The Charging Buffalo...like it or hate it, here's the back story

Does anyone here think that the similarities in the logo are coincidental?

Then the next thing you look at is the chronology.

Howard's logo predates the Bills charging buffalo logo by many years, does it not?

I think it does... I am not sure... But maybe the 1950's or so... I haven't looked up this John Dupri guy who Howard claims was an art student.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone here think that the similarities in the logo are coincidental?

Then the next thing you look at is the chronology.

Howard's logo predates the Bills charging buffalo logo by many years, does it not?

Unfortunately I've spent far too much time this morning trying to find a Bison logo. The earliest I could find was 1996 which I linked above. I'm not sure what the logo is, but it's no charging buffalo. But, to be fair, it's homecoming so maybe they brought back a retired logo for the game.

Believe it or not, pics of Howard University sports teams are hard to come by. I'll leave the research to someone else (if anyone cares).

"Thanks for the comment. Digging deeper, it looks like a Howard alumnus named John Dupri designed the logo for his alma mater (I haven’t found the year), but neither he nor the school copyrighted or trademarked it. The Buffalo Bills jumped on it, and then “graciously” agreed to license it back to Howard at no charge. Bucknell has apparently also used the logo, licensed from the Bills."

I too have not found the year that John Dupri played football for Howard and designed the logo... BUT, I stumbled onto this post above... Apparently, Bucknell uses the logo and licenses (or did) it from the Bills?

The Howard logo was designed in 2002.

http://www.sportslog...1/Howard_Bison/

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/6899

Not sure what it looked like before that.

It is earlier than that. I can't find out when John Dupri played... But it was before the Bills copyrighted the logo. Dupri was an art student and football player. It seems Howard has many different names and logos through the years. Earlier on, they had to be loosely protected... There has to be a reason why the Bills and NFL made Bucknell license it and give Howard a free pass? Because Wright's (Beerball's OP link) inspiration came from Dupri.

Find the year Dupri was a player/art student and we will have our answer!

According to different sources, Howard adopted the charging bison logo only in 2002. Before that, according to a fan comment on another site:

"They used to have a great logo, which was a blue buffalo head dressed in cavalry gear." (http://www.sportslog...logos/view/6899)

My guess is that the article cited in the first place is correct and that some guy from CA designed the charging buffalo for us back in 1974. Then Howard, already nicknamed the Bisons, decided to copy the design to update their old logo.

Edited by hondo in seattle

According to different sources, Howard adopted the charging bison logo only in 2002. Before that, according to a fan comment on another site:

"They used to have a great logo, which was a blue buffalo head dressed in cavalry gear." (http://www.sportslog...logos/view/6899)

My guess is that the article cited in the first place is correct and that some guy from CA designed the charging buffalo for us back in 1974. Then Howard, already nicknamed the Bisons, decided to copy the design to update their old logo.

Thanks, your research was much better than mine. The blue bison head in cavalry gear must be what's on the 1996 photo I linked earlier.

My guess is that the article cited in the first place is correct and that some guy from CA designed the charging buffalo for us. Then Howard, already nicknamed the Bisons, decided to copy the design to update their old logo.

"The bison has been the proud mascot of Howard University's Intercollegiate athletics since the 1920's. Its large forequarters, shaggy mane and massive head with curvaceous horns make the bison an ideal emblem of power and strength.

The bison, clad in red, white and blue is the mascot of Howard's 20 Division I varsity athletic programs, eight wherein both men and women participate. Wether it is Howard's very own soccer team the "Bison Booters," or the women's basketball team of "Lady Bisons," it is the Bison cognomen that is indistinguishable. Even the swim team, the "Sharks" can be noted as the Bison's Sharks.

When asked why the swim team is referred to as the "Sharks" swim instructor Lance Maxey said, "Swimming is an aquatic sport and the Bison is a land animal so it is only right that we take an animal or a name that does the sport justice." Dr. Joyce Barker, assistant professor in physical education who has been a part of Howard's faculty for about 30 years, comments, "Howard was recognized as The Capstone due in part to its physical education, we were the first to have competitive sports such as fencing, crew and slimnastics...and the Bison is the symbol of competitive edge."

Dr. Edward Morrison, graduate of Tufts University in 1916, headed Howard's football team, with Dr. Joseph Trigg as assistant coach, in 1920. These two men introduced new offensive techniques that aided in the feat over several challengers such as Lincoln University. It is during this era that "Bison" came to replace the football team and an athletic community formerly known as the "Bulldogs."

Morrison who was previously a sergeant in the old 92 Division of the army known as the "Buffaloes" knew how mighty, in character and appearance the bison was so he thought it befitting that Howard's athletics be named the "Bison." With a new attitude and a new name the thundering herd of "Bison" were undefeated for that season.

Howard University's bison logo is one that is waived high and worn proudly. According to facilities manager Isaac Darden who has been a part of the Howard community for about 40 years, John Dupri a former Howard alumnus, who majored in art and member of the football team drew a version of the bison crest for Howard.

His artistic creation did not go unnoticed but instead was coveted. It was so highly favored that the professional football team the Buffalo Bills took the design for their own. Since Howard did not have the logo copyrighted, it was lost to the Bills.

