According the Chris Brown........

the Bills plan to try to trade down in R1 (to the teens or 20s) to acquire more picks and will then plan to select a QB at that time in R1. They are hoping that certain players such WR Austin or OT L. Johnson are still available at #8 so that other teams will offer a bevy of draft picks to move up to #8 overall. It's pretty cler that the Bill want to select a QB as their top priority in this draft, but that they don't feel like any of the QBs warrant being selected as high as #8 overall. The trade down strategy would work out the best for the Bills because it would allow them to select the QB that they want in R1 while still acquiring more picks whereas selecting a player at #8 overall and then trying to trade back into the latter part of R1 will cost them too many of the precious few draft picks (6) that they have at their disposal. Brown also made it clear that the Bills are looking to acquire a CB as a very high priority now that A. Williams has been moved to safety.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Brown has the inside scoop but he is very careful in what he reports. He works for the Bills so the message is relayed the way that the organization wants. He knows as well as any journalist what is going on around there but he doesn't have the same freedom to report.

Chris Brown has the inside scoop but he is very careful in what he reports. He works for the Bills so the message is relayed the way that the organization wants. He knows as well as any journalist what is going on around there but he doesn't have the same freedom to report.

Thanks for the info.

I think the Revis trade might just change things a little bit for Buffalo. I could be wrong, but there's been a lot of speculation that the Jets like Nassib, and with 2 first round picks so high in the round, if Buffalo moves down, even to 20 - even to 15, the QB they really want could now be gone. My firm conviction on this matter is this - if Buffalo truly believes there's a QB who they can go all the way with and who can be a franchise guy for the next 10 years, they're not going to risk trading down and missing out on him. If they do trade down, I think it only shows that they don't really have A GUY - one guy - but are okay with any of a number of guys. I don't know how I like that - my gut instinct is to hope they're set on one guy - that they're certain one guy really has "it". To think that they'd settle for any of a number of guys kind of suggests that none of them are all that special.

I think the Revis trade might just change things a little bit for Buffalo. I could be wrong, but there's been a lot of speculation that the Jets like Nassib, and with 2 first round picks so high in the round, if Buffalo moves down, even to 20 - even to 15, the QB they really want could now be gone. My firm conviction on this matter is this - if Buffalo truly believes there's a QB who they can go all the way with and who can be a franchise guy for the next 10 years, they're not going to risk trading down and missing out on him. If they do trade down, I think it only shows that they don't really have A GUY - one guy - but are okay with any of a number of guys. I don't know how I like that - my gut instinct is to hope they're set on one guy - that they're certain one guy really has "it". To think that they'd settle for any of a number of guys kind of suggests that none of them are all that special.

Well...Buddy did say there are at least 3 QB's that The Bills see as quality starting prospects...So we know already they believe in at least 3...He also said this QB class is much better than folks are giving it credit for...I think it's safe to say The Bills are not sold on just one guy...At least that's the way I feel after listening to the Luncheon Presser... B-)

My impression is he doesn't know more than the average local journalist either (atleast as far as the juicy stuff). Many think when he says something like this its coming right from the mouth of buddy nix, when in fact I think it's just him venturing they have a lot of holes, not a lot of picks and doing the simple arithmetic to get to this answer.

My impression is he doesn't know more than the average local journalist either (atleast as far as the juicy stuff). Many think when he says something like this its coming right from the mouth of buddy nix, when in fact I think it's just him venturing they have a lot of holes, not a lot of picks and doing the simple arithmetic to get to this answer.

I guess what I was getting at is that he will never break the story. 9 times out of 10 word gets out before the team wants it out. He isn't just a beat writer but an employee of the Bills. He is in that building morning, noon and sometimes night. He has the info but has to relay it in a manner that is acceptable to the team. If you read the tea leaves of what he says it is usually on point. The only difference between him and us is that what he reports is based less in speculation.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I guess what I was getting at is that he will never break the story. 9 times out of 10 word gets out before the team wants it out. He isn't just a beat writer but an employee of the Bills. He is in that building morning, noon and sometimes night. He has the info but has to relay it in a manner that is acceptable to the team. If you read the tea leaves of what he says it is usually on point. The only difference between him and us is that what he reports is based less in speculation.

He might be in the building, but I doubt hes in the room.

He might be in the building, but I doubt hes in the room.

Not meetings, but from practice, to the cafeteria to the weight room he is there. He is there when the players aren't in town and only the coaches and front office people are. There is not another journalist that has anywhere near that access or trust. It is different in that he is an employee of the Bills. That's the important distinction. He is a member of the Bills PR department.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

the Bills plan to try to trade down in R1 (to the teens or 20s) to acquire more picks and will then plan to select a QB at that time in R1. They are hoping that certain players such WR Austin or OT L. Johnson are still available at #8 so that other teams will offer a bevy of draft picks to move up to #8 overall. It's pretty cler that the Bill want to select a QB as their top priority in this draft, but that they don't feel like any of the QBs warrant being selected as high as #8 overall. The trade down strategy would work out the best for the Bills because it would allow them to select the QB that they want in R1 while still acquiring more picks whereas selecting a player at #8 overall and then trying to trade back into the latter part of R1 will cost them too many of the precious few draft picks (6) that they have at their disposal. Brown also made it clear that the Bills are looking to acquire a CB as a very high priority now that A. Williams has been moved to safety.

After reading the Buffalo News today and talk of the trade back into Round 1 scenario, I thought that this is exactly what they should do..........I think it what they will do, if they can get a trading partner...........It sucks that the year we need a stud WR or LB, there really are none worthy of #8. PIcking a guard does nothing for me.

Right, let's just leave it to a whim "Oh, any of these 3 guys will do...."

I would be really shocked if they didn't prefer one over the others. And what is this sht about "value"? If you think the guy is gonna be your QB, what is more valuable than that?

"I like him as a starter for the next 10 years...but only if we select him at 20. If we have to pick him at 8 then it's just not worth it. Maybe at some point in the next 20 years, there will be a guy we can use instead".

And all this talk about them not having many picks seems a little overblown. It's a 7 round draft, and this year they only have 6. That's one pick they are missing, and it's a 7th rounder.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

The talent this year seems so unexceptional compared to last year's draft class.

I really hope that they can't find a way to trade down.

I just don't think that there is any player that they would want at #8 that wouldn't otherwise be available at 28.

i don't think this even requires i link, nor is it news. i would assume that this is their plan, and i think most do.

the problem is, if the Jets want to do the same thing, it's a bidding war of who will take less... and with the Jets picking lower and with 2, i'd say it's them. best case, someone wants Mingo and fears the Jets take him at 9 and will move up a few spots to get him.

as for just taking the QB at 8, sure of course if they really favor one over the others. but there are many voices and if it's a split decision on 2 or 3 guys with the same grade; ALL of which are graded as 2nd round picks anyway, then why bother at 8? if you really can't decide between say Nassib and Wilson anyway, might as well take the latter AND a first round CB/WR or something, rather than Nassib and a 2nd rd CB/WR