Roethlisberger gives check to tsunami aid

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF was this line in the story.........

"Even on a team that openly encourages its players to participate in charity activities and community events, Roethlisberger's $18,000 gesture before the Jan. 15 Jets-Steelers game created a positive stir."

What the f&$& kind of team is that? That has to be the most shocking thing I've heard in a while. Man, they take millions from fans every year and discourage the players from giving back?

Just when I can't hate professional sports any more, I read something like this. The day I tune out completely is fast approaching. 

It's an existential question. Why do we watch? We don't know these players. They give us nothing more than 3 hours of time a week. When it's over, what have we gained? Are we better for it? Has it truly enriched our lives in any way?

202254[/snapback]

zonabb, You shouldn't be allowed to post again on any thread until you come back and face up to this stupidity. Can you read?

If anyone else sees him on another thread, please tell him to get his cyber ass back here.

I have given donations to tsunami victims but EVERY year my donations go to help Americans.

203160[/snapback]

Thanks for repeating my point. I said that US charities take in billions every year. You are an example of the people that donate to charities every year that make that happen.

People being pissed off because of what OTHER people choose to do with THEIR money are the ones with heads up asses. Apparently, that includes you too.

WTF was this line in the story.........

"Even on a team that openly encourages its players to participate in charity activities and community events, Roethlisberger's $18,000 gesture before the Jan. 15 Jets-Steelers game created a positive stir."

What the f&$& kind of team is that? That has to be the most shocking thing I've heard in a while. Man, they take millions from fans every year and discourage the players from giving back?

Just when I can't hate professional sports any more, I read something like this. The day I tune out completely is fast approaching. 

It's an existential question. Why do we watch? We don't know these players. They give us nothing more than 3 hours of time a week. When it's over, what have we gained? Are we better for it? Has it truly enriched our lives in any way?

202254[/snapback]

What Big Ben did was a genuine gift. It's good that we have people like this in America.

Thanks for repeating my point.  I said that US charities take in billions every year.  You are an example of the people that donate to charities every year that make that happen.

People being pissed off because of what OTHER people choose to do with THEIR money are the ones with heads up asses.  Apparently, that includes you too.

203207[/snapback]

Ok, KD, first I accept your apology for telling everyone that I don't donate to any charities and then I told you that I did. I will happily fax you my last paycheck of the year so you can see my YTD donations to the UW.

Anyway, you just helped my argument. You just said " You are an example of the people that donate to charities every year that make that happen.".

What's unfortunate is you have to look for examples of people that donate to domestic charities.

But, I'd bet if you asked around you office, 75% or more have donated something to the people of SE Asia. What's sad is that every dollar we give to them is like sending $10 to a chairty here due to the value of their money.

This is a total guess, but I would estimate that they average annual income is about $2,000 - $4,000. Now, we, AS PRIVATE PEOPLE (and JUST in the US) have donated $6,600 per death.

Something just needs to change with donations here - that's all I'm saying.

Thanks for repeating my point.  I said that US charities take in billions every year.  You are an example of the people that donate to charities every year that make that happen.

People being pissed off because of what OTHER people choose to do with THEIR money are the ones with heads up asses.  Apparently, that includes you too.

203207[/snapback]

Did I ever say which American charities I donate to? No. Have you ever taken a look at the percentages of donations actually go to the charity? In many instances upwards of 25 to 50% is eaten up in advertising. That's the real crime. You continue to take statements and twist them to fit your need. What are you a lawyer or politician?

Ok, KD, first I accept your apology for telling everyone that I don't donate to any charities and then I told you that I did. I will happily fax you my last paycheck of the year so you can see my YTD donations to the UW.

I want to see your paycheck. I want to know if it pays to work in the pr0n industry :)

(just kidding Steve; trying to lighten the thread up a little :lol: ).

CW

Did I ever say which American charities I donate to? No. Have you ever taken a look at the percentages of donations actually go to the charity? In many instances upwards of 25 to 50% is eaten up in advertising. That's the real crime. You continue to take statements and twist them to fit your need. What are you a lawyer or politician?

203220[/snapback]

Close, I'm a con man. You are the one who said "I donate a ton of money every year but don't let it go outside the US". From that I can't assume that you donate to US charities? :) I didn't mention anything about specific charities. I said the fact that you give to US charities in addition to making a donation to SA Asia simply was evidence to my original point that US charities take in billions per year already. Would it be nice if people gave enough money to alleviate all the suffering in this country? Sure. But because they don't, should we all have a "screw Asia" mentality when it comes to charitable giving? Apparently you and steve think so, but I prefer to let each person decide that for themselves.

And yes, I am very familiar with expense ratios of various charities (not that it has anything to do with the discussion at hand).

Anyway, you just helped my argument. You just said " You are an example of the people that donate to charities every year that make that happen.".

What's unfortunate is you have to look for examples of people that donate to domestic charities.

But, I'd bet if you asked around you office, 75% or more have donated something to the people of SE Asia. What's sad is that every dollar we give to them is like sending $10 to a chairty here due to the value of their money.

This is a total guess, but I would estimate that they average annual income is about $2,000 - $4,000. Now, we, AS PRIVATE PEOPLE (and JUST in the US) have donated $6,600 per death.

203217[/snapback]

I'm not sure why you would want an apology from a scumbag that is not to be taken seriously, but............realize that the money going to SE Asia isn't simply just cash being handed to people (a la 9-11). It's going to help rebuild infrastructure and systems for water, sewer, transportation, etc.

I certainly agree that people should give more money to domestic causes, but I don't agree with begrudging generosity towards other nations in times of crisis just because the US isn’t paradise. And if you have given to both such causes as you suggest, that is commendable.

203217[/snapback]

Why do you keep harping on this $6600 per death? The money is not going to the dead people. Divide the dollar amount by the millions of living people left homeless and jobless (and without means to earn that meager living). That's gonna spread a little thinner, don't you think?

Nice to see that this thread has turned itself around: while it first it appeared that Roth was giving way too little to the Tsunami relief fund, now the C.W. has it that he gave $18,000 too much. :)

Nice to see that this thread has turned itself around: while it first it appeared that Roth was giving way too little to the Tsunami relief fund, now the C.W. has it that he gave $18,000 too much.  :P

Where did I say $18,000 was too much? ;)

CW