Man arrested for refusing to leave the bedside of his sick partner

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing like good old fashion compassion.

http://fox4kc.com/20...-area-hospital/

Nothing like PC spin.............

This was an issue of disruptive and belligerent behavior by the visitor that affected patient care. The hospital’s response followed the same policies that would apply to any individual engaged in this behavior in a patient care setting and was not in any way related to the patient’s or the visitor’s sexual orientation or marital status. This visitor created a barrier for us to care for the patient. Attempts were made to deescalate the situation. Unfortunately, we had no choice but to involve security and the Kansas City MO Police Department.”

There is absolutely no reason given to disbelieve the hospital's statement.

On a personal note, I was a hospital supervisor (on the evening shift, no administration around) for over a decade and the circumstances of an upset family and unruly visitor is all too common. I had to deal with it at least once a week. The patient's best interest comes first, NOT what the visitor "wants".

I am sure that there is more to the story here then what little is being presented.

Edited by B-Man

Nothing like PC spin.............

This was an issue of disruptive and belligerent behavior by the visitor that affected patient care. The hospital’s response followed the same policies that would apply to any individual engaged in this behavior in a patient care setting and was not in any way related to the patient’s or the visitor’s sexual orientation or marital status. This visitor created a barrier for us to care for the patient. Attempts were made to deescalate the situation. Unfortunately, we had no choice but to involve security and the Kansas City MO Police Department.”

There is absolutely no reason given to disbelieve the hospital's statement.

On a personal note, I was the hospital supervisor (on the evening shift, no administration around) for over a decade and the circumstances of an upset family and unruly visitor is all too common. I had to deal with it at least once a week. The patient's best interest comes first, NOT waht the visitor "wants".

I am sure that there is more to the story here then what little is being presented.

There is more.

Reports are it started because the night nurse wouldn't check the power of attorney because she found gay marriage to be icky, this led to a confrontation with another family member who felt the same and led to the escalation.

Not stating that's what happened, it's too early to know, but that's the buzz.

There is more.

Reports are it started because the night nurse wouldn't check the power of attorney because she found gay marriage to be icky, this led to a confrontation with another family member who felt the same and led to the escalation.

It's a nurse's job to be checking into who has power of attorney over what patients??

There is more.

Is it the same place that you discovered the reptilian shape shifting alien?

His being "POA" has absolutely no bearing on whether or not he can be at the bedside.

Even if he was the Health Care Proxy, that really only comes into play when the patient cannot represent themselves.

It still doesnt really seem to be pertinent to the situation, and I suspect that it is only being presented to try and sway people's opinions.

PS: I (and other nurses) do use the word "icky".............but only in reference to the cafeteria.

Edited by B-Man

His being "POA" has absolutely no bearing on whether or not he can be at the bedside.

Even if he was the Health Care Proxy, that really only comes into play when the patient cannot represent themselves.

It still doesnt really seem to be pertinent to the situation, and I suspect that it is only being presented to try and sway people's opinins.

PS: I (and other nurses) do use the word "icky".............but only in reference to the cafeteria.

Another male nurse.

Damn this forum is spiraling downhill :P

There is more.

While that is sad, to go on a tear on an Inpatient Floor is not the way to go about it.... there is a House Manager than could have been contacted and intervened, Nurse Manager on the Floor and Charge Nurse on that shift... as well as patient advocate reps at the facility... if that is the case...

It still doesnt really seem to be pertinent to the situation, and I suspect that it is only being presented to try and sway people's opinions.

Hey B-Man: I generally agree with your assessment, but I read somewhere in that article that they were in the psychiatric unit. If that is the case, the man's ability to make legal and medical decisions on his own might have been in question. If so, then the POA would allow the partner to make legal/financial decisions if the patient is unable to do so and the HCP would allow the health care agent to make medical decisions. The article doesn't say anything about whether the patient was incapacitated. Generally, a HCP or POA doesn't "trigger" unless the patient is unable to make decisions (as determined by a Court) or is incapacitated. Either way, sad story all around.

While that is sad, to go on a tear on an Inpatient Floor is not the way to go about it.... there is a House Manager than could have been contacted and intervened, Nurse Manager on the Floor and Charge Nurse on that shift... as well as patient advocate reps at the facility... if that is the case...

Yes, but where are the headlines in rational behavior?

Later today we're going to find out this all happened while one of the gay men was on his way to the hospital gift shop to buy some Skittles.

Hey B-Man: I generally agree with your assessment, but I read somewhere in that article that they were in the psychiatric unit. If that is the case, the man's ability to make legal and medical decisions on his own might have been in question. If so, then the POA would allow the partner to make legal/financial decisions if the patient is unable to do so and the HCP would allow the health care agent to make medical decisions. The article doesn't say anything about whether the patient was incapacitated. Generally, a HCP or POA doesn't "trigger" unless the patient is unable to make decisions (as determined by a Court) or is incapacitated. Either way, sad story all around.

The hospital will get sued.... that helps bring down the cost of care for everybody...

Yes, but where are the headlines in rational behavior?

Later today we're going to find out this all happened while one of the gay men was on his way to the hospital gift shop to buy some Skittles.

or he was outraged when he saw the price of Tulips in the Florist's onsite shop.....

I hate reporting that leaves out basically all details other than confrontation.... but then again, Headlines, right?

Yes, I saw it referenced in the article, but its written kind of ambiguously. I also worked on my Hospital's Mental Health Unit for two years, and the visitor's rules there are even more restrictive usually.

Look, I am just saying that there is probably more to this than the knee-jerk discrimination angle.

If he had been visiting there at that unit "several times" over past visits, I find it hard to believe that the nurses were not familiar with him as a visitor....................either way, its unfortunate that it couldn't have been worked out without security.

What does having an advanced medical directive have to do with being allowed to remain bedside? Oh that's right....nothing.

And sounds like a nutjob to me. Anyone who sticks with someone who has been do the physco "several times" qualifies as a nut job.

Edited by Chef Jim

What does having an advanced medical directive have to do with being allowed to remain bedside? Oh that's right....nothing.

And sounds like a nutjob to me. Anyone who sticks with someone who has been do the physco "several times" qualifies as a nut job.

Advanced Medical Directive is a Living Will - the patient's intentions re. life sustaining equipment or treatment.

A "Health Care Proxy" is where the Patient appoints someone to make health care decisions for the patient when he/she is incapacitated.

A POA is similar to a HCP but allows someone to handle other non-medical affairs if the patient is incapacitated.

The article says the guy was in the psychiatric unit but says nothing about whether he was incapacitated.

B-Man was just pointing out (and I was agreeing with him) that the HCP would come into play if the patient was in the psych ward and unable to make medical decisions on his own. The POA could also come into play if the partner was trying to perform traditional POA functions at the hospital.

Pretty sad this had to be handled in this way.

Advanced Medical Directive is a Living Will - the patient's intentions re. life sustaining equipment or treatment.

A "Health Care Proxy" is where the Patient appoints someone to make health care decisions for the patient when he/she is incapacitated.

A POA is similar to a HCP but allows someone to handle other non-medical affairs if the patient is incapacitated.

The article says the guy was in the psychiatric unit but says nothing about whether he was incapacitated.

B-Man was just pointing out (and I was agreeing with him) that the HCP would come into play if the patient was in the psych ward and unable to make medical decisions on his own. The POA could also come into play if the partner was trying to perform traditional POA functions at the hospital.

My point was that none of these have anything to do with whether or not he should be allowed in the room with his husband. He could of had all of those and my point would have been "so what, has nothing to do with the story."