Youthful Bills could be looking to get even younger.

What jumps out at you when perusing the Bills' current roster is just how young they are. They have no less than 65 players who are 25 yrs old or younger. Only FIVE players are 30

yrs old or older - Pears (30), T. Jackson (30), F. Jackson (32), Br. Scott (32), Lindell (36).

I would say that those players could all be in jeopardy of being waived simply because of their age. You can bet that the Bills will be considering it.

I especially think that Pears (Sanders and Young could replace him), T. Jackson (Tuel), Br. Scott (Dowtin, Pough, others), and Lindell (Hopkins) could all be waived.

With the release of those four players the Bills would probably be the youngest team in the league. That should tell you why they haven't signed any 30 something vet FAs so far and why they probably don't plan to. They want to bring this team up together.

The worst thing for pears would be IR or losing his starting role. I think Fred is needed and is safe. Scott can go either way, but they seem to like players like him that can play multiple positions, so he might have a shot. But I think Tavaris and Lindell won't make the final cut.

I'm all for those cuts. But bringing the team up together didn't work too well for the Sabres. I'd really like them to use the model that the Bills used in the late 80s. Have a young core but bring in your Art Still, Smerles, Devlin type veterans to provide solid direction. We don't seem to have those players here (with the exception of Fred Jax). One or two really solid, end of career players would be important to me if I was coach.

Sanders nor Young have done anything to warrant replacing Pears. Hairston will probably supplant him, however.

Except for Pears being terrible?

Pears F: He was awful before his injury shut him down. Will likely look for a replacement at right tackle.

What jumps out at you when perusing the Bills' current roster is just how young they are. They have no less than 65 players who are 25 yrs old or younger. Only FIVE players are 30

yrs old or older - Pears (30), T. Jackson (30), F. Jackson (32), Br. Scott (32), Lindell (36).

I would say that those players could all be in jeopardy of being waived simply because of their age. You can bet that the Bills will be considering it.

I especially think that Pears (Sanders and Young could replace him), T. Jackson (Tuel), Br. Scott (Dowtin, Pough, others), and Lindell (Hopkins) could all be waived.

With the release of those four players the Bills would probably be the youngest team in the league. That should tell you why they haven't signed any 30 something vet FAs so far and why they probably don't plan to. They want to bring this team up together.

i wouldn't think any of these players would be cut because of age. if anything, a few may be cut because they are not at the top of their position group. fred is still a good player who i think has a few great plays left. bryon scott offers versatility. lindell may have some stiff competition and t.jackson seems to have a steep hill to climb for the no. 2 qb job (i doubt they would keep him as no. 3). and if the youngsters pass pears by in ability i wouldn't be surprised to see him go.

and as far as not signing any vets over 30, i don't know as there were any of them on the market that they would consider to be of good value. we'll see what happens after camp cuts around the league.

And you're telling me that you're looking at Sanders and Young?

I know. I don't know who the answer IS, I guess it just isn't Pears, and this team isn't really going anywhere, so why not let someone else get some reps. or starts?

Any suggestions other than Pears?

Fred Jackson should be kept as long as financially possible. Imagine if they kept him fresh, and IF the offense is succesful playing fast and keeping defenses huffing and puffing, and if they have the lead in games, he would be a perfect back to pound tired defenders in the 4th quarter....without sacrificing too much speed

Hahaha For what? The Bills would be LUCKY to get a 7th rounder for him

Agreed. I love freddie, but there are a lot of runningbacks out of work that are looking. No team would waste a draftpick on a stop gap RB when there are several other options available on the market.

The bills wont cut fred though. he is the 2nd best RB on the team, and there really isn't a cheap/better option than him. I think we start to see decline in his play more and more, but I think he has a lot left to contribute. The days where he would carry the offense are over though. He is a contributer now, not a game changer.

'Cuz that youth movement unalloyed by veterans who know what it takes is such a good notion? :flirt:

Pears likely stays. He's OK not great, but he really stepped up last year. Hairston could replace him but just got hurt. Sanders and Young ain't shown nothing yet.

I think it's either Jackson or Kolb and so far money on Kolb, but let's see what it looks like when the hats start flying around.

Bryan Scott likely stays - they like his versatility although if I hear "43 is the Mike" one more time I'll hurl :sick:

Fred stays. Need more than 1 quality RB.

Lindell likely goes. 'S why they drafted a kicker.

The Bills are young enough already; there's no need for a youth movement. No one will be cut solely because of age. Players on your list may be cut because they get beat out and declining skills could have something to do with it.

If Freddy looks better this preseason than all the other backs (other than CJ), do you really think Marrone will say, "Freddy is awesome, but I prefer a younger back who's not nearly as talented"? That's insane. The best players will make the roster, regardless of birth dates.

The Bills are young enough already; there's no need for a youth movement. No one will be cut solely because of age. Players on your list may be cut because they get beat out and declining skills could have something to do with it.

If Freddy looks better this preseason than all the other backs (other than CJ), do you really think Marrone will say, "Freddy is awesome, but I prefer a younger back who's not nearly as talented"? That's insane. The best players will make the roster, regardless of birth dates.

I think the article is pointing out that out of the 6 players over 30 a few are likely to be cut thus making the team younger. I suspect at least 2 of those players and up to 4 could get cut. Its more so that a young team could be getting younger due to their older players being on the bubble as oppose to it being a direct movement.