Troupe...will he get a chance to show us this year?

Sorry if this topic has been hashed out but I did not see it on the message board when I scoured.

I'm excited to see what Troupe has to offer! Listening to Murph this morning, on the Bills website, he had Troupe in for an interview. It seems Troupe has not been healthy since his 2011 back surgery, though he's attempted to get back into it. On the show, he says he's completely healthy now and has been practicing since end of year last year. This is a kid, that has had some bad luck with his freak back injury, but the coaches saw something before the back problems happened and kept him on board. I wonder if what he showed prior to his injury, will show up on Sundays this season, or will it be the end of the line for him with the new regime? He sounds like he's working hard, and I hope he sticks and finally shows us what he's all about!

Thoughts?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is, I was never impressed by Troup even before he got hurt. Granted, he was a rookie, and rookie NTs don't always make much of an impact, but I didn't see anything on the field that made me think he was a guy with serious potential. I'm no scout, but I'm firmly putting Troup in the longshot/miracle category. I expect nothing, and if he produces something, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

The thing is, I was never impressed by Troup even before he got hurt. Granted, he was a rookie, and rookie NTs don't always make much of an impact, but I didn't see anything on the field that made me think he was a guy with serious potential. I'm no scout, but I'm firmly putting Troup in the longshot/miracle category. I expect nothing, and if he produces something, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Seems to be the feeling amongst the fans when this topic has come up in the past. We have a pretty good core on our line, he would likely be a rotational guy to start out if he sticks. The coaches saw something, but they have been labeled as inept, so I guess we'll find out.

Sorry if this topic has been hashed out but I did not see it on the message board when I scoured.

I'm excited to see what Troupe has to offer! Listening to Murph this morning, on the Bills website, he had Troupe in for an interview. It seems Troupe has not been healthy since his 2011 back surgery, though he's attempted to get back into it. On the show, he says he's completely healthy now and has been practicing since end of year last year. This is a kid, that has had some bad luck with his freak back injury, but the coaches saw something before the back problems happened and kept him on board. I wonder if what he showed prior to his injury, will show up on Sundays this season, or will it be the end of the line for him with the new regime? He sounds like he's working hard, and I hope he sticks and finally shows us what he's all about!

Thoughts?

I'm not sure there's really much to be excited about in Troup. Dareus is going to be in at DT on pretty much every play that he doesn't need a breather. Also, what would you expect Troup to say? The guy has had 17 tackles and 14 assists in 3 seasons. If he came out and said something along the lines of needing to continue to rehab from his countless injuries, I could see the Bills just cutting him outright. The Bills have 8 DT's on the roster right now. If they're seriously running mostly 3-4, they won't need 8. Some of those probably will play the DE spots too (Kyle Williams), but that still doesn't leave much room for Troup to get snaps, even if he does make the roster.

I'm not sure there's really much to be excited about in Troup. Dareus is going to be in at DT on pretty much every play that he doesn't need a breather. Also, what would you expect Troup to say? The guy has had 17 tackles and 14 assists in 3 seasons. If he came out and said something along the lines of needing to continue to rehab from his countless injuries, I could see the Bills just cutting him outright. The Bills have 8 DT's on the roster right now. If they're seriously running mostly 3-4, they won't need 8. Some of those probably will play the DE spots too (Kyle Williams), but that still doesn't leave much room for Troup to get snaps, even if he does make the roster.

I agree, it will be a tough hill to climb to even make the team. Setting aside the possible 'lip service' to keep his job, and looking at the possibility that he truly is healthy, what if he becomes a camp monster? Every year we see surprise cuts and surprise roster spots given to players we didn't see coming. It would be nice to see some kind of return from Troupe. Maybe wishful thinking, but I would love to see what he has if he's FINALLY healthy.

I believe if you searched the archives, general consensus on "the board" after that draft was anti-Troup. Then, the injury issues started before Troup had a chance to establish himself, so all of those who didn't like the pick began with the "bust" label. Troup (and Carrington, until recently) have been favorite targets of the "Buddy sucks" contingent.

It is absolutely true Troup has not done anything in the NFL, but his attitude has been good and if he's truly healthy we may finally see if he's worthy of a significant role with the team.

I neither loved nor hated the pick when it was made, but if a healthy Troup can't make this roster now it is what it is -- an unsuccessful 2nd round pick.

That has Ryan Denney written all over it. LOL.

Lol, I forgot about that guy...

I believe if you searched the archives, general consensus on "the board" after that draft was anti-Troup. Then, the injury issues started before Troup had a chance to establish himself, so all of those who didn't like the pick began with the "bust" label. Troup (and Carrington, until recently) have been favorite targets of the "Buddy sucks" contingent.

It is absolutely true Troup has not done anything in the NFL, but his attitude has been good and if he's truly healthy we may finally see if he's worthy of a significant role with the team.

I neither loved nor hated the pick when it was made, but if a healthy Troup can't make this roster now it is what it is -- an unsuccessful 2nd round pick.

