Does anyone here meditate?

I'm prepared for the jokes that are sure to come... but I'm asking for real. I've recently started meditating for twenty minutes once a day, just to see what it's all about. I've been reading up on the subject and there are obviously many different types of meditation and practices/beliefs associated with them.

I'm still new to it and frankly am not even sure I'm doing it right. It's quite difficult to turn off your mind, even one as dim as my own.

Does anyone here meditate? Do you find it helpful or beneficial to your life?

Yes, I do. Every day....................I used to be way better at it, and need to start doing some yoga before it again.

It helps alot now, even as I can't get my mind to steady. But, man, when I was doing it really good - it did amazing things for me!

Yes, I do. Every day....................I used to be way better at it, and need to start doing some yoga before it again.

It helps alot now, even as I can't get my mind to steady. But, man, when I was doing it really good - it did amazing things for me!

That's good to hear. For one it means I'm not wasting my time, so thank you for sharing.

I have some newbie questions for you if you'll indulge me. The most pedantic one first, do you close your eyes or keep them open? Or does it even matter? I've also read a lot about proper posture while doing so, obviously each discipline has their own theory but did you use a specific posture or find one to be most helpful when starting out?

Used to have a class in HS where we mediated. Really liked it but I've since gotton away from it

That's cool they taught that in HS actually. And I shouldn't be a wise-ass in my own thread, but when I first read that I just imagined your gym teachers convincing you all to meditate so they could have a free period. :lol:

That's good to hear. For one it means I'm not wasting my time, so thank you for sharing.

I have some newbie questions for you if you'll indulge me. The most pedantic one first, do you close your eyes or keep them open? Or does it even matter? I've also read a lot about proper posture while doing so, obviously each discipline has their own theory but did you use a specific posture or find one to be most helpful when starting out?

When I was doing it at my best, I always kept my eyes shut. Now sometimes I get frustated and say I'll keep them open and not worry about it............Proper posture definitely helps a lot. That's part of my problem these days - just a bunch of small things wrong with my health called getting old, and not doing the yoga that was a big help.........A lot of people do it with that crossed legged position on the floor, but I never had good posture from that and my legs would always fall asleep, so I meditate in a chair............You basically want to be comfortable but not so comfortable that you're falling asleep.

Such as?

I'm probably not even going to remember them all, but it truly was like taking a showing for your mind. As it was described to me by somebody, it's like your mind goes into it like a swarm of bees of a stampede of bulls (I forget what they used as the metaphor) and you come out of it with the mind floating like a butterfly.

I've heard Howard Stern, who has been doing it for at least 30 years I think, describe it as a shower for the mind.

It was so much like that that I would be able to just go to sleep and not have those same rambling thoughts churn through my brain................I remember when my friend complaining about how he couldn't sleep last night - he kept thinking about a new possible job and this and that, and I thought Oh, yeah - I remember that. Now I meditate.

Another thing is that it takes away the hard edges of anxiety. I am very high strung and can get painful anxiety. But, it really takes the edge off to manageability...........And, I guess things that would keep me in a depressed state of mind for a week, then they only lasted a day.............I remember thinking - this feels like I'm cheating in life. I'm not suffering anymore!

I know it's not Howard Stern's thing, but I definitely felt way closer to God. Yoga is basically a joining together with God. The philosophy is that there is one universal consciousness, that we all tap into.............This came true in some really wild ways. I remember occasions where there was major strife in the office. I said this and he said that, and we couldn't agree on anything, yada...............And, then without thinking about all of a sudden that scenario came in front of me, and I could see where the disconnect was, even though physically I couldn't see it while it was happening.

That was the most extreme, but almost nightly, I would come up with answers to problems, while not thinking about them - which is the point of meditating. Not thinking about anything. That universal consciousness just pops them in your brain with those Eureka moments!

You feel physically way better. You know how pot makes everything more intense - all the senses. Well, pot also made me paranoid. This would make the present moment as your living your life more intense and fulfilling. The benefits that you get from learning to concentrate also keep you in the present moment, which also does that.

It relaxes the body and the mind.

I'll think of more, but that sounds pretty good, huh? I should probably do it right now!

Every day before I wake and sleep. I sit on the backs of my legs (lotus positions are hard for me). I use eyes open and closed depending on the visual distractions present.

Having done it for a year, I'm calmer and happier. Also more focused.

was recently taught a relaxation breathing technique at a work sponsored seminar. seems like meditation to me but not sure. you close your eyes and breathing very slowly, silently saying "breath in", "breath out" "pause" and repeat til you feel yourself relax. has worked well when i feel myself getting hyped up at work. of course, praying works, too.

I have no idea if I was doing it right but I'd put on headphones and listen to Blue Mars and after a few minutes of really paying attention to my breathing it was almost like an acid trip. Hard to explain but it was very cool. Have no idea if it was doing me any good but the cheapest "high" I ever got. Hmmm, need to try that again.

I started the Spirtiual Exercises of St Ignatius last September, and it's basically a 30-week retreat intended to improve conscious contact with God. We are supposed to spend an hour in prayer and meditation each day. I had a hard time getting past 20 minutes at first, but now I do an hour a day and enjoy it. I usually don't do transcendental meditation (where you blank out your mind). Rather I try to have a focus on my relationship with God and feel His presence.

I usually put on some quiet meditation music, gongs, or a waterfall soundtrack....something without a specific melody that is calming and helps cut out background noise - dogs barking, traffic, etc. The music is in 20-minute tracks, so I can do my hour of meditation in three 20-minute segments. I start a 20-minute track, do a 20-minute meditation segment, and when the music ends, I move on to the next track of music and the next nmeditation segment.