There have also been disputes as to what design or logos best capture the essence of the Howard "Bison," one of the "Bison" football team's former coaches, Steve Wilson even wanted to go with the Buffalo Soldier. Be it as it may, "Big Blue" or "Lady Blue," Howard's mascot, is a symbol that invokes a sense of school spirit and pride in both athlete and spectator.

Sophomore chemisty major Jordan Heard said "Between the band and mascot, they help keep the game exciting."

No. This article I pasted above was written in 2008... I want to say 40 years... That puts the original logo in the 1960's, before the Bills used it. John Dupri designed it first, not Wright... It was never protected and the Bills grabbed it! Howard has many names and logos... Maybe they started fully using it in 2002... Why are the Bills letting Howard use it for free?

Boy, when you lock into something you are unbelievable. To answer your question, because Ralph is a thief.

I am sorry... Just saying... There is dispute that John Dupri designed it first before Wright. Did you read what Buftex wrote? Did you read the comments on the link about 2002. In 2002, they (Howard) went to the charging bison as their PRIMARY logo... That doesn't mean Howard did not have it before that and the Bills in 1974.

Sorry I said Ralph and NFL properties (Stevens Wright did freelance for NFL Properties) is a thief... I am wrong. They are not a thief, just opportunistic.

The bigger thing is the NFL. They are very strict enforcing this stuff. Some reason they and Ralph give Howard a free pass. Not because they are thiefs (again, that was wrong of me to say that)... BUT because maybe they know the inspiration for the Bills logo came from Howard. Of course Wright had to draw up his version and the Bills/NFL copyright that... He (Wright and his family) should still be very proud of it Beerball.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Just sayin = I'm not letting this go/This doesn't need to be said but...

The standing buffalo is more appropriate for the style of play this last decade. I say if we have another losing season we change to a grazing buffalo, then a laying down buffalo, and finally buffalo burger or wings.

Just sayin = I'm not letting this go/This doesn't need to be said but...

The standing buffalo is more appropriate for the style of play this last decade. I say if we have another losing season we change to a grazing buffalo, then a laying down buffalo, and finally buffalo burger or wings.

a bucket of wings and a blue light would look great on a helmet, and would be positive for regionalization.

"The bison has been the proud mascot of Howard University's Intercollegiate athletics since the 1920's. Its large forequarters, shaggy mane and massive head with curvaceous horns make the bison an ideal emblem of power and strength.

The bison, clad in red, white and blue is the mascot of Howard's 20 Division I varsity athletic programs, eight wherein both men and women participate. Wether it is Howard's very own soccer team the "Bison Booters," or the women's basketball team of "Lady Bisons," it is the Bison cognomen that is indistinguishable. Even the swim team, the "Sharks" can be noted as the Bison's Sharks.

When asked why the swim team is referred to as the "Sharks" swim instructor Lance Maxey said, "Swimming is an aquatic sport and the Bison is a land animal so it is only right that we take an animal or a name that does the sport justice." Dr. Joyce Barker, assistant professor in physical education who has been a part of Howard's faculty for about 30 years, comments, "Howard was recognized as The Capstone due in part to its physical education, we were the first to have competitive sports such as fencing, crew and slimnastics...and the Bison is the symbol of competitive edge."

Dr. Edward Morrison, graduate of Tufts University in 1916, headed Howard's football team, with Dr. Joseph Trigg as assistant coach, in 1920. These two men introduced new offensive techniques that aided in the feat over several challengers such as Lincoln University. It is during this era that "Bison" came to replace the football team and an athletic community formerly known as the "Bulldogs."

Morrison who was previously a sergeant in the old 92 Division of the army known as the "Buffaloes" knew how mighty, in character and appearance the bison was so he thought it befitting that Howard's athletics be named the "Bison." With a new attitude and a new name the thundering herd of "Bison" were undefeated for that season.

Howard University's bison logo is one that is waived high and worn proudly. According to facilities manager Isaac Darden who has been a part of the Howard community for about 40 years, John Dupri a former Howard alumnus, who majored in art and member of the football team drew a version of the bison crest for Howard.

His artistic creation did not go unnoticed but instead was coveted. It was so highly favored that the professional football team the Buffalo Bills took the design for their own. Since Howard did not have the logo copyrighted, it was lost to the Bills.

There have also been disputes as to what design or logos best capture the essence of the Howard "Bison," one of the "Bison" football team's former coaches, Steve Wilson even wanted to go with the Buffalo Soldier. Be it as it may, "Big Blue" or "Lady Blue," Howard's mascot, is a symbol that invokes a sense of school spirit and pride in both athlete and spectator.

Sophomore chemisty major Jordan Heard said "Between the band and mascot, they help keep the game exciting."

No. This article I pasted above was written in 2008... I want to say 40 years... That puts the original logo in the 1960's, before the Bills used it. John Dupri designed it first, not Wright... It was never protected and the Bills grabbed it! Howard has many names and logos... Maybe they started fully using it in 2002... Why are the Bills letting Howard use it for free?

It's great and all that you keep siting that article. But that doesn't prove anything. For starters it's Howard's own paper, probably written by a student. So the comments in it are hearsay and biased. Second lets talk about the reality of the situation, in 1973 when Wright designed the logo he was living in Long Beach. Howard University is in Washington, DC. How the hell did Wright see this logo? He couldn't exactly come across it on the Internet. And Howard isn't exactly a power house university. Third, where are the pictures of Howard in 1974 with this logo in their helmet?