Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

I'm prolific in all aspects of life.

Family, profession, hobbies, volunteerism.

I understand that people like you may be threatened by high achievers

It's alright. In fact it's good that not everyone is like you. Very good in fact.

Very well said. I've found myself posting more on here this year because of guys like you...and I also have a business, three kids, wife, etc. It's the exchanging of ideas and humor that makes the board great (as opposed to snarky comments above). Keep it up SJBF!!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in just this one game, there is alot to like there.....a solid 2nd round pick.....

PRO's- quick, strong, compact release. very accurate. average mobility.

CON's- ball comes out a little low.

NOTES- his offensive line looked weak and his WR's dropped alot of balls that were catchable in the NFL.

draft him in the 2nd and someone else in the 1st....that's right....i want two fresh faces.

Nassib was there in the 3rd. Everyone assumed he sucked when his former coach took Geno. We take both! :w00t:

1 8 Buffalo Geno Smith QB WVU

2 41 Buffalo Ryan Swope WRF Texas A&M

3 71 Buffalo Ryan Nassib QB Syracuse

4 105 Buffalo Jordan Reed TE Florida

5 143 Buffalo Malliciah Goodman DE34 Clemson

6 177 Buffalo Bruce Taylor ILB Virginia Tech

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130408/2013-nfl-draft-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/?sct=hp_wr_a2&eref=sihp

Is there any chance Nassib is chosen at 8 like Gruden suggests? Do they try to wait and see if he makes it to 41? Do they trade next years number one and #41 to move back into the first round if he is still there. In an ideal world they trade back 8-10 spots and take Nassib there and two LB's in the second round.

I would love to know what Marrone knows about this kid.

http://sportsillustr...wr_a2&eref=sihp

Is there any chance Nassib is chosen at 8 like Gruden suggests? Do they try to wait and see if he makes it to 41? Do they trade next years number one and #41 to move back into the first round if he is still there. In an ideal world they trade back 8-10 spots and take Nassib there and two LB's in the second round.

I like Nassib somewhat, but I think it's dangerous to over value players because an obvious need. Last year Nassib would have been either a 3rd or 4th round selection and I don't think you draft him this year in the 1st round because of a weak QB class in contrast. I do see that you mentioned moving back and I agree with that idea. At best R. Nassib dictates a 2nd round pick at best, only due to the nature of QB's being picked prematurely on a consistent basis. Added reason not to select Nassib too soon is that we (The Bills) have so many needs including wr/cb/lb/depth on the OL, TE, etc...and they have only 6 picks to fill those glaring needs. It's important to get the best player available in one of those key positions. If the highest rated player on their board in the 1st rnd is a CB then so be it, if it's a WR then good pick'em! Stay true to your board is what I say, unless a glaring needs can be filled without a marketable drop-off in evaluation.

If Nassib is your guy then I say trade up to the 1st spot in the 2nd round if possible (as it takes two to make a trade..) Moving up in the same round will cost you less than moving back into the 1st round, and giving up a 3rd round this year to move back into the first is not an option with too few picks. Here is a better scenario imo.

1. Trade back from #8 pick to a pick in the #10-19 range and pickup an extra 2nd rounder or whatever you can get in return that is reasonable, and then trade back again in the #20-28 range and pick up more draft picks. This year in particular you should be able to pickup a player ie: #25 that has nearly the same potential as #8 pick as there is little seperation and although weak at the top end it is a deep draft pool. You likely could nab Nassib at #25, possibly have 3 picks in the second round to get a WR, LB, & CB. In the 3rd you can pickup your TE, and maybe have another pick to select from moving down to get a OG.

I don't think this idea is that far fetched as New England does this most years and drafts better than us and more abundantly despite picking way later every year! Last year I believe Cleveland moved back twice in the second round if I remember correctly.

So my point is don't get too obsessed with one player or you are going to over value him and expend a pick that you shouldn't have to do it...Stay true to your board Buffalo Bills otherwise the talent evaluation process is wasted time, money, and energy!!! Go Bills!

Edited by tonyjustbcuz

There is ton of smokescreens around this time. The Bills have their draft board ready. If they think Nassib is their guy and feel they can win with him, he will be picked at #8. They are not looking at Mel Kipers draft board or Grudens list of QBs..