Agree on all points

I was disgusted with that pick when it was made. They took this kid out of Central Florida in lieu of taking Terrence Cody out of Alabama. While some guys coming out of small programs go on to have success (ala Fred Jackson), it's not typical. I want the guys from national championship contenders that played against top level talent.

I was disgusted with that pick when it was made. They took this kid out of Central Florida in lieu of taking Terrence Cody out of Alabama. While some guys coming out of small programs go on to have success (ala Fred Jackson), it's not typical. I want the guys from national championship contenders that played against top level talent.

While that was a questionable call, its neither here nor there at this point. I'm hoping, the reason why they made this pick, comes out on Sundays now. Here's hoping!

Troupe will get a chance to show the coaches. Whether he makes it far enough to show us, the fans, is yet to be determined.

I was high on Cody in that draft as well. But oh well. Between Kyle and Dareus and Carrington and now Branch, it's not as crucial that Troupe stays, as it was when we first drafted him.

In Troup's defense, he didn't say anything along the lines of "I'm healthy" last year. In fact, he sounded really concerned about his back and regretful for having had the spinal fusion procedure. His comments were along the lines of "I'm trying to work through this and get healthy" I think. I still expect nothing out of him, but this isn't a Shawne Merriman situation, where every year we got to hear him say that he was finally healthy and in the best shape of his life. (Sorry to single out Shawne, because a lot of heavily-injured guys who hang on for a few years pull the same move, but I can't think of any others off the top of my head.)

Troupe will get a chance to show the coaches. Whether he makes it far enough to show us, the fans, is yet to be determined.

I was high on Cody in that draft as well. But oh well. Between Kyle and Dareus and Carrington and now Branch, it's not as crucial that Troupe stays, as it was when we first drafted him.

Right. Anything from Troup is an absolute bonus.

I forgot about Branch. The Bills did just sign him to a 1-year $3 million deal. Going through the list of players, Troup has to be pretty far down the charts in terms of defensive linemen that could see playing time. Guess we'll see. Am I missing anyone below?

Mario Williams

Marcel Dareus

Kyle Williams

Mark Anderson

Alex Carrington

Jay Ross

Jamie Blatnick

Aaron Tipoti (rookie)

Izaan Cross (rookie)

I did. Jarron Gilbert and Corbin Bryant.

I forgot about Branch. The Bills did just sign him to a 1-year $3 million deal. Going through the list of players, Troup has to be pretty far down the charts in terms of defensive linemen that could see playing time. Guess we'll see. Am I missing anyone below?

Mario Williams

Marcel Dareus

Kyle Williams

Mark Anderson

Alex Carrington

Jay Ross

Jamie Blatnick

Aaron Tipoti (rookie)

Izaan Cross (rookie)

I did. Jarron Gilbert and Corbin Bryant.

I dont think anyone is denying he has an uphill climb. You never know, he could be a beast, we just haven't had a chance to see it.

I was disgusted with that pick when it was made. They took this kid out of Central Florida in lieu of taking Terrence Cody out of Alabama.=

In fairness, Cody has been a disappointment.

He's been a rotational player who has show occasional flashes as a rookie, started some games in 2011 where he was underwhelming, and last year backed up the now-departed Ma'ake Kemoeatu.

Despite being healthy, Cody has started just 20 games over 3 seasons with only 3 starts last year.

Cody has been pencilled in as a starter this year but he hasn't really earned the job or played up to his draft spot.

Aside from Gronk and staying with the assumption that the Bills should have taken a 2nd round DT/NT in 2010, their man should have been Linval Joseph who in the last two seasons has started 31 games and tallied 6 sacks.

Joseph was taken 5 picks after Troup and 11 picks before Cody.

In fairness, Cody has been a disappointment.

He's been a rotational player who has show occasional flashes as a rookie, started some games in 2011 where he was underwhelming, and last year backed up the now-departed Ma'ake Kemoeatu.

Despite being healthy, Cody has started just 20 games over 3 seasons with only 3 starts last year.

Cody has been pencilled in as a starter this year but he hasn't really earned the job or played up to his draft spot.

Aside from Gronk and staying with the assumption that the Bills should have taken a 2nd round DT/NT in 2010, their man should have been Linval Joseph who in the last two seasons has started 31 games and tallied 6 sacks.

Joseph was taken 5 picks after Troup and 11 picks before Cody.

If you take the gift of hindsight, I agree with your statement. Troup has all of 2 starts none the less. At the time of the draft is what I'm talking about. Would 20 starts out of Cody been better than 2 out of Troup? I'll let the masses do the math there. Back then, neither Joseph nor Gronkowski were on my radar.

The thing is I like this guy. I like how he attempted to play last year in extreme pain and I'm rooting for him. If you saw him in preseason play his second year, you would have seen a player developing and showing promise. Then he had his back injury and now, no one thinks he has a chance except me and a few others, mostly on the Bill's staff, who love his passion and know we can use competition at the nose position.

Dareus will play a lot of DE in the 34. Troup will compete with Branch at Nose.

Terrence who???