QB competition

A few more thoughts on the subject:

Lets say a very big component to the success of their offense is the ability to throw accurately deep. I think this is the case. I think they need a QB who can hit the deep pass frequently so it forces the defense to cover our guys deep every play. Can Kolb throw deep with success? If his arm is limited I think it limits his ability to challenge for a starting spot. I also think that was the biggest plus on Manuel - his arm strength and deep ball - coupled with his mobility.

Secondly, lets say Manuel is a bust. Lets say he can't pick up the offense. I don't want to think about that - but, if they wait to start him until next year, and that is the case, then they are scrambling to decide, year 3 of the coaching staff, whether to go into maybe their last year with another rookie, or with Manuel.

However, if they start Manuel now, and he struggles, they can justify picking a "better" prospect next year - and, if Manuel struggles, it would allow them to pick early. Or, they get two years to let him learn, on the job, and go into year 3 with more certainty.

Those are some valid points as to why EJ would start out the year. And, he's a first round pick. That, in itself, often justifies it. If they are sure they want EJ starting (as opposed to Kolb maybe winning the job and keeping it for the next 3 years - what would that say of their draft plans?) because of his specific physical abilities, then I say start him now and let him learn.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do y'all think the position of the QBs are going to be this year?

I think

1. Manuel

2. Tuel or Kolb

3. The one that doesn't get the #2 spot.

Tuel looks pretty good, and Kolb is looking good also.

Cut.

Aaron Corp

Tarvaris Jackson

I expect Kolb to Start. I think he should anyways!

At first I thought that whoever wins the battle between Kolb and Tarvaris would stay and the other cut, and maybe Corp would stay on as #3.

Now I kind of think that Kolb starts, EJ is the back-up and may take over during the season. And TJax is #3 with Tuel on the PS. TJax may ask for his release if he is #3. But it depends on how far Manuel progresses in camp. Kolb could get hurt and Marrone go with TJax until Manuel is ready.

This is my take as well.

Question for posters in this thread, or anybody else:

Do you start Kolb against the Pats (1st game of the season) no matter what?

My answer: Yes. That's too much for a rookie. I know that sounds weak. But, I am thinking along the lines of discretion vs. valor here. Even if EJM is the far and away better player, I still think you start Kolb.

The reason: I saw firsthand how the Eagles handled McNabb as a rookie. It was brilliant. And, so far, that script has been followed to the letter. Just change the names. Replace signing veteran FA Pederson, with Kolb, and drafting rookie McNabb with EJM...and there it is.

Pederson started and did Ok, but the plan all along was for him to be the foil for the fans. When McNabb did start later in the season, it gave the fans the impression that they forced it to happen. BS. (Of course, given the mentality of the average Eagle fan, this wasn't hard to achieve.) This happened, after it was the fans themselves that booed drafting McNabb in the first place. :wacko::lol:

This completely absolved the coaching staff and the FO, and both QBs...and in the end, the Eagle fans cancelled their idiot selves out.

I am not saying that Bills fans are anywhere near the level of Eagles fans when in comes to general douchebaggery. Their idiocy made this subterfuge a requirement, and not just a good idea.

I am saying: For us, it's a good idea. The effect will be the same. The last thing anyone needs that Sunday night is for the takeaway to be "It was EJ's fault we lost".

At first I thought that whoever wins the battle between Kolb and Tarvaris would stay and the other cut, and maybe Corp would stay on as #3.

Now I kind of think that Kolb starts, EJ is the back-up and may take over during the season. And TJax is #3 with Tuel on the PS. TJax may ask for his release if he is #3. But it depends on how far Manuel progresses in camp. Kolb could get hurt and Marrone go with TJax until Manuel is ready.

This is, I think, the most plausible scenario. Fans (and the media for that matter) need to forget the "first round picks have to start" mentality of the last couple of years. Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, RGIII and even Russell Wilson were in situations where the starters role was wide open. And they were all starter-ready. Right now, Manuel is more of a "high-end prospect" than he is an NFL-ready guy. I believe he's going to be very good with the Bills. But I wouldn't at all feel bad if the team returns to the old-school approach and "teaches him up." Think of Aaron Rodgers or Colin Kaepernick as the model. Or the anti-model of Mark Sanchez who could have really, really used at least a year learning the position, NFL style.

BTW, Marrone certainly had input on the Kolb acquisition so I have to think he sees him as fitting the offense he wants to install with the Bills. And knowing they were going to draft a QB (and quite possibly having already narrowed it down to where Manuel was at the top of their list), I suspect Marrone already planned to have his rookie QB spend time learning rather than rushing him onto the field.

I think part of the decision whether or not to start a rookie 1st round QB has to include an assessment of said QB's mental fortitude. I look at it this way; we have to assume EJ3 will prove at least adequate on the practice field. He's too talented and smart not to. We also know every rookie QB has to take some lumps; the question is whether taking those lumps sets the guy back, or if he has the mindset that this is part of the game and he'll fight through it.

If EJ3 has the latter mindset, I'm all for throwing him out there against the Pats* on September 8.

Ultimately it really all depends on how fast EJ picks up the offense and the NFL game speed and what he shows in pre-season.

The Bills knew what they wanted going into the draft, and probably knew they were going to get Manuel. They probably also wanted Woods and Goodwin, but they sure as hell didn't know that is who they were going to end up with, because they could have gone before our pick, and another player they liked better could have been available they would have taken. They surely liked Da'Rick but didn't at all know this was going to happen. They didn't know Gragg was going to be the TE they ended up with.

After the draft, their feelings about the offense could have changed, maybe even substantially. They may want EJ in their earlier and let these guys all grow together. They may have even surprised themselves with all the speed, and the three WRs and speedy TE/HB, and now that they know who is going to be there, they may go all in early.

This is all conjecture of course. But the point is, if EJ gets it quickly, they may sacrifice some early mistakes for quicker maturation.

If Manuel shows he's ready to start game 1, I think Tjax is #2, Kolb is cut.

If he's not quite ready, I think Kolb starts, Manuel is #2 and TJax is cut

If they think Kolb is a better QB than TJax, and it would seem you believe that true with him starting, why would they cut Kolb? He isn't making that much money, he has a two year deal and TJax only one, he didn't become any kind of cancer when being jerked around in Philly or Phoenix (not that he was treated poorly either place just a lot of back and forth).

Have no clue what at all in kolbs history gives him a nood over Jackson to start, kolb can't take a hot to save his life. I don't think kolb makes it out of training camp on the roster!! If they believe Tjax can hold the fort till rookie is ready why on earth pay kolb to back up that much?? This ain't Seattle and Flynn. Kolb also doesn't quite fit the style of offense coach wants to run either!

Edited by Cheetahz

Bills release 4 players

Posted by Chris Brown on April 29, 2013 – 4:01 pm

In order to make room for the 16 undrafted rookies that agreed to terms with the Bills Monday, Buffalo released four players from their roster.

The Bills released QB Aaron Corp, T Adam Grant, K Chris Koepplin and TE Joe Sawyer.

Buffalo’s roster is now at the maximum offseason figure of 90. Under the new CBA even unsigned draft choices count against the roster total.

Edited by Astrobot