[please fix subject]Byrd

I just don't know why they didn't sign him earlier!? We gave up Andy to keep him, and we don't sign him?!

They did attempt to sign him prior to free agency, but the two sides couldn't come to terms. They attempted again to negotiate with him, even after the franchise tag was assigned, and still haven't come to an agreement. It's not like the Bills aren't trying. Have patienceman...these negotiations are a chess match.

I'm confident Byrd will at least sign his franchise tender before mandatory team mini-camps. He will be motivated to sign long-term, as the Bills potentially could use the franchise tag on him for the next 2 seasons.

They did attempt to sign him prior to free agency, but the two sides couldn't come to terms. They attempted again to negotiate with him, even after the franchise tag was assigned, and still haven't come to an agreement. It's not like the Bills aren't trying. Have patienceman...these negotiations are a chess match.

I'm confident Byrd will at least sign his franchise tender before mandatory team mini-camps. He will be motivated to sign long-term, as the Bills potentially could use the franchise tag on him for the next 2 seasons.

Man I hope your right! I think they need to save a franchise tag for CJ or give him a extension, doesnt his contract come up next year? Without CJ the offence is going to fail, he was the only one on the offence that could do anything! Fitz couldn't complete many passes!,

Spiller isn't a free agent until 2016.

Jarius Byrd, Eric Wood, Alan Branch, Alex Carrington, Scott Chandler, Tashard Choice, Tavaris Jackson, Arthur Moats, Torell Troup, and Sam Young will all be noteworthy UFA's in 2014.

Of those players, I expect Buffalo attempts to extend Byrd, Wood, Carrington, Chandler, and maybe Sam Young (depending on what he does this season). Obviously, the priority with go to Byrd and Wood.

I don't understand what we have to think about here. Byrd is a top 3 safety, may quite possibly be the best safety in the league. If he wants 8-9 million a year pay it to him. There really shouldnt be much to negotiate. We try to low ball every good player we have. Byrd is well worth the money and he will get that on the open market from somebody. You can't say ur gonna build through the draft and then not resign our good players when their rookie contracts expire. He is a game changing player. Get it done

I just don't know why they didn't sign him earlier!? We gave up Andy to keep him, and we don't sign him?!

It's weird for me to type this since I'm unabashedly optimistic on nearly all things Bills, but Byrd's agent is Eugene Parker.

You may remember Eugene Parker from the Jason Peters fiasco, as well as the Michael Crabtree holdout. He's known for putting the screws to franchises and getting teams to pay top dollar.

Whatever we think would be an extremely generous contract, Parker likely thinks is not enough. I imagine he's looking to get $10 mil a year for Byrd.

Edited by uncle flap

Never thought about this before. Does anyone know if its a viable option to franchise him year to year? He will likely be paid in the top 3 safeties anyway, and keeping him on a one year contract will eliminate the risk of losing guaranteed money if his production drops in the new scheme. Can anyone enlighten me on any downsides?

Never thought about this before. Does anyone know if its a viable option to franchise him year to year? He will likely be paid in the top 3 safeties anyway, and keeping him on a one year contract will eliminate the risk of losing guaranteed money if his production drops in the new scheme. Can anyone enlighten me on any downsides?

If you franchise him next year it's 120%, so closer to 10m a year.

we cannot continue to let talent walk.

Even if they want to walk away? Not much you can do if a player wants to leave. Not saying this is the case but some players price themselves too high.

Yep. Totally agree. The same message they sent to Stevie after drafting two WRs, "Hey dude! We finally got you some friggin' help!"

Nice!

We're going to spend the money. In fact, the only way we don't spend the money at this point is if Byrd decides to hold out past midseason to sign his Franchise Tag, or make a deal.

I do honestly believe that if Byrd doesn't sign his tender and agree to work out a deal, he makes l less money. We know who he is. A lot of analysts and coaches know who he is, but does he really have the bidding power of someone like Landry? I don't think so.

It's hard for me to be remotely excited about any player that was a part of our secondary last year, but Byrd was very solid none the less. Drafting players like we did this year is preparation for his departure, and that might not be the doom and gloom everyone else seems to think. If we get stronger at corner and at the LB level, along with a much better and more aggressive game plan, Byrd might not be the priority everyone seems to think.