Does anyone here race cars?

mrags

Last weekend I attended a 15 lap shoot out at Dunn Tire Speedway in Lancaster. For a little extra money I was able to purchase an extra 5 laps and got a 4 lap ride along. I was driving one of the 500+ HP "late model" stock cars used in NASCAR. My instructor and spotter had nothing but good things to say about my ability to quickly learn everything I did in a short 15 minute briefing before they sent us out on the track. They also were extremely impressed with my driving and how quickly I picked things up while in the car and how little instructing I needed. They even awarded me with an extra 5 laps for free, a Rusty Wallace Racing hat and some firm handshakes as they said it was a pleasure spotting for the best driver of the weekend.

Needless to say, this stroked my ego quite a bit (my fiancé hates it now considering she can't stand my driving as it is).

I've always loved driving fast and always been a fan of NASCAR/stock car racing. Of course at the ripe age of 34 I may be a bit late coming to the party, but I'm very interested in pursuing racing more and more.

I know The sprint cup and nationwide series are not likely but I'd love to learn more about the sport. I'm wondering if anyone here races. Either for kicks, fun, hobby, or a living. It doesntatter what level or raceways you race, I'd love to pick your brain a bit.

Here's to hoping there's someone here that races.

Go Bills.

Edited by mrags

My only racing experience is trying to keep the little b@$tard in the right lane from speeding ahead of me when his/her lane ends!

There is an word for those drivers: merge weasels

A couple of years back, I was riding down the Kensington while my sister was driving... She had to merge right through the construction. She starts going all the way up the left lane to the head of the line, passing a ton of cars! I go ballistic and say: "What the heck you doing, it says merge over!" You know what see replies back to me? This: "They will let me in, I am a woman." WTF!! I lost all faith in humanity and it starts with my older, overbearing sister the merge weasel! :wallbash: :wallbash:

I've always loved driving fast and always been a fan of NASCAR/stock car racing. Of course at the ripe age of 34 I may be a bit late coming to the party, but I'm very interested in pursuing racing more and more.

As long as Mark Martin is driving, you're never too old.

<this is an automated response>

Please fix the subject line to "Does anybody hear race cars?"

Thank you.

Last weekend I attended a 15 lap shoot out at Dunn Tire Speedway in Lancaster. For a little extra money I was able to purchase an extra 5 laps and got a 4 lap ride along. I was driving one of the 500+ HP "late model" stock cars used in NASCAR. My instructor and spotter had nothing but good things to say about my ability to quickly learn everything I did in a short 15 minute briefing before they sent us out on the track. They also were extremely impressed with my driving and how quickly I picked things up while in the car and how little instructing I needed. They even awarded me with an extra 5 laps for free, a Rusty Wallace Racing hat and some firm handshakes as they said it was a pleasure spotting for the best driver of the weekend.

Needless to say, this stroked my ego quite a bit (my fiancé hates it now considering she can't stand my driving as it is).

I know The sprint cup and nationwide series are not likely but I'd love to learn more about the sport. I'm wondering if anyone here races. Either for kicks, fun, hobby, or a living. It doesntatter what level or raceways you race, I'd love to pick your brain a bit.

Go Bills.

Perfect gift for next Christmas...tell her to give you a 1 day training course. Many speedways offer them.

Go Bills.

That sounds awesome!

I have a pullied GT500 that I race but not the type of racing that most here would condone.

If you're in the DC area, Greenbelt Metro Kiss and Ride between 11 pm and 2 am on Friday nights or Lilypons in Frederick on Saturday nights. Even if you don't race, it's tons of fun to watch some light to lights, look at engines, talk **** about cars, and win some money. And most of the folks out there not driving boosted Civics and Ford Probes are 30-somethings like us.

Remember, racing began in the shadows - from bootleggers to light-to-lights.

If the Committee on Professional Discipline is reading this, I'm obviously referring to 'Need for Speed' for Playstation 3 and any mention of locations above are what the various atmospheres within the game remind me of.

To get in to racing you have to start young. And have a lot of money. Not to damper your Dreams but the local short track guys have $30,000 in the car alone just for stadium stock. Nascar Modified cars start at $50k. I have not done the driving experience hut very much want to. They offer it at Charlotte motor speedway.