I mentioned this in the Tavon thread, but I'll mention it here also. Doug Marrone had Ryan Nassib for FOUR YEARS. Is there any logical reason for Marrone not to know if Nassib is NFL franchise material after that much time spent with him as his head coach?

Therefore, if Marrone thinks Nassib's a franchise QB then he should be picked at #8. If he doesn't think he's a franchise QB then he shouldn't be picked in any round.

I don't want Ryan Nassib at all since I think he looks like another Colt McCoy. If the Bills do pick Nassib then I'll expect him to be an elite franchise QB, because Marrone gave the stamp of approval. There will be no excuses since Marrone has been his teacher for four years. Marrone and Nassib sink or swim together.

I like Nassib somewhat, but I think it's dangerous to over value players because an obvious need. Last year Nassib would have been either a 3rd or 4th round selection and I don't think you draft him this year in the 1st round because of a weak QB class in contrast. I do see that you mentioned moving back and I agree with that idea. At best R. Nassib dictates a 2nd round pick at best, only due to the nature of QB's being picked prematurely on a consistent basis. Added reason not to select Nassib too soon is that we (The Bills) have so many needs including wr/cb/lb/depth on the OL, TE, etc...and they have only 6 picks to fill those glaring needs. It's important to get the best player available in one of those key positions. If the highest rated player on their board in the 1st rnd is a CB then so be it, if it's a WR then good pick'em! Stay true to your board is what I say, unless a glaring needs can be filled without a marketable drop-off in evaluation.

If Nassib is your guy then I say trade up to the 1st spot in the 2nd round if possible (as it takes two to make a trade..) Moving up in the same round will cost you less than moving back into the 1st round, and giving up a 3rd round this year to move back into the first is not an option with too few picks. Here is a better scenario imo.

1. Trade back from #8 pick to a pick in the #10-19 range and pickup an extra 2nd rounder or whatever you can get in return that is reasonable, and then trade back again in the #20-28 range and pick up more draft picks. This year in particular you should be able to pickup a player ie: #25 that has nearly the same potential as #8 pick as there is little seperation and although weak at the top end it is a deep draft pool. You likely could nab Nassib at #25, possibly have 3 picks in the second round to get a WR, LB, & CB. In the 3rd you can pickup your TE, and maybe have another pick to select from moving down to get a OG.

I don't think this idea is that far fetched as New England does this most years and drafts better than us and more abundantly despite picking way later every year! Last year I believe Cleveland moved back twice in the second round if I remember correctly.

So my point is don't get too obsessed with one player or you are going to over value him and expend a pick that you shouldn't have to do it...Stay true to your board Buffalo Bills otherwise the talent evaluation process is wasted time, money, and energy!!! Go Bills!

This is the exact reason why teams aren't going to be eager to trade up.

I mentioned this in the Tavon thread, but I'll mention it here also. Doug Marrone had Ryan Nassib for FOUR YEARS. Is there any logical reason for Marrone not to know if Nassib is NFL franchise material after that much time spent with him as his head coach?

Therefore, if Marrone thinks Nassib's a franchise QB then he should be picked at #8. If he doesn't think he's a franchise QB then he shouldn't be picked in any round.

I don't want Ryan Nassib at all since I think he looks like another Colt McCoy. If the Bills do pick Nassib then I'll expect him to be an elite franchise QB, because Marrone gave the stamp of approval. There will be no excuses since Marrone has been his teacher for four years. Marrone and Nassib sink or swim together.

Couple things...

1) If you think Nassib reminds you of McCoy, you've probably never seen either play too much. McCoy has no arm. Nassib does. You can clearly distinguish arm strength. McCoy has excellent mobility. Nassib has average mobility. Nassib is thick and muscular. McCoy is 20 lbs. lighter with not much heft to his frame. McCoy was surrounded with great talent at Texas. Nassib did not have talent around him at Syracuse. The only similarity between the two is they were starting college qbs, both are about 6'2" tall, and both are white.

2) The head coach (Marrone) does not act unilaterally when it comes to drafting players. In the end it's Buddy's call if a clear consensus on a player has not been reached. So there is other things in play here. Marrone can share his opinion with Whaley, Buddy, Russ, the scouts, the assistants. But until everyone has seen him up close and personal to refute or validate opinions the process isn't complete. And if they don't evaluate each and every qb candidate in the same way, in the end they can't compare them objectively.

