ESPN article ranks Marv Levy # 17

For all you Bills fans complaining that Marv didn't win a SB in four tries. Consider that there are still NFL teams that have never been to a super bowl. Just think, you could be a Browns fan :lol:

The Cleveland Browns... never been

The Detroit Lions...never been

The Jacksonville Jaguars....never been

The Houston Texans....never been

The Houston Oilers never made it until they became the Tennessee Titans, and they only made one appearance.

The Cincinnati Bengals, 2x no wins

The San Diego Chargers, once, no wins

The Minnesota Vikings, 4x, no wins

Arizona Cardinals once, no wins

The Philadelphia Eagles, 2x no wins

The Carolina Panthers, once, no wins

The Seattle Seahawks, once, no wins

Count your blessings for 4x Buffalo Bills Super Bowl appearances. It would have been great to have just one win, but then I don't think they would have gone to 4 straight.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all you Bills fans complaining that Marv didn't win a SB in four tries. Consider that there are still NFL teams that have never been to a super bowl. Just think, you could be a Browns fan :lol:

The Houston Oilers never made it until they became the Tennessee Titans, and they only made one appearance.

Count your blessings for 4x Buffalo Bills Super Bowl appearances. It would have been great to have just one win, but then I don't think they would have gone to 4 straight.

in all fairness, were not having a conversation about a Browns, Jags, Texans, or Lions head coach being great and in the HOF here.

I don't think there's a HC for the Seahawks, Panthers, Chargers or Bengals in there either.

Just throwing a wrench I to your argument. But nobody really agrees with me here anyway so what do I care.

The reason why Marv Levy is in the HOF is because the people who selected him to be in the HOF are former coaches. Former coaches that know that Levy had a NFL team full of very talented players. But they were very selfish and undisciplined.

Had Andre Reed made the catches that he was supposed to in the first half of Super Bowl XXV the Bills would have won by something like 37-20.

Those former coaches who put Marv in the HOF finally gave him the ring that he earned and deserved. F the rest of the team.

Marv is a vegetarian.

Being Jewish might influence his choice of pork, as well.

There is no evidence to conclude that Levy would have been a great, or even a good GM, but a whole lot of proof does exist that he was, and would have been one of the worst ever.

I believe your comment about Levy being influential wrt the Bills drafts of the 90's. The strong emphasis on defensive backs has his signature all over it, and in those days it was less of a passing league. He did little to replace the stars who were getting on in years, instead focusing on DBs. The drafts between 1990 and 1994 were nothing short of ridiculous.

http://www.drafthist...php/teams/bills

In 2006, he devoted the draft primarily to defensive backs, and hired his clone, Dick Jauron. Levy's tenure as GM set this team back many years. I respect your opinion, but the facts speak for themselves.

So, if you're blaming Marv for picking the DBs of the early 90s, you are also giving him credit for picking Conlon, Thurman, etc. acquiring Biscuit, etc.

Yes. Doubt if the man would live one day in the woods alone. If you don't know any thing about a subject don't go offering your opinion on it.

Maybe his point was most of society evolve past the need for it.... Which cant be argued. People certainly do not hunt out of necessity with the proliferation of donestication and massive distribution channel.

in all fairness to the defensive back "heavy" drafting philosophy of Marv. When you've for Bruce, Hansen, Talley, Bennett, Paup, Speilman on the field in your front 7, is there really a need to draft more DLmen?

The stars seemed to age all at once. Marv did little to replace them; he preferred using his best resources on defensive backs.

Edited by Bill from NYC

The reason why Marv Levy is in the HOF is because the people who selected him to be in the HOF are former coaches. Former coaches that know that Levy had a NFL team full of very talented players. But they were very selfish and undisciplined.

Had Andre Reed made the catches that he was supposed to in the first half of Super Bowl XXV the Bills would have won by something like 37-20.

Those former coaches who put Marv in the HOF finally gave him the ring that he earned and deserved. F the rest of the team.

Yes.... Anyone who tries to minimize his success by saying he was surrounded by great players and coaches... Does not understand what the job of coaching is.

So, if you're blaming Marv for picking the DBs of the early 90s, you are also giving him credit for picking Conlon, Thurman, etc. acquiring Biscuit, etc.

Yes. I am sure that he was involved in the process. But as he gained stature, the drafts generally worsened. And when he had final say as GM, it was an utter disaster in both the draft and free agency.

Edited by Bill from NYC

I've said for years Marv doesn't deserve to be in the HOF. It was the GM and players, not the coach. If the coach was anything more than a grown mans babysitter we would have won at least 1.

I did a little study a few years ago and found that, of the few coaches in the HOF that don't have a SB Ri g, Marv had the worst w/l record I believe.

Can't quite remember though. Was a long time ago.

I have heard just about every player from those teams who have an opinion just the opposite of yours.

Great point. How soon people forget how great that era was. And the Titans should have never went to the one they did, the Bills should be 0-5 in Super Bowls, they probably would have got eaten alive by that Rams offense, but who knows.

I have heard just about every player from those teams who have an opinion just the opposite of yours.