To learn more about it just go to your short tracks on Saturday night

As long as Mark Martin is driving, you're never too old.

lol. I was just gonna add that Michael Waltrip raced at Talledega this past week also.

That sounds awesome!

I have a pullied GT500 that I race but not the type of racing that most here would condone.

If you're in the DC area, Greenbelt Metro Kiss and Ride between 11 pm and 2 am on Friday nights or Lilypons in Frederick on Saturday nights. Even if you don't race, it's tons of fun to watch some light to lights, look at engines, talk **** about cars, and win some money. And most of the folks out there not driving boosted Civics and Ford Probes are 30-somethings like us.

Remember, racing began in the shadows - from bootleggers to light-to-lights.

If the Committee on Professional Discipline is reading this, I'm obviously referring to 'Need for Speed' for Playstation 3 and any mention of locations above are what the various atmospheres within the game remind me of.

Me and a good buddy used to do that on Sheridan drive in the weekends here in Buffalo. He was really into it, I was just shotgun for the experience.

I love drag strip type racing with people. Back a few years ago when I have my 99' Mustang (which was a 6cylinder) I used to race everyone at every light I could. Day or night, I was gunning it EVERYtime. All I had modified to it was a Mac Exhaust and I was able to beat and stay with I modified GTs. People would get so pissed when they learned they got beat by a 6 cylinder. Then I'd throw in a little jab to make them more pissed and ask them if if was their bad driving or their crappy car. Was always a lot of fun. I sold the Stang. Drive Merc now that doesn't have the HP if like and there aren't many upgrades I can do. At least cheaply. So I will have to hold off on racing light to light for a little. But it's a 6speed manual so I still get that racing feel.

<this is an automated response>

Please fix the subject line to "Does anybody hear race cars?"

Thank you.

Perfect gift for next Christmas...tell her to give you a 1 day training course. Many speedways offer them.

thats how I got this racing experience. Was a Xmas gift a few years ago. I will be telling her that ill take another one every year possible. One of the best experiences I've ever had.

To get in to racing you have to start young. And have a lot of money. Not to damper your Dreams but the local short track guys have $30,000 in the car alone just for stadium stock. Nascar Modified cars start at $50k. I have not done the driving experience hut very much want to. They offer it at Charlotte motor speedway.

Thanks Jboyst.

I know it's expensive. But I've also read that people can get into it cheaply by basically renting cars and getting started that way. Of course that doesn't always work. Then there's sponsors which I'm sure I could get some together from local restaurants and places I've worked. But I know that would only put a small dent into a $10-15k car and another chunk of change for tires, flatbed, etc...

Do whatever you can to do the racing experiences bro. One of the best experiences I've ever had. Of you have the Rusty Wallace Raving experience that comes to your speedway, get passes on Groupon or SocialLife. That's how my Fiancé got them. Wasnt that expensive. I think I spent more on the additional 5 laps, insurance and ride along than she did the actual 15 lap shoot out package. Just be prepared to spend at least $200 on race day when you go if you have some add ons like I did.

Edited by mrags

Buddy of my BIL races karts. Has a ABSOLUTE BLAST. He even gets in the race in New Castle IN when some of the Indy pros get in on the action.

thats awesome. That's another thing I've heard. Karts is the way to really get started. Many will say that's because younger kids can get in them really young and race them, but many older racers still race Karts and dirt track racing.

My wife's done the driving experience at Daytona. Had a blast.

I guess racing starts this weekend at Lancaster.

I'd go down there and talk to people, get to know the crowd.

http://elegantbuildersracewaypark.com/drag-race-schedule/

I've read the first step for lots of guys is to work on a crew to really get familiar with the sport.

Holland is the other asphalt track in WNY. The others are dirt.

This Saturday there is an all divisions open practice at Holland.

http://www.hollandspeedway.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=35:scheduleinfo&Itemid=55&layout=default

And you probably already read this one:

http://www.automedia.com/So_You_Want_to_be_a_Racecar_Driver/pht20070501rc/1