Patriots' Hernandez arrested in homicide investigation

So it's possible to ride around in a car, hang around in clubs etc, all night with 3 other guys, shoot one of them, and as long as nobody says "I did it" or "he did it", everything is fine, and nobody can be held accountable legally?

I guess if the Police don't have the facts to back it up, what you said would be true. In today's age, people are not found as guilty if there is no factual evidence of committing a crime. I don't know if criminals are getting better at wiping out evidence or Police/Crime Investigators are simply not good at beating the Criminals at their own games. We see so many shows on TV like CSI, Dexter etc and yet it appears the local police don't have any solid evidence against him.

This is a classic example of a circumstantial evidence case.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? The first time he was questioned, he said he didn't know who did it. 4 months later, he files a civil suit claiming it was Hernandez. When he first filed the suit, he said there were plates and screws needed to fix his arm. Then he refiled and said there were no plates and screws. And he's a convited drug dealer.

In the tough and gritty world of the street there is nothing unusual for peopple in the drug and criminal business not to bring their complaints to the police authorities. Why would this questionable character bring up the issue at this late date? The possible shooter is in a very weak position where he can't retaliate and where he is now under the scrutiny of another set of police authorities.

How? Even if Hernandez is convicted of murder, it may not come in as evidence in the Bradley's shooting. And AH hasn't even been charged yet

If the prior shooting case goes to a criminal court setting you are correct that the post shooting espisode would not be allowed to be brought up in court. The rules are very strict in regards to relevancy in a criminal court. That isn't the case with the belated civil filing. In a civil court the trial and filing rules are much looser. In the civil setting a lot of tangential issues are permissable, even if not directly, associated with the particular case. Post incident behavior would not automatically be excluded from the civil trial because there is a relevancy of gun behavior that would be relevant to the civil case.

Let it be understood I am not making any judgments on the legitimacy of the claims of the person involved in the early incident. I simply don't know.

I know people are saying the police don't have enough but don't forget Hernandez can just bail himself out and the longer they wait to arrest him the more chance something might break in their favor. That would up the Bail amount which is what I think the cops are doing. I mean he isn't going anywhere.

Edited by Ralph W.

I guess if the Police don't have the facts to back it up, what you said would be true. In today's age, people are not found as guilty if there is no factual evidence of committing a crime. I don't know if criminals are getting better at wiping out evidence or Police/Crime Investigators are simply not good at beating the Criminals at their own games. We see so many shows on TV like CSI, Dexter etc and yet it appears the local police don't have any solid evidence against him.

Don't jump to the conclusion that just because the police aren't immediately making arrets that they won't be forthcoming. This is a case where the police know who the people are involved with in this assassination. They are methodically moving forward making sure that they make no procedural mistakes that will come back to haunt them when it gets to the trial stage.

What is impressive about this high profile case is that there haven't been any "leaks" coming from the police side of operation. That is unusual in this type of case. This is a tight and forward moving investigation. The authorities know that this is a highly publicized case and they know that AH has a lot of money to hire the best attorneys. Doing things right and slowly moving forward is better than quickly moving forward and making mistakes. So far I am impressed with the way they are handling their business.

I know people are saying the police don't have enough but don't forget Hernandez can just bail himself out and the longer they wait to arrest him the more chance something might break in their favor. That would up the Bail amount which is what I think the cops are doing. I mean he isn't going anywhere.

Odds are in this type of violent case where someone was killed with a shot to the head (assassination) the judge is not going to allow bail. This is similar to the OJ case where the killing was so brutal that the accused stayed in jail until after the trial was over.

Edited by JohnC

Shortly after an arrest a bail and release hearing will take place. Unless I''m wrong so far he hasn't been arrested?

A hearing can take place anytime after doesn't have to be shortly afer.

Edited by Ralph W.

In the tough and gritty world of the street there is nothing unusual for peopple in the drug and criminal business not to bring their complaints to the police authorities. Why would this questionable character bring up the issue at this late date? The possible shooter is in a very weak position where he can't retaliate and where he is now under the scrutiny of another set of police authorities.

didnt the original filing come a week before the murder? if one was going to speculate, it might be the february shooting coming to light could have had some sort of spark for the killing

Don't jump to the conclusion that just because the police aren't immediately making arrets that they won't be forthcoming. This is a case where the police know who the people are involved with in this assassination. They are methodically moving forward making sure that they make no procedural mistakes that will come back to haunt them when it gets to the trial stage.

What is impressive about this high profile case is that there haven't been any "leaks" coming from the police side of operation. That is unusual in this type of case. This is a tight and forward moving investigation. The authorities know that this is a highly publicized case and they know that AH has a lot of money to hire the best attorneys. Doing things right and slowly moving forward is better than quickly moving forward and making mistakes. So far I am impressed with the way they are handling their business.

Well said.

just like i said it was simply a guess to assume guilt day 1, ill say its simply a guess to assume innocence just because its all quiet now. whats behind the curtain could be huge, could be nothing.... but likely somewhere in between. i think if they had the "smoking gun" we would have seen an arrest already but that doesnt mean they arent assembling a lot of pieces that add up to something as strong as that smoking gun type

didnt the original filing come a week before the murder? if one was going to speculate, it might be the february shooting coming to light could have had some sort of spark for the killing

I don't know what sparked the killing or who is most respnsible for it. It could simply be you are messing with my girlfriend's sister and I am going to make you pay. It could also be for a stupid reason such as you looked at me wrong in the bar. My suspicions is that it has to do with the victim's relationship to AH's girlfriend's sister.

It appears that the police know who exactly is involved in this violent episode. It is a small circle of connected people. There is nothing random about this killing. I'm confident that the theory of the case is well established and now the conflicting claims within that circle of associations have to be sorted out.

Edited by JohnC

I don't know what sparked the killing or who is most respnsible for it. It could simply be you are messing with my girlfriend's sister and I am going to make you pay. It could also be for a stupid reason such as you looked at me wrong in the bar. My suspicions is that it has to do with the victim's relationship to AH's girlfriend's sister.

It appears that the police know who exactly is involved in this violent episode. It is a small circle of connedted people. There is nothing random about this killing. I'm confident that the theory of the case is well established and now the conflicting claims within that circle of associations have to be sorted out.

without going back to re-read, i had interpreted the post i replied to as implying that the february lawsuit was coming because hernandez is now an easy target, i was just pointing out that i think the order was backwards for that. that if the lawsuit and this shooting are related, the causation likely runs the opposite direction.

Edited by NoSaint

According to a tweet I just read, police are searching waters around AH's home in scuba gear, with metal detectors.

Wow.

Yes...PFT is speculating that one (or both) of the other two suspected vehicle-inhabitants may have flipped on Hernandez and tipped them off to the location of the murder weapon.

Yes...PFT is speculating that one (or both) of the other two suspected vehicle-inhabitants may have flipped on Hernandez and tipped them off to the location of the murder weapon.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/24/report-police-prepare-to-search-water-near-hernandezs-home/

From the article: The most obvious source for speculation is that they’re searching for the gun that was used to shoot Lloyd. If so, it’s unknown whether the police have reason to think the gun is there, or whether they are just being thorough.

Not disputing, just figured id link since i was reading it currently too

Edited by NoSaint