I turn off the phones, and get in a cross-leg sitting position and take a few deep breaths. I try to do it the same time every day to create a routine - usually my lunch hour.

First 20-minute segment is spent just repeating a mantra to get my mind clear and to keep my mind from wandering and thniking about work, etc. I usually focus on things in my life I am thankful for and thank God for them. I started with my health, job, kids, etc but now I think about things like a helpful conversation I may have had with someone, a sunset I saw, some birds I had watched....literally everything I encounter is something to be thankful for and to thank God for.

With the Spiritual Exercises, I then read a bible passage that is given to us, based on a theme for the week. It is usually just a 3-5 verse passage and we are supposed to put ourselves in the scene and take on one of the characters in the scene. I try to experience the sights, sounds, smells, touch that might have come up in that scene. I think about how that passage applies to my life and things I am going through at the present time or in the past. That's the second 20-minute segment.

The final 20-minutes is spent conversing with God - about what is going on with me, asking his help, thanking Him - whatever...just talking like I would to a close friend.

This hour of meditation and prayer has really helped me calm down, and given me perspective on how good my life is. It has also strengthened my relationship with God and helped me feel less anxiety, because I know that God has and will always take care of me, so I needn't worry.

Hopefully there is some useful stuff in there you can try!

That's cool they taught that in HS actually. And I shouldn't be a wise-ass in my own thread, but when I first read that I just imagined your gym teachers convincing you all to meditate so they could have a free period. :lol:

:lol: No I went to a Catholic high school and the class was prayer and meditation. It was actually really nice if you had it first thing in the morning (we had a rotating schedule) Relaxed you for the whole day

When I was doing it at my best, I always kept my eyes shut. Now sometimes I get frustated and say I'll keep them open and not worry about it............Proper posture definitely helps a lot. That's part of my problem these days - just a bunch of small things wrong with my health called getting old, and not doing the yoga that was a big help.........A lot of people do it with that crossed legged position on the floor, but I never had good posture from that and my legs would always fall asleep, so I meditate in a chair............You basically want to be comfortable but not so comfortable that you're falling asleep.

Good advice about the chair. I haven't tried that yet, maybe I will today when I do my meditation. I did it cross legged yesterday and both legs fell asleep to such a degree I completely biffed it when I tried to get up. It was like trying to walk on rubber pogo sticks.

I've heard Howard Stern, who has been doing it for at least 30 years I think, describe it as a shower for the mind.

(snip for space sake)

That was the most extreme, but almost nightly, I would come up with answers to problems, while not thinking about them - which is the point of meditating. Not thinking about anything. That universal consciousness just pops them in your brain with those Eureka moments!

The more I've looked into this over the past few months, the more surprising names I find of people who swear by it. I had no idea Stern meditated. But there is a lot of material out there showing how a lot of creative and genius level folks in the sciences all credit meditation or their connection to the universal consciousness as the source of their inspiration.

Interesting.

Every day before I wake and sleep. I sit on the backs of my legs (lotus positions are hard for me). I use eyes open and closed depending on the visual distractions present.

Having done it for a year, I'm calmer and happier. Also more focused.

See what I mean about being surprising names doing meditation? If John Adams is doing this, then I'm totally in.

I started the Spirtiual Exercises of St Ignatius last September, and it's basically a 30-week retreat intended to improve conscious contact with God. We are supposed to spend an hour in prayer and meditation each day. I had a hard time getting past 20 minutes at first, but now I do an hour a day and enjoy it. I usually don't do transcendental meditation (where you blank out your mind). Rather I try to have a focus on my relationship with God and feel His presence.

I usually put on some quiet meditation music, gongs, or a waterfall soundtrack....something without a specific melody that is calming and helps cut out background noise - dogs barking, traffic, etc. The music is in 20-minute tracks, so I can do my hour of meditation in three 20-minute segments. I start a 20-minute track, do a 20-minute meditation segment, and when the music ends, I move on to the next track of music and the next nmeditation segment.

I turn off the phones, and get in a cross-leg sitting position and take a few deep breaths. I try to do it the same time every day to create a routine - usually my lunch hour.

First 20-minute segment is spent just repeating a mantra to get my mind clear and to keep my mind from wandering and thniking about work, etc. I usually focus on things in my life I am thankful for and thank God for them. I started with my health, job, kids, etc but now I think about things like a helpful conversation I may have had with someone, a sunset I saw, some birds I had watched....literally everything I encounter is something to be thankful for and to thank God for.

With the Spiritual Exercises, I then read a bible passage that is given to us, based on a theme for the week. It is usually just a 3-5 verse passage and we are supposed to put ourselves in the scene and take on one of the characters in the scene. I try to experience the sights, sounds, smells, touch that might have come up in that scene. I think about how that passage applies to my life and things I am going through at the present time or in the past. That's the second 20-minute segment.

The final 20-minutes is spent conversing with God - about what is going on with me, asking his help, thanking Him - whatever...just talking like I would to a close friend.

This hour of meditation and prayer has really helped me calm down, and given me perspective on how good my life is. It has also strengthened my relationship with God and helped me feel less anxiety, because I know that God has and will always take care of me, so I needn't worry.

Hopefully there is some useful stuff in there you can try!

Very cool, thank you for sharing. There are definitely a lot of useful information in here and it's very inspiring. Cheers!

There's a special chair that I sit in each day, usually for about 10-15 minutes but it varies, and just reflect on what the day might bring and enjoy the solitude of the moment - it is all very relaxing....

...until I look to my right and see that the toilet paper roll is empty...then the stress kicks in again.