4 Wide

I'd really love to see the Bills employ the four-wide/1RB set with this personnel Buddy and co have provided, on a regular basis. Just thinking about the great mix of size, speed, and athleticism this line up possesses has me feeling giddy.

Rogers, Johnson, Woods, Goodwin and CJ will give defenses a migraine. If you remove SJ for TJ on some downs there won't be a secondary in the league that can run with them. Send TJ and Goodwin deep and let Woods, Spiller and SJ/Rogers tear them apart underneath.

Teams will have to remain in their dime or nickel packages, too. Which means we can run running plays out of this formation. CJ won't see as many 8 or 9 men in the box. It can be a mismatch nightmare.

On top of all that EJ can run. Defenders will have to keep an eye on the backfield allowing receivers to get wide open.

I love the potential of this offense!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually a spread with a tight end (K-Gun anyone?) would be real nice.

Because of Gragg's size and speed they could still force teams into dime packages and then run the ball with the tight end in there.

The video I saw of Gragg showed (besides being blazingly fast) that while he's not an extra offensive tackle, he's more than a match for linebackers and defensive backs as a run blocker.

It's gonna be nice to have a tight end who can run like a wide receiver but block in the run game much more effectively than a wide receiver.

I would love to see all of this, but I think removing Stevie from the field for anything is absolutely ridiculous. In any way shape or form. I would never in a million years remove Stevie from the field for anyone else on this team. He has the ability to get open every single play, short yardage especially. So if your talking about Woods, Rogers, and CJ running short, then I'd rather have SJ in there than one of the unproven rookies.

Actually a spread with a tight end (K-Gun anyone?) would be real nice.

Because of Gragg's size and speed they could still force teams into dime packages and then run the ball with the tight end in there.

The video I saw of Gragg showed (besides being blazingly fast) that while he's not an extra offensive tackle, he's more than a match for linebackers and defensive backs as a run blocker.

It's gonna be nice to have a tight end who can run like a wide receiver but block in the run game much more effectively than a wide receiver.

Love the Idea, but we need a stud TE to make it work. Hope it works out. I'd love to see us run a high tempo potent offense!

I would love to see all of this, but I think removing Stevie from the field for anything is absolutely ridiculous. In any way shape or form. I would never in a million years remove Stevie from the field for anyone else on this team. He has the ability to get open every single play, short yardage especially. So if your talking about Woods, Rogers, and CJ running short, then I'd rather have SJ in there than one of the unproven rookies.

Yeah I didn't even read that part. I was focusing on the fact that the OP didn't reference an athletic tight end which is what all NFL teams covet these days.

In all the big situations, Stevie has to be out there.

I will say though that I hope the Bills will develop enough wide receiver talent that they can substitute and platoon more than they have in the past to keep guys fresh.

Getting open is one thing, catching the ball when open is another...

I'd really love to see the Bills employ the four-wide/1RB set with this personnel Buddy and co have provided, on a regular basis. Just thinking about the great mix of size, speed, and athleticism this line up possesses has me feeling giddy.

Rogers, Johnson, Woods, Goodwin and CJ will give defenses a migraine. If you remove SJ for TJ on some downs there won't be a secondary in the league that can run with them. Send TJ and Goodwin deep and let Woods, Spiller and SJ/Rogers tear them apart underneath.

Teams will have to remain in their dime or nickel packages, too. Which means we can run running plays out of this formation. CJ won't see as many 8 or 9 men in the box. It can be a mismatch nightmare.

On top of all that EJ can run. Defenders will have to keep an eye on the backfield allowing receivers to get wide open.

I love the potential of this offense!

The defense should be exciting as well! If they can get Mario off the field on passing downs and get Justin Rogers out there the speed will be ridiculous.

I guess you missed that. In no way did I suggest Stevie lose his spot, but he will need a rest from time to time.

No doubt Hackett and Marrone are thinking the same thing. Besides the aforementioned Rogers, Woods, Graham, Goodwin, and CJ, we also have Dickerson and Easley who run about a 4.4. The slowest guy on our roster of offensive weapons is Johnson, I think. That is NUTS.

I have to believe their plan will be exactly as you implied - make the defense defend the long ball, the intermediate, and the run game, while respecting the screen and the option. That is what they refer to when they say "dictate to the defense" - and, the defense will just about have to stay in a Nickel or Dime for most of the time, as we'll be running the NO-HUDDLE a lot. The biggest weakness our offense will have is pressure defenses who can get to the QB early. If our O-line plays good, this offense will be shredding teams.

Spread is the way to go with our team. But will only work if we have a QB that can hit a deep throw once in a while.

I think we finally have that. It's been a long time since we can say that, because Trent and Fitz were both limited as far as arm strength goes. Our playbook is completely open now. No longer are we restricted in what we do. 20 yard outs? No problem. 60 yard bombs? No problem. Deep crossing patterns? No problem. It really is an exciting time to be a Bills fan.

We have the raw talent. It's now up to the coaches to get the most out of them. EJ will put in the work. I believed him when he said he will put in 13 hour days for whomever team that drafts him.

Edited by NoJustice

Spread is the way to go with our team. But will only work if we have a QB that can hit a deep throw once in a while.

With some of the deep bombs we've seen from Manuel and Kolb, that seems a lot more likely this year. Of course, you need to get the timing down, but there's no solution for that other than to practice, practice, practice.

With some of the deep bombs we've seen from Manuel and Kolb, that seems a lot more likely this year. Of course, you need to get the timing down, but there's no solution for that other than to practice, practice, practice.

Just having the ability to hit guys deep will force the defenses to play us differently - not to mention having more capable guys running those deep routes! Remember how many yards per run Spiller had last year? That was in an offense that defenses DIDN'T WORRY ABOUT being beat deep in. Spiller and Jackson might be the biggest winners with this draft and FA period - those guys should put up even better numbers this year than they've done in recent years - THAT is SCARY!