Justice Dept. Secretly Grabs AP Phone Records

Gotta admit, with this administration, every week begins like a new box of Cracker Jacks.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Justice Department secretly obtained two months of telephone records of reporters and editors for The Associated Press in what the news cooperative's top executive called a "massive and unprecedented intrusion" into how news organizations gather the news.

The records obtained by the Justice Department listed incoming and outgoing calls, and the duration of each call, for the work and personal phone numbers of individual reporters, general AP office numbers in New York, Washington and Hartford, Conn., and the main number for AP reporters in the House of Representatives press gallery, according to attorneys for the AP.

In all, the government seized those records for more than 20 separate telephone lines assigned to AP and its journalists in April and May of 2012. The exact number of journalists who used the phone lines during that period is unknown but more than 100 journalists work in the offices whose phone records were targeted on a wide array of stories about government and other matters.

http://bigstory.ap.o...e-records-probe

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it include John Wawrow's phone calls to his Buffalo Bills's inside sources?

Yes, and also many many Jim's Steakout receipts.

When something like this happens, I rely on the comments section at HuffPost to gain perspective, and it appears this is all okay because, uhhhh, Patriot Act.

So, uhhh, false alarm everyone.

http://www.huffingto..._n_3268569.html

How funny is it that these clowns, who were all howling when the Patriot Act was passed, and were all cheering when Micheal Moore said "there is no terrorist threat", suddenly go all Neo-con when their Dear Leader goes after a newspaper due to a leak?

Is the AP a terrorist organization now?

Well, wawrow does come here and attempt to terrorize us from time to time. :lol: His failure is epic and hilarious though.

Yes, and also many many Jim's Steakout receipts.

How funny is it that these clowns, who were all howling when the Patriot Act was passed, and were all cheering when Micheal Moore said "there is no terrorist threat", suddenly go all Neo-con when their Dear Leader goes after a newspaper due to a leak?

Is the AP a terrorist organization now?

Well, wawrow does come here and attempt to terrorize us from time to time. :lol: His failure is epic and hilarious though.

somehow i don't see how you can regard my forays here as epic failures simply because you have a different point of view. oddly enough, i disagree with many of your point yet somehow find it in myself to resist rating your posts.

guess i fail, then, at being myopic.

jw

somehow i don't see how you can regard my forays here as epic failures simply because you have a different point of view. oddly enough, i disagree with many of your point yet somehow find it in myself to resist rating your posts.

jw

Is one of the prerequisites to being an AP writer a lack of humor?

jw

Maybe he's judging capitalization...

Interesting story now making the rounds. Someone is in a boatload of trouble.

Nancy Pelosi blames the failed policies of the Bush Administration...

jw

But, I don't regard them as epic failures simply because you have a different point of view.

I regard them as epic failures in part because you typically base them on opinion masquerading as fact, or, as you did here, based on a false assumption.

Or, they are just hilariously absurd. But, given all of this? Lighten up Francis, I'm just goofing on you. Or, did I make a false assumption, and you are actually here to terrorize us, thereby making the Justice Department seizure 100% legal?

Also, got any inside info on exactly how the Buddy thing went down? (Regardless of all his PPP nonsense, wawrow is no joke when it comes to football)

Edited by OCinBuffalo

But, I don't regard them as epic failures simply because you have a different point of view.

I regard them as epic failures in part because you typically base them on opinion masquerading as fact, or, as you did here, based on a false assumption.

Or, they are just hilariously absurd. But, given all of this? Lighten up Francis, I'm just goofing on you. Or, did I make a false assumption, and you are actually here to terrorize us, thereby making the Justice Department seizure 100% legal?

Also, got any inside info on exactly how the Buddy thing went down? (Regardless of all his PPP nonsense, wawrow is no joke when it comes to football)

I agree, in some areas Wawrow has his schit together. It's just that it's not in his colon. Humor John, humor.

Commie fight.

Professor commies like Holder are now harassing hippy commies like the reporters at the AP. This puts the hippy commies in a bind as they depend on the professor commies to spoon feed them their work. I wonder which hippy commie stepped out of line and how they did. The part I find funny is that the offending hippy commie probably doesn't even remember what he did wrong due to short term memory loss from smoking too much pot.

Make no mistake, this was all about the DOJ/W.H intimidating investigative reporters and whistleblowers.

Remember when everyone complained that the Bush administration was hostile and oppressive towards the press?

I don't remember them pulling this kind of ****.

Remember when everyone complained that the Bush administration was hostile and oppressive towards the press?

I don't remember them pulling this kind of ****.

This is above and beyond anything that the Bush administration ever did, in respect to this topic. I believe just about any journalist would agree with this.

I always said that as soon as Obama's out of office, the rumblings of mass corruption in his administration would begin. Looks like we don't have to wait that long.

This administration is doing their best to keep their tabs on anyone that could potential harm it. That's why they selectively cherry-pick which leaks they go after.

You leak a story that makes Obama looks good, no problem. You leak a story that makes him look stupid/bad/corrupt, start running.

He's honestly made Nixon look like an amateur.