Justin Blackmon suspended - Sometimes the best moves are the non moves

Four games for substance abuse it appears. And it looks like he will forfeit $7m in guarantees, although if they keep him I assume he will still make that money. He was a guy a lot of people here, including myself, were interesting in. The Jags are a mess.

NFL suspended Jaguars WR Justin Blackmon four games for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

Blackmon has been arrested twice for drunk driving, but both offenses were settled before he signed his Jaguars contract. He was not suspended. It means he's committed a new violation. The Jags protected themselves against future transgressions in Blackmon's contract, writing in language that wiped away all his post-signing bonus ($7.11 million) guarantees if he were suspended. Blackmon will be eligible to return October 6 against the Rams. The Jags now have a massive hole opposite Cecil Shorts. Mohamed Massaquoi will likely be asked to step in while Jordan Shipley mans the slot.

Good point. I forgot I had him in FF. But still, not good.

I'm just saying, Blackmon underperformed almost all year, meanwhile Cecil Shorts was good for at least a couple big plays every game, even with Gabbert and his suspect O-Line.

This is why "drafting character guys", which so many of you talk down, is a good idea.

Interesting point.

I think the team took a risk and either misjudged the risk or did not handle the kid as well as they should have. Might part of the failure should be on the Jags FO too?

Buddy said recently about this semi derelict kid Da'rick , that he can play by our rules or he can play somewhere else.

Nix also said that when he spoke with him before the draft he told him as much.

TYTT I think we still have good character. look again at how many outstanding players we picked up in udfa. so many are team leaders or captains set records (albeit small schools ) etc.

Naw we are not turning into the Lions

Edited by 3rdand12

I think theres good character guys who made small, isolated mistakes and then there are lost causes. Vontaze Burfict vs. Blackmon.

yes but Bills really did break character this draft+ rogers. Imagine the discussion? Bills have recently said they graded him second round. Imagine waiting alll the way till udfa to get him.

I think theres good character guys who made small, isolated mistakes and then there are lost causes. Vontaze Burfict vs. Blackmon.

Sooo ummmm.... You realize the total of burficts resume was pretty bad, right? He's one strike from suspension in the drug program right now too, I believe.

Interesting point.

I think the team took a risk and either misjudged the risk or did not handle the kid as well as they should have. Might part of the failure should be on the Jags FO too?

Buddy said recently about this semi derelict kid Da'rick , that he can play by our rules or he can play somewhere else.

Nix also said that when he spoke with him before the draft he told him as much.

TYTT I think we still have good character. look again at how many outstanding players we picked up in udfa. so many are team leaders or captains set records (albeit small schools ) etc.

Naw we are not turning into the Lions

It's a lot easier to fella UDFA that than a top 5 pick

A lost cause is (or was) a guy like Charles Rogers/JaMarcus Russell. Burfict, like LaGarrette Blount, is on the precipice of being where Blackmon is now. Burfict is certainly not, as you put it, a "good character guy."

A lost cause is (or was) a guy like Charles Rogers/JaMarcus Russell. Burfict, like LaGarrette Blount, is on the precipice of being where Blackmon is now. Burfict is certainly not, as you put it, a "good character guy."

Maybe a bad example..but did I miss an incident with Burfict since hes been in the NFL?

We can trade them one of our new WRs, for next year's 1st, of course. In fact, I'd send them Stevie for it, which will probably end up being a top-10 pick.

I hope you realize how much dead money is tied into Stevie's contract. We shouldn't trade, and aren't trading, him.

Maybe a bad example..but did I miss an incident with Burfict since hes been in the NFL?

Nothing has happened, yet, but I disagree that Blount made "small isolated mistakes." We'll see what happens.

Sooo ummmm.... You realize the total of burficts resume was pretty bad, right? He's one strike from suspension in the drug program right now too, I believe.

It's a lot easier to fella UDFA that than a top 5 pick

damn straight, it is. But they musta sweated it a bit? or did they tell the kid " Bills was his One and only chance to be an NFL player". not that there is anything wrong with that, Because he sounds sincere now. Edited by 3rdand12

This is not the NFL of old.

how many players from the Bills SB would have been suspended?

Now i get what some of you are saying. But the only guy the Bills took who i would put in the 'questionable character' class is Rogers, and he is an UDFA. So to me he has learned a very important leason about making bad decisions. He went from a millionaire to a guy having to fight for his life to make a team. If that does not motivate him then nothing will and he will not be in the league for long. I hope he does get it. he is a young person who is growing up. Maturity does not happen like it use too. Not saying it is right but people today take longer to grow up. At some point we all get it, just depends on what makes us get there. Hopefully whatever it is that makes us get there did not hurt ourselves or more importantly someone else.