Couple things...

1) If you think Nassib reminds you of McCoy, you've probably never seen either play too much. McCoy has no arm. Nassib does. You can clearly distinguish arm strength. McCoy has excellent mobility. Nassib has average mobility. Nassib is thick and muscular. McCoy is 20 lbs. lighter with not much heft to his frame. McCoy was surrounded with great talent at Texas. Nassib did not have talent around him at Syracuse. The only similarity between the two is they were starting college qbs, both are about 6'2" tall, and both are white.

2) The head coach (Marrone) does not act unilaterally when it comes to drafting players. In the end it's Buddy's call if a clear consensus on a player has not been reached. So there is other things in play here. Marrone can share his opinion with Whaley, Buddy, Russ, the scouts, the assistants. But until everyone has seen him up close and personal to refute or validate opinions the process isn't complete. And if they don't evaluate each and every qb candidate in the same way, in the end they can't compare them objectively.

That's been the biggest myth of this draft season. Nassib is a horrible thrower of the deep pass. Nassib and McCoy look like carbon copies to me. They look great running around throwing short passes in college, but they are not NFL starting material due to their physical limitations.

Plus, how many excuses does this guy get? No talent around him? He was playing Big East defenses! How many Big East defenders are getting drafted this year? I suspect a very small amount. He had receiving talent around him in the Senior bowl, what happened there?

Edited by 1billsfan

Ryan Nassib as an NFL draft first-rounder picks up buzz:

NFL Films analyst Greg Cosell raised a few eyebrows last month when he opined on NFL Network's "Path to the Draft" that Syracuse's Ryan Nassib is the top quarterback in this draft class based on film study.

Cosell isn't alone in his high regard for Nassib. The National Football Post's Russ Lande, recently hired as college scouting director for the CFL's Montreal Alouettes, has Nassib rated as the No. 1 player regardless of position on his draft board.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000158127/article/ryan-nassib-as-an-nfl-draft-firstrounder-picks-up-buzz

The only similarity between the two is they were starting college qbs, both are about 6'2" tall, and both are white.

Then you admit that the similarities are uncanny?

I think also that they both look like Kevin Kolb… or Fitzy.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Ryan Nassib as an NFL draft first-rounder picks up buzz:

NFL Films analyst Greg Cosell raised a few eyebrows last month when he opined on NFL Network's "Path to the Draft" that Syracuse's Ryan Nassib is the top quarterback in this draft class based on film study.

Cosell isn't alone in his high regard for Nassib. The National Football Post's Russ Lande, recently hired as college scouting director for the CFL's Montreal Alouettes, has Nassib rated as the No. 1 player regardless of position on his draft board.

http://www.nfl.com/n...r-picks-up-buzz

Aren't these the same 2-3 guys who have been saying this since January? If so, how is it buzz?

That's been the biggest myth of this draft season. Nassib is a horrible thrower of the deep pass. Nassib and McCoy look like carbon copies to me. They look great running around throwing short passes in college, but they are not NFL starting material due to their physical limitations.

Plus, how many excuses does this guy get? No talent around him? He was playing Big East defenses! How many Big East defenders are getting drafted this year? I suspect a very small amount. He had receiving talent around him in the Senior bowl, what happened there?

As far as Big East defenders getting drafted... according to the pundits, thes guys will be gone by the end of round four...

Steve Beauharnais

Khaseem Greene

Logan Harper

Shamarko Thomas

Sio Moore

Dwayne Gratz

Blidi Wrey-Wilson

Don't confuse facts for excuses.

There are no excuses for Nassib. He is what he is regardless of where he played and the players around him are what they are and only his LT (who played about a half season) will be playing on Sundays... none of his skill players will be. That's fact not an excuse. That can't be said of the other top 4 qbs.. they all have one or two skill players (WR/TE/RB) that will be playing on Sundays. Did their skill players make them or was it the other way around? We know the answer with Nassib... we don't on the others. And, for just a wee bit of perspective, McNabb had Harrison, Grimes, Rob Konrad and Kevin Williams. The last three had about 5 year careers in the NFL. The first two didn't do too bad either. They all played in the Big East. Nassib broke many of McNabb's passing Stats... any household name you want to toss out there as to who he threw the ball to that will play in Sundays? Anyone with better than 4.7 40 speed. I'd have to say Nassib squeezed more juice from the orange he had than did the others... again, fact and a cogent observation... period.

