Syracuse is back to #1 snowiest city in US. Buffalo not even top ten.

bbb

I actually do like shoveling (well, snowblowing), and love that news report. It's been like that here about 4 times that I remember, with it that high.........I think I just never grew up because like those kids in that report, I always want it to stick around (well, not when it's that high and you can't put it anywhere)

I liked shoveling also, well, maybe not the act of shoveling, but have a clear driveway and sidewalk. I'd clear the entire driveway, side to side and entire length. And I would do the width of the sidewalk, not a shovels width. Meanwhile, the neighbors directly across the street would just drive over the snow into their driveway, and wonder why they had such a hard time getting in and out of their driveway.

Yeah, and I'm a walker, so I make sure my sidewalks are clean - and then get pissed when other people don't do it or just pay a kid to do it.............And, then I have to walk in the street. I try to keep an even pace going and then there's always one ahole on the block who didn't do it.

I liked shoveling also, well, maybe not the act of shoveling, but have a clear driveway and sidewalk. I'd clear the entire driveway, side to side and entire length. And I would do the width of the sidewalk, not a shovels width. Meanwhile, the neighbors directly across the street would just drive over the snow into their driveway, and wonder why they had such a hard time getting in and out of their driveway.

I discovered the joys of that lever on floor marked 4-hi long ago.

in case anyone cares....i hate snow....i hate shoveling snow...i hate skiing in snow...i simply hate snow

I am the opposite. I would rather shovel for 10 hours than mow for 1! Always amazes me the people who are fanatical about their lawn, which serves no practical purpose, yet lazy about clearing the snow for practical reasons!

in case anyone cares....i hate snow....i hate shoveling snow...i hate skiing in snow...i simply hate snow

What if you had to shovel your way to a cold six pack of beer and a beautiful woman? As the question goes ... Would ya?

No one ever asks football draft picks how they feel about playing in the snow in Denver or Green Bay. :angry:

PTR

I don't get that. Denver will have those big snowstorms in October (we've had one ever) and nobody ever talks about the snow there being a negative.

I don't get that. Denver will have those big snowstorms in October (we've had one ever) and nobody ever talks about the snow there being a negative.

Because: "God giveth and God TAKETH" a little better in Denver, FWIW. WNY/BFLO still blows in the TAKETH department than most major cities. Really. BFLO, Syracuse are huge snow making microclimates. Would you stick a team in say Ashtabula, Sault Ste. Marie, Watertown without a dome? Heck, even Syracuse needs a dome. IMO, that is why BFLO takes flak. Just clearing the bleachers is a certain activity, not a chance occurance. The potential is always huge for big, big snow that doesn't go away all that fast.

Kinda surprised that Cleveland didn't crack the top 10.

I grew up in Rochester and have been up and down the snowbelt a lot. I always told people that syracuse seemed to be the worst for snow; now I have proof!

CLEV is not really in a "snow belt"... Close... But the "belt" is more towards to Ashtabula-Erie-BFLO line alee of the lake.

South Bend (Notre Dame) is in more of a "snow belt." Like I said above... They wouldn't stick a team in Michigan City, Indiana or New Buffalo (I wonder why they named it that), MI.

Two years in a row in Buffalo & suburbs we got off easy. A lot of one inch or two inch snowfalls. My snowplow guy showed up once to plow maybe 4-5 inches of snow. From an upstairs window I can see the south towns getting pounded maybe ten miles away W/SW

. The winds this past year kept the snow right where it should be....in the snowbelt with all the skiers & snow bunnies.

Here is the GoldenSnowball award for highest snow fall in NYS http://goldensnowball.com/

Two years in a row in Buffalo & suburbs we got off easy. A lot of one inch or two inch snowfalls. My snowplow guy showed up once to plow maybe 4-5 inches of snow. From an upstairs window I can see the south towns getting pounded maybe ten miles away W/SW

. The winds this past year kept the snow right where it should be....in the snowbelt with all the skiers & snow bunnies.

Here is the GoldenSnowball award for highest snow fall in NYS http://goldensnowball.com/

That is interesting and telling... Even know Syracuse and the Tug Hill Plateau reigns as the top on averages by almost 20" more a season... BFLO holds the all time record by 7" more... Probably why it gets all the attention! IMO, the potential with the southwest to northeast fetch of Lake Erie has a great potential... @ other times it just shuts off totally. Where as Syracuse is the perenial champion, BFLO will reign with an occasional championship with a blow out score! Other times, they are just dead in the water... Kinda like our Bills and Sabres! LoL...

We lived in Ashtabula for 10 years and wore out shovels from all the snow removal during those years. One year it snowed on Halloween night and that snow stayed on the ground until May 1.

I concur. I made two separate points, which were unclear and seemed to suggest Cleveland is in the snow belt. I agree with you--I would not consider it in the belt. But I am surprised that it isn't nonetheless in this list.

I have been through the real snow belt many times in bad snow storms (through Erie in PA, and through Ashtabula area in Ohio--once on the way back from a blizzard in Syracuse after a Cuse bball game). In light of that, I have vowed never to willingly travel north of Erie in the winter again.

Yeah, those trips are brutal! Worst two trips for me was once going east on 90 out of Erie... Straight down the middle in what seemed like a foot of unplowed snow... The time I was really worried was in 2009 coming back from FLA to BFLO. Coming up 79 from Pittsburgh... It was brutal, we must of been driving right into the teeth of a snow squall/band coming off the lake. I was really nervous about going off the road and I knew we couldn't stop either... Seemed like a death crawl!