Have you decided what you want to see in the draft?

I'm having a difficult time deciding what I'd like the Bills to do in this years draft. Just like most of you I enjoy settling in on my own personal draft strategy I'd prefer the Bills to employ and then it's fun to see how it all unfolds. Usually I'm at that point by this time of year and have fortified into my stance. This year has been strangely more arduous for me to take a position. I've changed my mind at least 10 times. I finally figured out why I'm so off kilter, for the first time in long memory I haven't been able to decide what I want them to do with our first pick.

For your amusement I'll share what I'm narrowing it down to. I am really starting to warm up to drafting an offensive lineman with our first pick and not drafting a QB even if no QB has been taken. In this scenario I want the Bills to draft one of the top left tackles or Warmack. The Bills aren't great at any particlular unit (although an argument could be made at RB). I believe they could be if they drafted a left tackle or Warmack and signed Clabo for a contract in the 3 year $12 million range should do it. A line with rookie LT, Glenn, Wood, Urbik, and Clabo or Glenn, Warmack, Wood Urbik, and Clabo sounds awfully good to me. Then Hairston, Brown, and Pears provide excellent depth. Levitre would instantly become a distant memory as our offensive line would be better than it was with him.

I want Dion Jordan period. If he's there it takes me less than 10 seconds to make my selection. IMO our D-line/Pass rush is our next best chance to have a great unit somewhere. All indications are he won't be there. I also agree with Bill Parcels assessment that pass rushing LB's are his favorite postion for maximum value.

If neither of these strategies happen I then turn my hopes into drafting Ogletree. He plugs a major hole in our defense.

What say you?

My hope is defensive holes are plugged early and often! If the Bills zeroed in on OLB in round one, another ILB in round two and a CB in round three I'd be delighted. I truly am sick to death watching this team be run over by offenses every year for the passed 13 or so. Improve the offense through free agency, if it's still possible, and get some young, hungry players to fly to the ball and make plays!!

I have not decided.

• Warmack might already be better the Levitre, but I have a hard time replacing something we just lost.

• I do not want to go QB, not worth it right now.

• I know we do not need a RB or DL...but if there was a once in a decade NT...

• TE is an option but pretty hard to justify, plus there was some dude I have seen a lot about that'd be available later - he's compared to Gronk. Anyone here rememeber? Beuhler? Beuhler?

• CB would not make me as disappointed as drafting a WR. WR take years to develop in most cases, and there is no real true elite talent this year that makes me believe they'd be worth it.

• I guess that leaves LB, and it would be great to get a great one...as long as it is not T'eo. He scares the **** out of me.

So, no, TT. I have no freaking idea this year what I want and it sucks. Maybe we just draft a punter 1st.

I want:

-a WR in rounds 1 or 2. I feel like that is the threshhold by which you can pencil in a guy to start year 1 and get excited about him. If they took Patterson at 8, I would be extremely excited. I know he may not be a sure thing, but he's freakishly talented and his upside is insane. I hear people saying stuff like, "we can take care of WR in rounds 3 or 4." Can you? TJ Graham is what a 3rd round WR looks like. If you are serious about addressing the position, you must draft a WR in rounds 1 or 2, period.

-a QB in rounds 1-3. Little different from WR in that I could excited about a Tyler Wilson or a Tyler Bray in the 3rd round. Either way, they are going to take a QB with one of their first 3 picks (probably first 2 cause Buddy can't roll the dice on his guy being there in the 3rd round) and whomever they draft, I will watch highlight reels of and become incredibly excited about because I am the eternal Bills optimist.

-a LB in rounds 1-3 and probably round 4 also. ILB with one, OLB with the other.

Done.

P.S. If they take an offensive lineman with any of their first 4 picks I would be both surprised and disappointed.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

You're unclear.

Pass rushing linebacker?

Run-stuffing linebacker?

3-down all-around linebacker?

Oh, now :censored: buddy. I just wrote my nice fancy post saying I want a LB, next you're going to ask me what kind of LB. I want one that punts. A punter.

Run stuffing LB - assuming you mean Middle Linebacker - in a 3-4. Those are just as easy to find in FA as anything right now.

3-down backer - as a rookie? Hmmm. Big odds, but there are two there that fit that bill - Jordan and Jones. There are two more that I can't recall that are pretty good prospects at it but more of a...

