"Mind-Blowing Stats for The Buffalo Bills" NFL.com

Saw this nice photo essay on The Bills at nfl.com.

It's got some nice vintage photos and some overlooked stats - like OJ's 2003 yds in 14 games (still the record).

I did a search and didn't see this posted anywhere, but if that's not the case, mods please merge/delete/send me to hell. :devil:

Hey, we're in the doldrums. Thought some might like the pics.

Thanks!

Awesome offense nets less-than-awesome result

In 2002, Drew Bledsoe threw for 4,359 yards, Travis Henry ran for 1,438 yards, Eric Moulds had 1,292 receiving yards and Peerless Price had 1,252 receiving yards. The Bills went 8-8 that season and finished last in the AFC East, as the three other teams finished 9-7. The Bills are the only team in NFL history to have a 4,000-yard passer, 1,000-yard rusher and two 1,000-yard receivers while finishing in last place in their division.

This is the one that just really baffles the mind. How in the world can you do that and only get to 8-8. I remember watching it, and I saw it with my own eyes, but it is really kind of unbelievable when looking back on it.

In 2002, Drew Bledsoe threw for 4,359 yards, Travis Henry ran for 1,438 yards, Eric Moulds had 1,292 receiving yards and Peerless Price had 1,252 receiving yards. The Bills went 8-8 that season and finished last in the AFC East, as the three other teams finished 9-7. The Bills are the only team in NFL history to have a 4,000-yard passer, 1,000-yard rusher and two 1,000-yard receivers while finishing in last place in their division.

This is the one that just really baffles the mind. How in the world can you do that and only get to 8-8. I remember watching it, and I saw it with my own eyes, but it is really kind of unbelievable when looking back on it.

Bad defense and some inopportune turnovers. Turnover ratio was one of the worst in the league.

Two other really odd things about that season were:

1) Three of their first four games went to overtime (2-1).

2) They were actually shutout once (10-0). An offense with those numbers should have been able to overcome ten points; however, it was their worst statistical game of that season (185 total yards) and five turnovers plus a missed FG will tend to kill anyone's chances of winning.

Saw this nice photo essay on The Bills at nfl.com.

It's got some nice vintage photos and some overlooked stats - like OJ's 2003 yds in 14 games (still the record).

I did a search and didn't see this posted anywhere, but if that's not the case, mods please merge/delete/send me to hell. :devil:

Hey, we're in the doldrums. Thought some might like the pics.

Thanks!

I'm not sure OJ's 143 yard per game is overlooked. But how about these mind-blowing stats:

In 1973, OJ won the rushing title by 859 yards!

OJ had 75% more yards than the second-best back that year.

No back in the modern era, not even Jim Brown, was so far out in front of his peers as OJ.

Bad defense and some inopportune turnovers. Turnover ratio was one of the worst in the league.

Plus the special teams had some pretty craptastic moments at innopportune times. Like the Jets game that opened the season.

I'm not sure OJ's 143 yard per game is overlooked. But how about these mind-blowing stats:

In 1973, OJ won the rushing title by 859 yards!

OJ had 75% more yards than the second-best back that year.

No back in the modern era, not even Jim Brown, was so far out in front of his peers as OJ.

Would you say he represented the cutting edge of running back play?

His slashing style was far ahead of his peers.

I don't get it again.

But seriously, folks... This thread is about a nice little, interesting and nostalgic photo essay. Does it really really have to become another Top 10 List of double homicide jokes? No, REALLY? Don't know about the rest of you, but I've heard them all, mostly from the same morons who asked me first if I knew what "Bills" stands for (if you haven't heard that one, congratulations on your first birthday. Hope you had a nice party. With puppies and kitties and duckies). It's been a long time and they weren't funny when they were fresh. Can we please stop? I choose to remember how excited I was watching O.J. break 2000 as I was decorating the Christmas tree. Better memory.

Please; just say no to easy, unfunny attempts at humor. Newsflash: it ain't clever. Maybe you think they're funny (for the 10,000th time), but I bet I'm not the only one who disagrees.

Can we make TBD and TSW an O.J. Joke-Free Zone?"

I don't get it again.

But seriously, folks... This thread is about a nice little, interesting and nostalgic photo essay. Does it really really have to become another Top 10 List of double homicide jokes? No, REALLY? Don't know about the rest of you, but I've heard them all, mostly from the same morons who asked me first if I knew what "Bills" stands for (if you haven't heard that one, congratulations on your first birthday. Hope you had a nice party. With puppies and kitties and duckies). It's been a long time and they weren't funny when they were fresh. Can we please stop? I choose to remember how excited I was watching O.J. break 2000 as I was decorating the Christmas tree. Better memory.

Please; just say no to easy, unfunny attempts at humor. Newsflash: it ain't clever. Maybe you think they're funny (for the 10,000th time), but I bet I'm not the only one who disagrees.

Mommy said that I couldn't throw a party. She said I didn't know any people my age and that she would just invite her friends over...

So how did the 2002 Bills have a 4,000 yd. passer, a 1,000 yd. rusher and 2 thousand-yard receivers and still finish last place? Obviously our QB was the problem. :rolleyes:

PTR

But the failure to address the QB position since Kelly retired is well known to be the root cause of all Bills failures of the last thirteen years. ;)

So how did the 2002 Bills have a 4,000 yd. passer, a 1,000 yd. rusher and 2 thousand-yard receivers and still finish last place? Obviously our QB was the problem. :rolleyes:

PTR

Because that defense couldn't close out games. Also, Bledsoe's game tapered off after the 1st half of the season and was pedestrian in the 2nd half. Special teams was pretty horrible, giving up 2 TDs in the season opener. Also, if you notice, this is the only time, the Bills came close in W/L record with rest of the AFC East...3 teams finished 9-7 with the Jets winning the division and the Bills finished 8-8 and in last place!!!

I don't get it again.

lighten-up-frances_t268.jpg?7f6c82c4e3ebc52dbf2e980dcc8631719b6d5f11