Great point. How soon people forget how great that era was. And the Titans should have never went to the one they did, the Bills should be 0-5 in Super Bowls, they probably would have got eaten alive by that Rams offense, but who knows.

I think the Bills had the #1 ranked defense in the NFL in '99. Their biggest problem that year was running the foootball.

I actually have a hard time seeing Marv Levy ranked that high. To me Marv was more a manager of egos than a football tactician. He got a bunch of knuckleheads to play football well, but couldn't adjust what his knuckleheads were doing in Super Bowls.

PTR

I don't think there's a HC for the Seahawks, Panthers, Chargers or Bengals in there either.

Just throwing a wrench I to your argument. But nobody really agrees with me here anyway so what do I care.

Nobody really agrees with you here anyways?

I have to say I disagree with that statement.

Nobody really agrees with you here anyways?

I have to say I disagree with that statement.

dont you see, that by me saying that nobody here agrees with me, and you saying that you disagree, your proving me correct yet again.

I win.

Mrags- 1

SJBF- 0

in all fairness, were not having a conversation about a Browns, Jags, Texans, or Lions head coach being great and in the HOF here.

I am one of the those who disagrees.

First, Chuck Knox was a HC for the Seattle Seahawks HC, Rams, Bills.

First NFL head coach to win three different titles with three different teams. With the Rams, 5 straight NFC West Championships, 3 NFC Championship games. HC for 22 years in the NFL, and 7 division titles. Knox never found that elite QB, Bills, Seahawks or he would have won a SB IMO. I think he should be in the NFL HoF

I think the best Buffalo Bills HC in Marv Levy should be in the HoF, right there with his QB, DE, RB, and so should WR Andre Reed, Special Teams ace Steve Tasker.

Now if only the morons who vote for the HoF would take a hard look at the very best special teamer in the history of the NFL in Steve Tasker. 7x pro bowler, What other special teams player played 14 years in the NFL (12 with the Bills) or was the pro bowl MVP? Named first team all pro for 12 years by PFW

I am one of the those who disagrees.

First, Chuck Knox was a HC for the Seattle Seahawks HC, Rams, Bills.

First NFL head coach to win three different titles with three different teams. With the Rams, 5 straight NFC West Championships, 3 NFC Championship games. HC for 22 years in the NFL, and 7 division titles. Knox never found that elite QB, Bills, Seahawks or he would have won a SB IMO. I think he should be in the NFL HoF

I think the best Buffalo Bills HC in Marv Levy should be in the HoF, right there with his QB, DE, RB, and so should WR Andre Reed, Special Teams ace Steve Tasker.

Now if only the morons who vote for the HoF would take a hard look at the very best special teamer in the history of the NFL in Steve Tasker. 7x pro bowler, What other special teams player played 14 years in the NFL (12 with the Bills) or was the pro bowl MVP? Named first team all pro for 12 years by PFW

about the only thing I can agree with is Reed in the HOF.

I Didnt know if Knox was in or not but you say he's not. So that kind of proves my point a little.

And as good as Tasker was at STs, he doesn't deserve to be in the HOF. If he gets in, he will be the luckiest man on earth.

As Buffalo die hards, we love to see our guys make it and of course our opinions of players are skewed but Tasker wasn't really all that great. He tackled some guys and blocked a few kicks. He wasnt even a good return man. Someone like Devin Hester will make it in wayyyy before Tasker ever does.

about the only thing I can agree with is Reed in the HOF.

I Didnt know if Knox was in or not but you say he's not. So that kind of proves my point a little.

And as good as Tasker was at STs, he doesn't deserve to be in the HOF. If he gets in, he will be the luckiest man on earth.

As Buffalo die hards, we love to see our guys make it and of course our opinions of players are skewed but Tasker wasn't really all that great. He tackled some guys and blocked a few kicks. He wasnt even a good return man. Someone like Devin Hester will make it in wayyyy before Tasker ever does.

Hey man, I'm not the only one who thinks Tasker is the greatest special teamer ever as he was ranked #9 on the NFL networks top 10 players NOT in the HoF.

He went on the Bills wall of fame in 2007.Also, on Nov 22, 2011 Tasker was named one of the semifinalists in balloting for the Pro football hall of fame. So they are thinking of him, just not as much as many Bills fans like me would like.

At 5'9'' 183 lbs. If you ever watched him play as a "gunner" he was just unbelievable as they couldn't block him, almost always the first player to reach the return man. He was a feared hitter, and forced many fumbles.

Towards the end of his career with the Bills Tasker became a prime target for Jim Kelly at WR, and looked he very Wes Welker ish in doing so. Kind of a shame he was so valuable to special teams he didn't get a chance to play more WR early in his career.

They made a move about Eagles gunner Vince Papale called Invincible, and this guy only played 3 years. Granted he was a walkon who found fame, but he can't hold Taskers Jock strap.

Invincible was made because of the fan love for a walk on in the city of Brotherly Love.

Tasker was good. I don't disagree. He is/was the best ST to ever play the game. But as a gunner? He's not worthy of it IMO.

Of course, if he makes it, ill be pleased but extremely surprised. Ill be in Canton celebrating for sure.