Pass rushing LB - I think we do not need to waste much on a glory position. I think with the right scheming we will create enough pressure with who we have and another 3 down type backer. Mario, Mark, Kyle, Marcel in the front with Branch, Carrington, Bradham mixing it in...It'd not be hard to get some pressure there.

If we can identify a 3 down backer then I am fine with getting him. I, though, envision us using Lawson as a strongside LB, not a weakside, though. This guy will have to be able to rush from strong or weak side... be a pivotal anchor or some metaphor.

I think I am pretty squared away.......

- What I would like most is to trade down a few spots.....but not so far that I cannot draft Cordello Patterson (sp)......look...if your a playmaker your a playmaker....and we have seen guys with freakish quickness, moves, and speed like Roscoe Parrish and TJ Graham........but this guy brings that along with awesome SIZE......does anyone think that Roscoe would not have been a mega star in this league if a strong wind wouldnt have blown him over? That is my 1st round pick.

- In the 2nd round with our first pick that needs to be a QB....it will be the first time we have taken a QB with any real talent since JP Losman in late round 1 (who I still believe started too early).......Ryan Nassib, Glennon, Manuel....whoever the bills think has the ceiling of starting QB.

- The 2nd round pick we pick up in the trade needs to either be a OG or a LB.....and whichever one we DONT pick with that 2nd pick that position needs to be addressed with the 3rd round pick.

So ultimately

C. Patterson

E.J. Manuel/Nassib/Glennon

OG or LB

LB or OG

with the 1st 4 picks

I have not decided.

• Warmack might already be better the Levitre, but I have a hard time replacing something we just lost.

• I do not want to go QB, not worth it right now.

• I know we do not need a RB or DL...but if there was a once in a decade NT...

• TE is an option but pretty hard to justify, plus there was some dude I have seen a lot about that'd be available later - he's compared to Gronk. Anyone here rememeber? Beuhler? Beuhler?

• CB would not make me as disappointed as drafting a WR. WR take years to develop in most cases, and there is no real true elite talent this year that makes me believe they'd be worth it.

• I guess that leaves LB, and it would be great to get a great one...as long as it is not T'eo. He scares the **** out of me.

So, no, TT. I have no freaking idea this year what I want and it sucks. Maybe we just draft a punter 1st.

I've seen Travis Kelce from Cincinnati compared to Gronk but that is a huge stretch... #8 us too early for a TE IMO with all the holes on this team

I would love to trade down with Minnesota if we are giving our ideal situation. Take the best WR available (Patterson, Austin or Allen) and the best LB or TE (Ogletree or Eiffert?). In the 2nd take EJ Manuel and if he is gone there is good depth at OLB (Collins, Greene, Etc...) or Zach Ertz if you took the LB in the 1st. Take one of those guys at 41.

Barkevious MIngo, OLB LSU. Fits the system. Can play down as a 4-3 DE or lineup at OLB in the 3-4 front. Sack machine and very versatile. WR in RD 2. Tyler Wilson in RD 3.

Edited by xsoldier54

With the 8th pick I want the Bills to go with the first QB taken in the draft. Geno would be my pick. If the QB the Bills most covet is gone at 8, then they should take the best LB available. Barkevious Mingo LB would seem to be a good fit.

If no QB in RD 1 I hope there is a QB worth drafting with our second pick. That seems as likely as not given the team needs of Jax, KC, ARI, and Phi. However if we don't go QB round 1, it might be a draft where we fail (again) to get a possible QB of the future.

If no QB available then take the higher rated player at WR or TE with second pick.

O Line for third pick.

Beyond that hope for the best.

I believe Pettine can make a defensive dollar out of 15 cents so this draft should solidify the offense

I would still bulk the D. Why? Because until we have a $15-20m/yr franchise QB who sucks up so much of the cap that he has to outscore the other team to win (see NE, Denver, Dallas, Ravens this year), you can spend that $20m of cap on the defense, work to increase chaos/turnovers/short fields for the offense in the near term while you wait for your offensive savior. No sense going crazy drafting/signing all kinds of Cordarelle Pattersons and MIke Wallaces until you have the QB, which won't happen for 1 or 2 more years.