Troupe...will he get a chance to show us this year?

Just about all of this is incorrect.

- Troup didn't injure his back until his rookie season

- He absolutely has a shot at making the Bills

- Dareus and Branch are going to play the nose when Buffalo uses a 3-man line; Kyle is going to play the DE role that Mike DeVito excelled in for Pettine's NYJ defense

He's had lingering back problems since college and now has had the same surgery that forced Johnny Know a small WR to retire so odds are Troup is never even going to play again. It was a huge mistake drafting him and finally time to move on

You do know that there is only one NT in a 3-4 defense right? If the Bills do primarily play a 3-4 Branch will most likely start at NT with Dareus back at DE.

DeVito is most likely a backup rotational guy

Edited by Max997

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He had back issues in college so this is nothing new and continues to prove how big a mistake it was drafting him in the second round

He had back issues in college?

Do you have a link for this?

I know he played all four years, started 3 games as a freshman before starting his last 3 years and didn't miss a game to injury.

I'm surprised to hear he had back issues at UCF.

Just about all of this is incorrect.

- Troup didn't injure his back until his rookie season

No he didn't

He's had lingering back problems since college

Max, you keep making this claim about Troup having back problems dating back to college.

Others are asking you about this.

I'm not saying you're wrong but for the second time, I'm asking you to document this claim.

Do you have a link?

Max, you keep making this claim about Troup having back problems dating back to college.

Others are asking you about this.

I'm not saying you're wrong but for the second time, I'm asking you to document this claim.

Do you have a link?

Agreed, responding with the same message that YOU knew he had back problems is not documenting the claim. Please back it up.

He's had lingering back problems since college and now has had the same surgery that forced Johnny Know a small WR to retire so odds are Troup is never even going to play again. It was a huge mistake drafting him and finally time to move on

No, he hasn't, and I challenge you to find any information that indicates that he had any kind of back problem before he entered the NFL.

In fact, here's a summary of scouting reports on him from 2010:

http://www.buffaloru...couting-reports

Not one mention of any type of injury...I'm very curious to see where you keep getting this from.

You do know that there is only one NT in a 3-4 defense right? If the Bills do primarily play a 3-4 Branch will most likely start at NT with Dareus back at DE.

You're under the impression that one guy is going to play the NT spot, every snap, the entire game? No. My understanding is that Dareus starts at NT and Branch spells him. Even so, yes, Troup still has a chance to make the team, since having more than 1 capable NT gives the team the flexibility to move Dareus and Branch around.

DeVito is most likely a backup rotational guy

You haven't watched much of him, have you? He's played over 600 snaps in each of the past 3 seasons, reaching almost 700 in 2010 according to PFF. Here's a few links:

http://itiswhatitis....an-mike-devito/

https://www.profootb...-new-york-jets/

EDIT: found this other one too...apparently DeVito played the 2nd most snaps of any Jets DLmen last year (59 percent):

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/21401/its-official-devito-is-gone

Edited by thebandit27

No, he hasn't, and I challenge you to find any information that indicates that he had any kind of back problem before he entered the NFL.

In fact, here's a summary of scouting reports on him from 2010:

http://www.buffaloru...couting-reports

Not one mention of any type of injury...I'm very curious to see where you keep getting this from.

You're under the impression that one guy is going to play the NT spot, every snap, the entire game? No. My understanding is that Dareus starts at NT and Branch spells him. Even so, yes, Troup still has a chance to make the team, since having more than 1 capable NT gives the team the flexibility to move Dareus and Branch around.

You haven't watched much of him, have you? He's played over 600 snaps in each of the past 3 seasons, reaching almost 700 in 2010 according to PFF. Here's a few links:

http://itiswhatitis....an-mike-devito/

https://www.profootb...-new-york-jets/

EDIT: found this other one too...apparently DeVito played the 2nd most snaps of any Jets DLmen last year (59 percent):

http://espn.go.com/b...-devito-is-gone

Good research. See Max, this is how you back your claims.

Oh. I don't recall it being a spinal fusion but if so I don't see him ever playing the game again.

Yep, Troup had spinal fusion.

