand on him, knocked him down, whatever it was - over 20 times," Pettine explained. "Never got a sack, but to me, that was a game where we felt he was constantly under pressure, and it affected him, we thought, late in the game. That's what we're more looking for - how much can we affect the quarterback?"

Only once in Pettine's four-year run as Jets defensive coordinator did his defense finish with more sacks than the 36 the Bills put up last year (the Jets had 40 in 2010). Bills fans can clearly expect an uptick in pressures per game, but our question for you is this: are you still expecting more sacks than the 36 the team had a year ago?

Edited by Ludwig van

Pressures lead to more turnovers. Sacks are sexier, though.

GO BILLS!

!I believe it also leads to bragging rights, which in turn will lead to a boost in confidence.

Edited by FLbills

I read an article that I will try and link later that said Pettine's defense may have less sacks than last year's group yet instead have more QB pressures..

Even if they do not get a sack week one it would be worth it seeing Brady running for his life and being forced to make mistakes..

Quarterback pressures are a result of trying to sack the quarterback. Teams that pressure the quarterback naturally get more sacks. Not sure how this writer you speak of can argue a defense can get more pressure on the QB than lasts years team but fewer sacks.

Quarterback pressures are a result of trying to sack the quarterback. Teams that pressure the quarterback naturally get more sacks. Not sure how this writer you speak of can argue a defense can get more pressure on the QB than lasts years team but fewer sacks.

Edited by Ludwig van

- update

Here is the actual article

Because new Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine employs an aggressive, attack-first defense, fans have assumed that the Bills' sack totals will soar through the roof in 2013. Then again, the Bills finished with 36 sacks a year ago, while the New York Jets - Pettine's former team - had just 30.

"Sacks, to me, have always been a little bit elusive when you're a pressure defense," Pettine told BuffaloBills.com in an interview published this morning. "I think the ball tends to come out a little bit sooner. We've actually timed it, gone to the tape and timed it. We've always felt that the ball came out, on average, much quicker against us than it did against a lot of other teams just because of the perceived threat of pressure."

Pressure, Pettine says, is what helps a defense compete in the NFL, even against elite-level competition.

"To me, what's more important is how much did we affect the quarterback this game? One of the first times we ever went against New England in New York, the first game in the 2009 season, I think we pressured Tom Brady over 20 times - we physically got a hand on him, knocked him down, whatever it was - over 20 times," Pettine explained. "Never got a sack, but to me, that was a game where we felt he was constantly under pressure, and it affected him, we thought, late in the game. That's what we're more looking for - how much can we affect the quarterback?"

Only once in Pettine's four-year run as Jets defensive coordinator did his defense finish with more sacks than the 36 the Bills put up last year (the Jets had 40 in 2010). Bills fans can clearly expect an uptick in pressures per game, but our question for you is this: are you still expecting more sacks than the 36 the team had a year ago?

Nice article. I don't know how the sack totals will play out, but I expect the front 7 to collapse and penetrate the pocket on a more consistent basis. In doing so I would expect them to disrupt the running game more often than not. I don't really care about sack totals so much as stopping teams from scoring points. I am definitely optimistic.