Another consumer question

BuffaloFan

Well Im getting a divorce and in order to keep things amicable I had to give up my olympus c730 ulta zoom digital camera.

Now is my chance to to take a serious look at the market. I need a camera that you can quickly work with, meaning I need to snap pics fast. not wait for it to do its thing.

What is everyone else using? Any recomendations?

I got each of my daughters Kodak Easy Shot CX7430s. My criteria: They were easy to use. They had enough megapixels to do some modest cropping and enlarging. They are fairly highly rated for picture quality. They have a modest optical zoom (3X). They took SD digital cards which are more reasonably priced than some other forms of flash memory. The battery life is better than with some digital cameras. The price wasn't too bad. I got refurbs for around $160 apiece with shipping.

The downside of the Kodak CX series cameras is that they don't have a lot of manual settings that are available to users. My daughters weren't going to be doing a lot of creative stuff with settings, so that wasn't an issue for me. I figured the simpler the better.

Now is my chance to to take a serious look at the market. I need a camera that you can quickly work with, meaning I need to snap pics fast. not wait for it  to do its thing.

200515[/snapback]

Pretty much all digital cameras are goig to have that wait time after you click. I don't know of any that dont. Just the sacrifice that must be made for going digital.

A longer wait time after you click can be partly ameliorated with the faster flash memory cards. Also, in general, the larger the memory card, the longer the pause before you can shoot again. I'd buy four 64meg cars instead of a 256 meg.

Also, in general, the larger the memory card, the longer the pause before you can shoot again. I'd buy four 64meg  cars instead of a 256 meg.

200903[/snapback]

Thats a useful little tidbit of info. Never knew that. Right now I have a 128mg card but was thinking of getting a 512. Maybe I wont now.

3,or 4 megapixels is all that you need.Buy a camera wih a reasonable OPTICAL zoom range(3X,or better) Do not pay any attention 'to digital zoom',It is a worthless feature.Before I upgraded to a professional digital SLR,I used a Nikon 5700.It had an 8X optical zoom,which was the 35mm equivilent of a 29-280 mm zoom lens,and 5 megapixels.I could make high quality 24"X36" enlargements from an *uncompressed* jpeg from this camera.Make you best deal,but I would go with a 'name' brand such as Nikon,or Canon.Lexmark,or HP tend to be crap.Sony makes a few digital cameras with *Zeiss* lenses.These cameras would have superior optical quality.I would stay away from the big NYC photo equipment dealers.If you have a problem,they will hang you out to dry.In the end,you get what you pay for.

Maybe check amazon.com for deals....

200927[/snapback]

wow- I was about to type the same post. Get the Zeiss lens and make sure you get 3x optical zoom-dont pay attention to digital zoon- dont get caught up in megapixels. The most important component of good quality pictures is the lens. Zeiss is a kick ass lens. Zeiss = Swiss lens, Sony = Chinese lens

I have a Kodak that has a rapid shutter setting. It will take like 6 pics in 6 secs or so. If you only want to take one pic, but want to take it at a precise time, for most camaras, if you hold the shutter down half way, that sets all your values. Then when you click it the rest of the way, will take the picture right away without the delay.

Thats a useful little tidbit of info. Never knew that. Right now I have a 128mg card but was thinking of getting a 512. Maybe I wont now.

200922[/snapback]

I think there's validity to this as well. I recent changed mine from a 256 to a 512 and it does seem to take a bit longer now to get ready for the next shot. Pisser...

Just get a couple more 128's and you'll be happier

I love my Panasonic FZ10. It has a big Leica lens (12x optical zoom) It's 35mm - 420mm, meaning moderately wide-angle to very telephoto.

It has a nice burst mode where it will take 5 pictures in rapid succession, then write them to the disk in the next second or two. It has a built in memory cache, so it does not make you wait for the card to take the next picture.

The price has come down to around $400 since there is a more recent model out there now.

The battery is great - - lasts about 2 hours if you use it non-stop, and charges in 90 minutes.