I've had the same operation. The recovery period is long. I had my operation 6 months ago and my doc still doesn't want me running on hard surfaces, lifting heavy objects, or otherwise stressing my back. But eventually I'll be able to do all those things. Troup will be able to come back. I guess the question is whether or not he had enough talent for the NFL in the first place. I suppose we'll find out this year.

I've had the same operation. The recovery period is long. I had my operation 6 months ago and my doc still doesn't want me running on hard surfaces, lifting heavy objects, or otherwise stressing my back. But eventually I'll be able to do all those things. Troup will be able to come back. I guess the question is whether or not he had enough talent for the NFL in the first place. I suppose we'll find out this year.

Fusions are no joke. Here's to a quick recorvery for you! :thumbsup:

I recall that Troup had second guessed the fusion, probably because of the lengthy recovery time and patience needed.

While all along the NFL was passing him by. Gotta give the kid credit for staying focused on football and putting the work in.

Hondo i think you make great point !

I look forward to seeing you both back up and running at full speed soon :thumbsup:

I recall that Troup had second guessed the fusion, probably because of the lengthy recovery time and patience needed.

While all along the NFL was passing him by. Gotta give the kid credit for staying focused on football and putting the work in.

Hondo i think you make great point !

I look forward to seeing you both back up and running at full speed soon :thumbsup:

Fusions are no joke. Here's to a quick recorvery for you! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the support!

I used to run 40-50 miles per week including 20 mile Saturday runs on mountain trails. Now I'm a freakin' fat, sedentary couch potato! But the doc says that, although my range-of-motion will be somewhat limited, I'll otherwise be able to eventually return to a normal life.

My surgery was "transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion" (TLIF). I'm not sure what type of surgery Troup had other than it was spinal fusion. Bone material is placed between two vertebrae and after some time those two vertebrae will fuse together. Docs don't want you to do much until the fusion is solid. My doc says that at this point my fusion is like glass - seemingly solid but actually fragile. Titanium hardware holds the vertebrae in place until the bone graft sets.

Bears WR Johnny Knox had spine fusion surgery after getting hit by ex-Bill Anthony Hargrove. Knox never played again. I hope Troup has a better recovery. He seems to be doing well.

Thanks for the support!

I used to run 40-50 miles per week including 20 mile Saturday runs on mountain trails. Now I'm a freakin' fat, sedentary couch potato! But the doc says that, although my range-of-motion will be somewhat limited, I'll otherwise be able to eventually return to a normal life.

My surgery was "transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion" (TLIF). I'm not sure what type of surgery Troup had other than it was spinal fusion. Bone material is placed between two vertebrae and after some time those two vertebrae will fuse together. Docs don't want you to do much until the fusion is solid. My doc says that at this point my fusion is like glass - seemingly solid but actually fragile. Titanium hardware holds the vertebrae in place until the bone graft sets.

Bears WR Johnny Knox had spine fusion surgery after getting hit by ex-Bill Anthony Hargrove. Knox never played again. I hope Troup has a better recovery. He seems to be doing well.

No prob, fusions are nothing to sneeze at. Major surgery. The issue with fusions is that it makes that part of the spine rigid and puts pressure on the subesequent sections. That can cause problems in the future. I hope to never have to undergo one, but If I do I hope I'll have to courage to do it just as you and troop had.

Good stuff and good luck to you. It's a place I don't want to go based on what I've read on it. I will be stunned if he makes it back. I read something like 70% of people NEVER return to work. I will try anything to avoid this surgery but give you full credit for doing it and sounds like you are going to be one of the ones that make it back. I know that P/T doesn't do much.

I just hope for his sake that Troup finally gets to shed that "e" at the end of his name that TSW has been attributing to him. It's been nagging him for years and he should just have it removed.

I agree.

It could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Being drafted in the second round, he has enough of a burden without having to lug that extra vowel around.

I just hope for his sake that Troup finally gets to shed that "e" at the end of his name that TSW has been attributing to him. It's been nagging him for years and he should just have it removed.

Just makes him stronger in the end. His first name has occasionally burdened him too :bag:

Just makes him stronger in the end. His first name has occasionally burdened him too :bag:

Can I uh, borrow that paper bag...I just can't deal with the embarrasment of having added an "e" at the end of the name Troup in the thread subject line. Will you guys forgive me? :bag:

Edited by HamSandwhich