I get it, The Big East, offenses or defenses, are not the Big Ten or SEC. So what? Flacco (Del), Roethlesberger (Miami OH), Romo (E. Ill.), Kaepernick (Nevada-Reno), all played against the opposition in their respective conferences which were not as competitive as the Big East. So what? You play who you play and you either suck or you don't suck. All of the top 5 QBs have respectable numbers and have had good runs. What it comes down to for the Bills at QB is "fit" all they way around... and Nassib earned his way into that mix.

A detailed, slightly different, and very entertaining write-up on Nassib. (Sample: " Nassib is the Kristen Stewart of quarterback prospects. Many people see the face of a new generation, the gorgeous-and-talented centerpiece of a successful modern-day franchise. Others like me see a mumbly, intermittently-pretty person with an overbite who can barely emote.")

http://miketanier.sportsonearthblog.com/draftathon-ryan-nassib-quarterback-syracuse/

Sorry if it was already posted.

This guy is a very talented writer who employs an entertaining, free form style:

As soon as someone mentions a quarterback’s bench press prowess, one name comes to mind: Jim Druckenmiller. As for won-loss records against other quarterbacks, this isn’t arm wrestling. As Michael David Smith noted this week, Danny Wuerffel was 2-0 against Peyton Manning in college. In the read option, Nassib sometimes took a pistol snap, faked a handoff, and scuttled forward for a few yards, reminding no one, not even Gruden, of Colin Kaepernick. Gruden clarified that Nassib was more of a “nuisance” with the read option; I thought we were drafting quarterbacks, not gophers.

There are stretches of games where Nassib barely looks draftable. The pass rush gets to him, and he either launches a wobbly pass off his back foot or forces a short pass into a defender’s belly. Or, his throwing motion goes totally out-of-kilter for a series or two, and his awkward shot-put throws go every-which-way. On short passes, he drives 95 mile-per-hour fastballs past his receiver’s fingertips. On deep throws, he puts too much air under the ball and forces his receiver to come back for the ball. He looks like an erratic aerosol passer.

But then there are moments when everything converges. When Nassib’s mechanics are smooth, his release is a snap, his velocity excellent, and his accuracy pinpoint. Nassib has terrific touch and timing on deep passes along the sidelines and on seam routes. Watch Nassib find Alec Lemon on a deep post or place a teardrop into Marcus Sales’ arms along a hash mark a few times, and you start to see that high first-round pick. Then, he disappears for a few series.

The problem comes in sorting the Jekyll from the Hyde. Nassib’s Senior Bowl practices looked like his 2012 tape. He spent whole drills overthrowing every receiver he saw, then would settle down and made a few big-time throws. This isn’t a guy who makes nine special throws for every clunker; the ratio is close to six-to-four. My colleagues, and no doubt some NFL scouts and coaches, see raw materials that can be molded into something special. I see a block of marble, not a masterpiece.

This guy is a very talented writer who employs an entertaining, free form style:

As soon as someone mentions a quarterback’s bench press prowess, one name comes to mind: Jim Druckenmiller. As for won-loss records against other quarterbacks, this isn’t arm wrestling. As Michael David Smith noted this week, Danny Wuerffel was 2-0 against Peyton Manning in college. In the read option, Nassib sometimes took a pistol snap, faked a handoff, and scuttled forward for a few yards, reminding no one, not even Gruden, of Colin Kaepernick. Gruden clarified that Nassib was more of a “nuisance” with the read option; I thought we were drafting quarterbacks, not gophers.

:D

The problem comes in sorting the Jekyll from the Hyde. Nassib’s Senior Bowl practices looked like his 2012 tape. He spent whole drills overthrowing every receiver he saw, then would settle down and made a few big-time throws. This isn’t a guy who makes nine special throws for every clunker; the ratio is close to six-to-four. My colleagues, and no doubt some NFL scouts and coaches, see raw materials that can be molded into something special. I see a block of marble, not a masterpiece.

And damn if that doesn't describe Ryan Fitzpatrick. Terrifically frustrating. Not saying his flaws aren't correctable, but that is cause for concern and certainly reason to shy away from him at #8.