One Billion Dollars: Deal for Verizon Mobile to Stream Games

I have 2 big questions.

1. If the game is blacked out do we get it?

2. How much is my Verizon bill going to go up now that they have a $1B nut to pay for.

If I understand the interview and how NFL mobile has worked thus far, if the game is blacked out in your market, then it'll be blacked out there as well.

Your bill won't go up at all. I imagine the cost will be more than offset by the new subscribers to NFL mobile.

I subscribe to NFL Mobile and love it. You can watch live NFL network 24/7, as well as RedZone on Sundays. They also aired all the primetime games (including Thursday night games). EDIT: Which is great because I don't have cable.

You could also listen to any game live. So the big change here is that you can watch any game as well.

Here's what was a huge load of BS tho: if you are in (or in the vicinity of) the stadium during game time- NFL Mobile was blacked out! So I couldn't turn on RedZone immediately after the game in the parking lot while post tailgating/ waiting for traffic to thin out. It wouldn't come back on til you were either miles away or like nearly an hour after the game ended.

It used to be free and I think the are charging $10 a month for the full features. I'm pretty sure I'm paying $4.99 tho because I called and complained when they started charging for it, but I'm gonna have to check my bill. I think they only charge the fee during the season as well, if I'm not mistaken.

EDIT #2: So, I don't remember exactly how I worked this all out, but I don't pay extra for the premium features. I think maybe it's because I upgraded a second data plan on of the lines on my family plan- I'm not sure. I do have some subscription to a Verizon Video service but that is included for free in my plan.

If any of you have Verizon already, maybe just download the app and see what you get. It may already be included for no additional cost. I guess the $10/ month subscription fee to NFL Mobile is only if you don't already a plan that includes the video service or unlimited data.

Either way, I'd pay the $10 if I had to. I love away game Sundays where I've a got a game on the TV, TBD/twitter/fantasy updates on the laptop and iPad, and RedZone streaming on the phone. Surrounded by a bunch of brews, of course :beer: :beer:

:beer:

Edited by uncle flap

Does it stream games as they're happening? If that's the case, I don't care about paying an extra $10 a month onto another expense I'm already paying as opposed to spending a couple hundred to get Sunday Ticket since I'm living out of town.

Yeah it will. See my post above. They already streamed Sunday, Monday, and Thursday night games just fine, as well as NFL RedZone. And whatever is on NFL Network is streaming 24/7 as well.

More on the stadium blackout:

NFL Mobile is exclusive to Verizon Wireless and provides football fans with unprecedented information and access to the NFL® (National Football League) via a downloadable application on select devices over the nation's largest 3G network.

NFL mobile streaming video is not available in and around the stadiums where games are taking place.

• Live Streaming Video, NFL App V CAST Video, NFL Network and RedZone is blocked on the device at the stadium at which any game is being played. This includes a one mile radius of that stadium.
  • Video Block starts one hour before kickoff and lasts for five hours.
  • Users are able to access the basic features of NFL Mobile, including streaming audio, scores and news.
  • Users are able to access Video Features through the use of Wi-Fi is a Wi-Fi network that supports video is available.

The NFL Mobile application may block certain games according to NFL (National Football League) policy on blackout restrictions. This typically occurs when a game is not sold out and would be only relevant to the local market where the game is being played.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/342542

I have 2 big questions.

2. How much is my Verizon bill going to go up now that they have a $1B nut to pay for.

Didn't cost them a dime AS THEY HAVE TURNED OVER YOUR PHONE RECORDS TO THE GOVERMENT !

Will the NSA get lists of the games we watch?

No, they will already know what games you'll watch before you actually do.

Didn't cost them a dime AS THEY HAVE TURNED OVER YOUR PHONE RECORDS TO THE GOVERMENT !

Let's keep the politics out of this thread please. If you want to discuss that, there already is another thread to post in....

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/158804-the-feds-are-collecting-all-verizon-phone-call-records/

This seems to suggest you get only games in your market? If so, doesn't really help us out of towners, right?

Damn you're right I just looked over their press release: http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/04/nfl-verizon-wireless-agrement-will-add-sunday-afternoon-streami/

Still worth it for the RedZone IMO. I live in Buffalo and have season tickets so doesn't change things for me anyway.

I have 2 big questions.

I imagine they feel more people would subscribe to NFL Mobile which would help off set the costs. They also will be making the rest back and maybe a profit as people's data usage will skyrocket and they can get fees from it. Throw in the draw to get new customers and I think Verizon shouldn't be trying to get other customers to pay for it. Hopefully... as I am a Verizon customer.

And for those thinking about getting NFL Mobile its a good app. But keep in mind the data it uses is crazy esp if you steam video. But keep in mind that its only really useful if you work on Sunday's or can't watch the games on TV. I had it for free when I renewed my contract. I used it when I had work and it was good but if I had off Sunday's I couldn't imagine using the app that much.

I just realized something.

I think it's been brought up before. Enriching the fan experience - you will be able to watch the games at the games on your phone. Somehow twine this in with some extra channels, maybe a mic so you can listen to a few players ... Verizon might be on the verge of this.

I just realized something.

I think it's been brought up before. Enriching the fan experience - you will be able to watch the games at the games on your phone. Somehow twine this in with some extra channels, maybe a mic so you can listen to a few players ... Verizon might be on the verge of this.

They had something similar to the concept you're talking about....

Fanvision

I got one because I'm in the club seats, but quite frankly it was more of a distraction in my opinion.