Roethlisberger gives check to tsunami aid

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF was this line in the story.........

"Even on a team that openly encourages its players to participate in charity activities and community events, Roethlisberger's $18,000 gesture before the Jan. 15 Jets-Steelers game created a positive stir."

What the f&$& kind of team is that? That has to be the most shocking thing I've heard in a while. Man, they take millions from fans every year and discourage the players from giving back?

Just when I can't hate professional sports any more, I read something like this. The day I tune out completely is fast approaching.

It's an existential question. Why do we watch? We don't know these players. They give us nothing more than 3 hours of time a week. When it's over, what have we gained? Are we better for it? Has it truly enriched our lives in any way?

"Even on a team that openly encourages its players to participate in charity activities and community events, Roethlisberger's $18,000 gesture before the Jan. 15 Jets-Steelers game created a positive stir."

202254[/snapback]

I could swear that is says encourages. Maybe thats just me.

What the f&$& kind of team is that? That has to be the most shocking thing I've heard in a while. Man, they take millions from fans every year and discourage the players from giving back?

Just when I can't hate professional sports any more, I read something like this. The day I tune out completely is fast approaching. 

It's an existential question. Why do we watch? We don't know these players. They give us nothing more than 3 hours of time a week. When it's over, what have we gained? Are we better for it? Has it truly enriched our lives in any way?

202254[/snapback]

?

202254[/snapback]

:unsure:

Way to piss on a good deed.

202316[/snapback]

Call me cynical, but he only did it because his PR guy told him it'd make his image look better.

$18,000? Come on, that's peanuts! It's his bonus check for playing a football game this weekend. And it's tax deductable on his $9 million he earned last year (although that's a drop in the bucket).

If he didn't do it for the publicity, he wouldn't have made a big deal about it.

CW

202254[/snapback]

Now THAT'S comedy... seriously, I teared up...

202254[/snapback]

LOL, wow, maybe you should take a look at the quote again.

Call me cynical, but he only did it because his PR guy told him it'd make his image look better.

$18,000?  Come on, that's peanuts!  It's his bonus check for playing a football game this weekend.  And it's tax deductable on his $9 million he earned last year (although that's a drop in the bucket).

If he didn't do it for the publicity, he wouldn't have made a big deal about it.

CW

202324[/snapback]

yeah butyou are ignoring the issue of social responsibility on BRs behalf. by publicly declaring he'll donate some cash (in this case he chose something tangible like is bonus cheque) he makes a large number of people aware of the disaster, keeps us pressure on to continue donating and so on. sports personalities are influential members of society - so don't underestimate the hidden worth in his donation.

good job Ben.

yeah butyou are ignoring the issue of social responsibility on BRs behalf. by publicly declaring he'll donate some cash (in this case he chose something tangible like is bonus cheque) he makes a large number of people aware of the disaster, keeps us pressure on to continue donating and so on. sports personalities are influential members of society - so don't underestimate the hidden worth in his donation.

good job Ben.

202475[/snapback]

Point taken.

I still think $18k is a paultry amount of money (for him) though; I'm not saying donate a million, but come on now.

CW

18,000 more than JP donated.

202522[/snapback]

Unless JP donated behind the scenes (like a lot of celebs do).

I guess my beef is that if you're going to donate publically, don't make it a trivial amount; it's his bonus for the playoff game, that's it.

CW

That is a nice gesture but making $9 million and donating $18,000 is about .2 percent of gross income not 2 but .2 I donated at least 15% to charities every year. I think the regular people donate more in percentages of annual income then the rich.