The Feds are collecting all Verizon Phone Call Records

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the bottom line is ... they're going to have to show us the bacon on this one. 7 years? Show us some bacon...classified or not they need to declassify it and tell us specifically how this has been successful. They can do that or explain specifically what it is they get....

If it is deidentified markers matched up to numbers, mined to fine some patter, then identified for those that pass the pattern, then analyzed and possibly get a warrant for it...I think (contrary to what a lot of us like to say) most Americans would be ok with this PROVIDED that they could certify those numbers that become identified (after passing a pattern) are very low AND that there are a number of terrorist activities that have been thwarted...

But the bottom line is we can't continue indefinitely condoning this without declassified information that allows us to consider it intelligently...

This is freaking funny as hell...a letter to Verizon customers from President Obama.

http://www.newyorker...-customers.html

Today, President Obama issued the following letter to all Verizon customers:

Dear Verizon Customers,

Yesterday it came to light that the National Security Agency has been collecting millions of phone records from you each and every day. Since that news was released, many of you have called the White House with questions and concerns about this new program. To save my time and yours, here are answers to three of the F.A.Q.s (Frequently Asked Questions) we’ve been hearing from you:

1. Will I be charged extra for this service? I’m happy to say that the answer is no. While the harvesting and surveillance of your domestic phone calls were not a part of your original Verizon service contract, the National Security Agency is providing this service entirely free of charge.

2. If I add a phone to my account, will those calls also be monitored?

Once again, the answer is good news. If you want to add a child or any other family member to your Verizon account, their phone calls—whom they called, when, and the duration of the call—will all be monitored by the United States government, at no additional cost.

3. Can the National Security Agency help me understand my Verizon bill?

Unfortunately, no. The National Security Agency has tried, but failed, to understand Verizon’s bills. Please call Verizon customer service and follow the series of electronic prompts.

I hope I’ve helped clear up some of the confusion about this exciting new program. But if you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to call the White House. Joe Biden is standing by.

God bless America

President Obama

To those who are just coming to the realization that they live in a surveillance state that would have turned the old KGB green with envy, I say welcome to the party. The NSA Utah data center will start off with 5 zettabytes of memory expanding to yottabytes in the near future, 5 zettabytes is about 700 gigabytes of information for every human being in the world.

also

there are no free markets

we have a two tier legal system

our representative government just represents their big donners

protest will be allowed, effective protest will not

Many may already be aware of this, but because I think it's important and I have not seen a link to info about the Utah data center posted in this thread:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/

No offense Jack, this is exactly why we have problems like the BS the gov't is pulling:

"Let's keep the politics out of this thread please. If you want to discuss that, there already is another thread to post in....

http://forums.twobil...e-call-records/"

We are too damn apathetic and keep pigeonholing the thorny issues away so as not to offend the sensitive types. We create our own problems 9 out of 10 times. The gov't knows this, Verizon knows this... We keep marching on in the name of keeping things neat and tidy. A guy like Ben Franklin is rolling over in our grave @ what we have become!

FWIW... I will keep my comments out of the NFL's fan experience and keep them here @ PPP. It takes two to tango and the NFL is nowhere to be heard about their deal and the crap the gov't is pulling?

Sure Bush=Bad (had to get that in there :-P) BUT @ least the libs aren't falling into lock step like the cons do with their person. I spoke out then, I speak out now... What else is there to do? Bleed into TSW where jboyst already tried to do (and got beat down for it)?

To those who are just coming to the realization that they live in a surveillance state that would have turned the old KGB green with envy, I say welcome to the party. The NSA Utah data center will start off with 5 zettabytes of memory expanding to yottabytes in the near future, 5 zettabytes is about 700 gigabytes of information for every human being in the world.

also

there are no free markets

we have a two tier legal system

our representative government just represents their big donners

protest will be allowed, effective protest will not

That's great news!!! I no longer have to back up my own system!!! I can now just contact the NSA and ask them to restore my data!!!

What's a yottabyte? Is that something The Jedi Council should be worried about? ;-)

Anyway... We have Verizon as a family... Well 3/4 of the family that is... Son is still on Cricket... I am switching him over to Verizon ASAP to find out what the punk is up to! Maybe the gov't can parent for me. Hey it works for a whole bunch of others! ;-)

FROM THE OBAMA TRANSITION ETHICS AGENDA:

Often the best source of information about waste, fraud, and abuse in government is an existing government employee committed to public integrity and willing to speak out. Such acts of courage and patriotism, which can sometimes save lives and often save taxpayer dollars, should be encouraged rather than stifled.
We need to empower federal employees as watchdogs of wrongdoing and partners in performance
. Barack Obama will strengthen whistleblower laws to protect federal workers who expose waste, fraud, and abuse of authority in government. Obama will ensure that federal agencies expedite the process for reviewing whistleblower claims and whistleblowers have full access to courts and due process.

Wanna bet they feel differently today?

Of course, the next item was a promise for “an exhaustive line-by-line review of the federal budget,” so, you know . . . . . . . . . .

http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/170451/

This guy has gonads, and is doing what he feels is right for the country.

The British newspaper has identified the source as 29-year-old Edward Snowden, who worked for defense contractor Booz Allen Hamilton and was a former technical assistant for the CIA.

The Washington Post followed the Guardian announcement by saying Snowden was the source for its surveillance stories that followed.

Snowden told The Post from Hong Kong, where he has been staying, that he now intends to ask for asylum from "any countries that believe in free speech and oppose the victimization of global privacy.”

Hong Kong, part of China, which would probably like to keep him there and learn everything he knows, than allow him to leave.

So.... are you calling him a traitor instead of a whistleblower?

And "everything he knows" huh? You really think the Chinese need pointers on how to eavesdrop on and suppress it's people?