More EJ love, from CBS Sports: good quotes

l< j

[standard disclaimers apply: didn't see it posted, so if it is already posted, get off my back, etc etc]

Clark Judge at CBS Sports talked to an anonymous offensive coordinator about the drafted QBs, and he had nice things to say about EJ (are we on a first name basis yet?). The other QBs discussed got much harsher evaluations. More evidence that we got our man (assuming he pans out, let's wait until they play a game before anointing him the next Jim Kelly, etc etc. Get off my back already.)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/22189998/manuel-in-position-to-flourish-more-than-any-other-qb-in-draft

kj

Good find. Interesting read.

All these QBs have flaws but EJ's seem the least extreme.

One scout said the difficulty in predicting the NFL success of college QBs is that none of them are NFL-ready. They all have things to learn so you have to guess who's going to learn them. But it seems EJ has the physical tools and a good attitude that will allow him to learn what he needs.

There's just too much made of the whole "will he learn to be an NFL QB". We already know he can run the read option. If Washington and Seattle can install that offense and be successful with it, and San Fran, then Buffalo could, too. I'm not saying they will or should. We know he has the ability to escape pressure, to make plays with his feet. We know he can make fairly accurate throws and he's not limited to throwing within 15 yards - like his predecessor. Hackett and Marrone will design an offense he can run - and with the talent we now have at WR, and the decent O-line, and Spiller and Jackson, EJ is going to be able to make a play here and there and at the very least keep us in games.

I expect he'll be able to do much more, and that he'll be considered in the same class as Kaepernick and Newton, but it's not like he's been drafted to go play in one specific offense that only the very smartest and the QB's who are best at reading the whole field can operate. This offense will SUIT HIM.

It's clear from all of these snippets that EJ is a leader, a hard worker, and has all of the physical tools. The big question for me is whether he can make quick decisions under pressure. Marrone's offense will require him to. I hope he can. If he can check off that box (and stay healthy and confident), he'll be successful. We really won't know until the bullets start flying I guess.

There's just too much made of the whole "will he learn to be an NFL QB". We already know he can run the read option. If Washington and Seattle can install that offense and be successful with it, and San Fran, then Buffalo could, too. I'm not saying they will or should. We know he has the ability to escape pressure, to make plays with his feet. We know he can make fairly accurate throws and he's not limited to throwing within 15 yards - like his predecessor. Hackett and Marrone will design an offense he can run - and with the talent we now have at WR, and the decent O-line, and Spiller and Jackson, EJ is going to be able to make a play here and there and at the very least keep us in games.

I expect he'll be able to do much more, and that he'll be considered in the same class as Kaepernick and Newton, but it's not like he's been drafted to go play in one specific offense that only the very smartest and the QB's who are best at reading the whole field can operate. This offense will SUIT HIM.

I've said it before, but read-option is the way to go with Manuel. The Bills already have the threat of the running game with Spiller, and with Manuel's arm and accuracy, they have the threat of the pass, both short and long ball. Throw-in a QB who can and will scramble on you and it's a triple-whammy.

I've said it before, but read-option is the way to go with Manuel. The Bills already have the threat of the running game with Spiller, and with Manuel's arm and accuracy, they have the threat of the pass, both short and long ball. Throw-in a QB who can and will scramble on you and it's a triple-whammy.

I just don't see Marrone installing much read-option. I think they have bigger and better plans for EJ.

I just don't see Marrone installing much read-option. I think they have bigger and better plans for EJ.

I don't know. The read-option took 3 rookies/rookie starters pretty far last year.

I would definitely like to see it. I'm personally in the camp of "sprinkle it in, rather than make your offense about it" but I would definitely like to see it, especially with out strength at RB. If you have to defend against the pass, CJ Spiller and an EJ Manuel simultaneously good things will happen for the Bills. My one concern is with what happened with RG3's injury at the end of last season.

I agree that RGIII is too small and I think Russel Wilson is in for the same fate ultimately. And I also don't want Manuel running a lot; just enough to keep defenses on-edge.

It wasn't all that long ago the wildcat was all the rage. Then the Ds figured out how to defend against it. Let's wait another year or two & see how successful the read-option is then. One reason the Bills selected EJ is because of his versatility &won't be stuck with a read-option only guy.

[standard disclaimers apply: didn't see it posted, so if it is already posted, get off my back, etc etc]

Clark Judge at CBS Sports talked to an anonymous offensive coordinator about the drafted QBs, and he had nice things to say about EJ (are we on a first name basis yet?). The other QBs discussed got much harsher evaluations. More evidence that we got our man (assuming he pans out, let's wait until they play a game before anointing him the next Jim Kelly, etc etc. Get off my back already.)

http://www.cbssports...her-qb-in-draft

kj

Screw CBS Sports and the media "experts" who know nothing about EJ Manuel.........wait, what? Oh....

Will somebody get me an updated script??!!

It wasn't all that long ago the wildcat was all the rage. Then the Ds figured out how to defend against it. Let's wait another year or two & see how successful the read-option is then.

The reason the wildcat went out of vogue is because there wasn't a single NFL team who had a guy running it that was a legitimate passing threat.

Therefore it was one-dimensional and defenses knew that the great majority of the time that it was gonna be a running play.

The read option is very similar to the wildcat but it typically employs a quarterback, not a running back or a specialty player.

I think the read option will continue to be a significant part of NFL offensive football for a long time however I agree that it's best when used sparingly.

How sparingly?

In 13 games (7 starts) last year Kaepernick ran the ball 63 times. He probably averaged about 6 rushes per 60 minutes.

As a 16 game starter, Russell Wilson ran the ball 94 times. That's just under 6 rushes per game.

As a 15 game starter, RG3 ran the ball 120 times. That's 8 times per game.

Draw your own conclusions.

But it seems EJ has the physical tools and a good attitude that will allow him to learn what he needs.

I keep hearing that...and I keep thinking back to how people said the same thing about Losman.

The reason the wildcat went out of vogue is because there wasn't a single NFL team who had a guy running it that was a legitimate passing threat.

Therefore it was one-dimensional and defenses knew that the great majority of the time that it was gonna be a running play.

The read option is very similar to the wildcat but it typically employs a quarterback, not a running back or a specialty player.

I think the read option will continue to be a significant part of NFL offensive football for a long time however I agree that it's best when used sparingly.

How sparingly?

In 13 games (7 starts) last year Kaepernick ran the ball 63 times. He probably averaged about 6 rushes per 60 minutes.

As a 16 game starter, Russell Wilson ran the ball 94 times. That's just under 6 rushes per game.

As a 15 game starter, RG3 ran the ball 120 times. That's 8 times per game.

Draw your own conclusions.

And RG3 paid a BIG price for it, too.

Great post

http://www.cbssports...her-qb-in-draft

kj

Here's Coach Marrone with Tim Brando nice...

Id say its very likely we are running the spread this year.

We drafted 2 WRs high, then signed a 1-2 rd talent who went undrafted, on top of the WR we added last year

and signed a few more undrafted WRs

and drafted a spread TE

And we already have CJ.

I see shotgun 4 wides all damned day