"Mind-Blowing Stats for The Buffalo Bills" NFL.com

The very last sentence of the piece:

"A seven-win season in 2013 for the Bills would be their first in five years."

Wow, that is depressing. Remember when Dick Jauron was a bum because he went 7-9 every year? It's been five years since we hit those lofty heights.

(To clarify, Jauron really was a bum. Going 7-9 in 3 straight seasons is bad and should not be defended, plus he was a bad in-game coach and headed the most boring, lackluster, unexciting Bills teams I've ever seen.)

Awesome offense nets less-than-awesome result

In 2002, Drew Bledsoe threw for 4,359 yards, Travis Henry ran for 1,438 yards, Eric Moulds had 1,292 receiving yards and Peerless Price had 1,252 receiving yards. The Bills went 8-8 that season and finished last in the AFC East, as the three other teams finished 9-7. The Bills are the only team in NFL history to have a 4,000-yard passer, 1,000-yard rusher and two 1,000-yard receivers while finishing in last place in their division.

This is the one that just really baffles the mind. How in the world can you do that and only get to 8-8. I remember watching it, and I saw it with my own eyes, but it is really kind of unbelievable when looking back on it.

The really crazy thing is the Jets won the division at 9-7, Dolphins 9-7, Patriots 9-7 and Bills 8-8.

Greg Williams as HC the defense under DC Jerry Gray was the killer being 27 in points allowed and 15 in yards allowed. The Offense was 11th in both points and yards with Kevin Gilbride as the OC. As someone else pointed out they were -12 in takeaways that year which made them 28th in the league.

From what I remember about that offense with Bledsoe at QB was the Bills would own the weaker teams and literally dominated them. But the teams with a good pass rush that would manage to rattle Bledsoe and disrupt his rhythm would then have him seeing phantom sackers. Once that happened, and he never found his rhythm again he usually became a liability after that. They lost to the Patriots 2x and the Jets 2x, and beat the Dolphins 2x.

Two more wins would have given them the division.

They fixed the defense the following year to a degree but were still 31st in takeaways. They also didn't fix the QB problem by building a better O line