Roethlisberger gives check to tsunami aid

I donated $50 last week. I thought I was doing a good thing and felt good about it. Now, thanks to Fez, I feel like a piece of crap.

202549[/snapback]

If you make $25,000/year, then you donated just as much as BR did. :unsure: Actually, more, since BR made $9,018,000 (and could earn more, depending on how far they go in the playoffs). :blink:

The difference is, you're not getting articles printed in newspapers and websites about your donation.

CW

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How are you privy to how money Big Ben gave to other charitys? The NFL does tons of volunteer work. I am sure Big Ben has volunteered some time. The best deeds are done anonymously. There probably are many in the NFL that gave signigicantly.

How are you privy to how money Big Ben gave to other charitys?  The NFL does tons of volunteer work.  I am sure Big Ben has volunteered some time.  The best deeds are done anonymously.  There probably are many in the NFL that gave signigicantly.

202558[/snapback]

Exactly! So why are they making such a big deal about this one?

CW

Point taken.

I still think $18k is a paultry amount of money (for him) though; I'm not saying donate a million, but come on now.

CW

202502[/snapback]

Yet you don't know what he donates to other causes, monetarily or time wise.

This is a damned if you do, damned if you don't type scenario. Nothing negative to find with it.

Exactly!  So why are they making such a big deal about this one?

CW

202569[/snapback]

As mentioned before, it's so that maybe, just maybe, the other 200 players that are playing this weekend are "guilted" into doing the same. Heck, if half the players do it, that's $1,800,000. Remember we are talking about a competitive sport, one-upsmanship is the name of the game....

Not to poop on a good deed but it was not even .03%

He donated .0015%

That would be like a person making 60,000 a year donating $91

He is going to make 11.818 million this year if they lose this week. If they go to the bowl he will make 11.854 million

As mentioned before, it's so that maybe, just maybe, the other 200 players that are playing this weekend are "guilted" into doing the same.  Heck, if half the players do it, that's $1,800,000.  Remember we are talking about a competitive sport, one-upsmanship is the name of the game....

202618[/snapback]

I can't believe that some people would dare to complain whenever someone donates thousands of dollars to disaster victims.

Such bitches.

Jesus, after this is all said and done, SE asia is going to be better off that before it started.

Sorry to sound cynical, but have you guys ever been in a poor neighborhood here in the good old USA? Little kids here go without everyday. But it's like our dirty little secret that no one wants to talk about.

But a Tsunami hits, and already private Americans alone have donated $6,000+ per death over there. That's not counting other countries private donations, or government donations.

Oh, and this is nothing against Roethlisberger at all, I'm just saying, this Tsunami is getting quite a bit of our time and money.

Well, I know I'm going to catch alot of heat for this post, but when the hell are we going to take care of our own before saving the rest of the World?

Does anyone ever give the US money for 911 or the Hurricanes FL had billions of $ damage

203031[/snapback]

They don't give us any $6,000 per victim. (and $6,000 USD to a person in Sri Lanka is probably close to three years of their annual income), so look at it that way.

I know they are poor, and need help, and I have no problem with that. But let's realize that we MAY be going overboard, and even if you don't buy that, why not take 10% of what the US PRIVATE CITIZENS gave and give it to kids here who go to school every day without a lunch, or don't even have a home, or are sick, abannoned, negleted.

I mean, by the time we're done being charitable, SE Asia will be better off than it was before.

Anyone ever do that for us over here?

They don't give us any $6,000 per victim. (and $6,000 USD to a person in Sri Lanka is probably close to three years of their annual income), so look at it that way.

I know they are poor, and need help, and I have no problem with that. But let's realize that we MAY be going overboard, and even if you don't buy that, why not take 10% of what the US PRIVATE CITIZENS gave and give it to kids here who go to school every day without a lunch, or don't even have a home, or are sick, abannoned, negleted.

I mean, by the time we're done being charitable, SE Asia will be better off than it was before.

Anyone ever do that for us over here?

203050[/snapback]

Translation = I am a selfish low-life who doesn't donate to any charities but I have 'a problem' with how other people choose to donated their money.

Good grief.

Translation = I am a selfish low-life who doesn't donate to any charities but I have 'a problem' with how other people choose to donated their money.

Good grief.

203071[/snapback]

I didn't take his post that way. I say he has a point. We have a lot of "situations" in the states that we tend to overlook.

I didn't take his post that way. I say he has a point. We have a lot of "situations" in the states that we tend to overlook.

203083[/snapback]

Our poverty isn't sexy enough for the news media to regularly cover. Now throw in a good natural disaster and we're all over it.

203083[/snapback]

US charities take in billions every year. To suggest that some American kid is starving to death because people are helping out Asians is pretty disingenuous IMO.

p.s. and I stand by my prediction that he didn't donate squat to any charities last year.

US charities take in billions every year.  To suggest that some American kid is starving to death because people are helping out Asians is pretty disingenuous IMO.

p.s.  and I stand by my prediction that he didn't donate squat to any charities last year.

203129[/snapback]

Not that its any of your business, but I did. Hunter's Hope, The United Way, and yes, the Tsunami relief.

I do think people over there should get help, but there comes a point where you realize that 1) if we took even 20% of the help the private citizens of the US have given to n area that would rather see us burn that help us out had gone to kids in the US, or AIDS research, or cancer, etc,... maybe we could help out our own cause and 2) We have donated more money than most of those nations' entire GNP.

Just a different look at it....

And thanks for your predicition... yet one more scum bag to know not to take seriously.

US charities take in billions every year.  To suggest that some American kid is starving to death because people are helping out Asians is pretty disingenuous IMO.

p.s.  and I stand by my prediction that he didn't donate squat to any charities last year.

203129[/snapback]

Again, that's not what he said. Are you saying there aren't starving kids in America? Get your head out of your ass and get with reality. It seems that Americans are busting at the seams to help the tsunami victims but every day there are people here that need help too. I donate a ton of money every year but don't let it go outside the US. Just my opinion and who I help. I have given donations to tsunami victims but EVERY year my donations go to help Americans. Making general assumtions about someone is just wrong.

Again, that's not what he said. Are you saying there aren't starving kids in America? Get your head out of your ass and get with reality. It seems that Americans are busting at the seams to help the tsunami victims but every day there are people here that need help too. I donate a ton of money every year but don't let it go outside the US. Just my opinion and who I help. I have given donations to tsunami victims but EVERY year my donations go to help Americans. Making general assumtions about someone is just wrong.

203160[/snapback]

I also made a small donation to the Tsunami Victims. But, 4% of my paycheck goes to the United Way every week.

Things that piss me off are those Sally Struthers commercials and that old man, they are walking around in foreign countries showing starving children... how about walk down south palm beach, and go to the elementary schools where kids barely have two changes of clothing and probably eat 400 calories a day.

Sure, those foreign kids have it worse (relatively), but let's share some of the wealth into our own backyards...

203129[/snapback]

Your posts are making you sound like an idiot. Numerous media reports have stated the the charities in SE Asia have MORE money than they know what to do with right now (or can spend). As a matter of fact, Doctors without Borders has asked that people NO LONGER send them money earmarked specifically for the Tsunami, because they have received more for that effort than they can spend. They have asked for general donations only that DWBs can earmark as they see fit.

I personally after the Tsunami made a donation to my LOCAL United Way because of a report that due to the massive outpouring or funds to Tsunami relief contributions to local charities have ground to a halt.

Think before you post!!!