SD memory card.

Here's a link to the most comprehensive review page I've ever seen (just stumbled accross it). The guy is pretty critical, but is obviously waaay into his cameras. http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasoni...iew/index.shtml

I just replaced my 4(?) year old Sony DSC75 with the P73 and wow......its so much faster, the new memory stick pro is good and even the video is so much improved it doubles as a cam in a pinch with 640 x480 at 30 fps, something I could not find other digitals to be capable of. It turns on and is ready in about 1 sec and the picture is taken immediately upon hitting the button, BIG improvement over the old one. And its Sony. And, I can change lens to zoom or wide angle

Here's a link to the best site I've ever seen about digital cameras.

They're rated six ways come Sunday - ease of use, megapixels, $, consumer ratings, pro ratings, by brand. It's kept very current and they have links to various online stores so you can instantly find the best price for your little beauty once you've decided on which model to throw your coin at.

Digital Cameras

I have a Nikon CoolPix 4300 and my son has a 8700. They're both great.

Pretty much all digital cameras are goig to have that wait time after you click. I don't know of any that dont. Just the sacrifice that must be made for going digital.

200895[/snapback]

this isn't necessarily true. depending on the camera you can adjust the settings so that there isn't a wait time. i have a canon s30 and can set the preview time between shots from 0-4 seconds. when i set it to zero and turn off the lcd display, there is no wait time. it also has a feature to take multiple pictures at a time, up to 10 i believe. when this is set and the preview time is set to zero, i can take 10 digital shots in about 3 seconds.

oh yeah, not only are canon cameras (IMO) the best, there is a great forum for canon users that caters to photography enthusiasts. pretty much any detail, technique, or feature of canon cameras are discussed here. it's been an incredible resource. similar to the Stadium Wall!!!

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

Take a step up in the camera world.

The Nikon D-100 cannot be beat for the price (around a grand). It had F-mounted lenses, so you'll have to buy at least two, but you can get a real nice package for under $1,500 from a number of online camera stores.

Ther batteries last forever, the color is outstanding, the file size is huge, and the shutter speed is amazing.

I have two and love them both.

Take a step up in the camera world.

The Nikon D-100 cannot be beat for the price (around a grand). It had F-mounted lenses, so you'll have to buy at least two, but you can get a real nice package for under $1,500 from a number of online camera stores.

Ther batteries last forever, the color is outstanding, the file size is huge, and the shutter speed is amazing.

I have two and love them both.

201285[/snapback]

He's just gotten divorced. Do you seriously think he's going to be in the market for a thousand dollar camera?

BTW, I just checked the site Nanker recommended, and recognized it as one of the sites where I did research. The Kodak CX 7430 is their third ranked point and shoot digital, and the only one of the top three with an optical zoom. It is the 8th ranked 4 megapixel, and cheaper than any ranked ahead of it.

here is a excellent site for Camera Reviews

Digital Photography Review

A nice camera at low price is a Canon Powershot A85 a 4 mp digital camera , costs about $260.00 , a step up with more features and a excellent camera is the

Canon G6 a 7.1 MP cigital camera cost about $600.00.

A excellent Digital SLR camera is the Nikon D70 6 mp digital camera costs about $800

here is a excellent site for Camera Reviews

Digital Photography Review

A nice camera at low price is a Canon Powershot A85 a  4 mp  digital camera , costs about  $260.00 ,  a step up with more features and a excellent camera is the

Canon  G6 a 7.1 MP cigital camera cost about  $600.00.

A excellent Digital SLR camera  is the Nikon  D70 6 mp digital camera costs about $800

202391[/snapback]

i was just going to post that link myself. that's where i went before i bought my latest camera -- the canon powershot sd300. 4 mp, 3x optical zoom. the damn thing is tiny! i love it -- i can put it in my pocket and have a great camera anywhere i go. it's not for the "serious" photographer -- not a lot of manual settings. but there's enough for an amateur like me to play with. bought a high-speed 512 sd card to go with it. total cost approx. $400.