Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

Welcome back then. I'm glad Boston isn't in your handle bc then I would have had to be a jerk to you! (Bills, Lakers, and Yankees fan) :censored: Boston! :nana:

Born and raised in Rochester. Took a sales gig for Paychex in Boston out of college but I am a die hard Bills and Sabres fan. It was hard being a Bills fan in Boston especially because it was 04'-10'. So Boston sports was winning at everything (football, hockey, baseball, basketballl) and New Englanders are some seriously annoying sports fans. Ive been back in Rochester for 3 years now, and its good to be home. There was a fun Bills backers bar out in Boston across from The Garden but it doesnt compare to being around all of my dillusional friends (myself included) who think the Bills are going back to the super bowl after every off season.

I was at the Garden last year when Lucic destroyed Ryan Miller and none of the Sabers did anything about it. It was probably the most embarassing moment as a Buffalo sports fan in my life. I considered finding the nearest fan with Lucic jersey on, pulling his jersey over his head and getting in a hockey fight with him just to defend the honor of Buffalo sports fans everywhere.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But back to topic, Ryan Nassib, in my opinion, is the qb to draft this year now that weve picked up Kolb. I would not take him at 8, I would prefer to trade back and pick up some picks. But there is just too much value in the coaching staff having already worked with him for 4 years to pass on him and take a shot on another project qb. The terminology, the communication, the understanding, the situational play calling in games, the comebacks and OT wins they pulled off together in 2012, the playbook or at least parts of it, and all of the work already put in to develop that coach player relationship for 4 years is not an opportunity that comes along often in a draft situation.

Nassib might not be the the qb for the future, Kolb has maybe a 5% chance at being the guy for the future (comebacks rarely if ever happen), but there is no clear franchise qb to be taken in this draft so for all of the reasons I listed above Nassib makes sense this year. All of these qbs coming out need polish. If he doesnt work out, we draft another qb in 2014. But risk/reward, Nassib is the guy for 2013 in my opinion.

But back to topic, Ryan Nassib, in my opinion, is the qb to draft this year now that weve picked up Kolb. I would not take him at 8, I would prefer to trade back and pick up some picks. But there is just too much value in the coaching staff having already worked with him for 4 years to pass on him and take a shot on another project qb. The terminology, the communication, the understanding, the situational play calling in games, the comebacks and OT wins they pulled off together in 2012, the playbook or at least parts of it, and all of the work already put in to develop that coach player relationship for 4 years is not an opportunity that comes along often in a draft situation.

Nassib might not be the the qb for the future, Kolb has maybe a 5% chance at being the guy for the future (comebacks rarely if ever happen), but there is no clear franchise qb to be taken in this draft so for all of the reasons I listed above Nassib makes sense this year. All of these qbs coming out need polish. If he doesnt work out, we draft another qb in 2014. But risk/reward, Nassib is the guy for 2013 in my opinion.

Does it matter that he's not the best QB talent available?

Round one, or round two, -take your pick. If this was last year, Nassib would still be around in the 5th. I watched the kid play for four years, and his improvement over that time was negligible.

If it's one thing Marrone should have learned from Gailey, it's that you don't pin your hopes to a QB, just because he's familiar.

You only have six picks. Do the smart thing. -BPA rounds 1 and 2. Go fishing for a project in the late rounds or UDFA. Unlike last year, the dropoff in talent isn't as dramatic between rounds 1 and 3...

This might be the most ignorant statement I have ever read on here. Since when does blue collar mean white and underpaid? Blue Collar is hard working, nothing handed to you, give your best no matter how unappreciated your talents are. Fred Jackson could be considered the poster boy for a blue collar athlete.

One could argue that over 90% of nfl fans are blue collar. Why would the nfl run away from their fan base? Whatever unsettled personal and political issues you have dont pertain to this topic.

Blue-collar means manual, unskilled labor. It's a term that is applied 99.99% of the time when applied to athletes, they are white, and usually a lesser player. It's an incredibly stupid term to use for an athlete.

And Buffalo just loves using it. It's a wonder why we don't have an NBA team.

Round one, or round two, -take your pick. If this was last year, Nassib would still be around in the 5th. I watched the kid play for four years, and his improvement over that time was negligible.

If it's one thing Marrone should have learned from Gailey, it's that you don't pin your hopes to a QB, just because he's familiar.

You only have six picks. Do the smart thing. -BPA rounds 1 and 2. Go fishing for a project in the late rounds or UDFA. Unlike last year, the dropoff in talent isn't as dramatic between rounds 1 and 3...

I do think he is the best option available. I do not think Geno Smith is a winner, and I dont see any other qbs from this draft becoming starting qbs in this league. Its just my opinion. There is a good chance I will be proven wrong but only because one of these qbs might come out and surprise everyone in the NFL like some qbs have done in the past. But having the arm strength and footwork does not make a winning qb or make a guy a better choice That is something that has been proven time and time again. Unlike some others, I am not claiming that I know it all. My opinion is backed up by my what Ive seen from each of the available qbs.

In your opinion, who do you think the best option at qb for the Bills draft? And thats purely a question, I am not trying to disqualify any opinions you may have.

Blue-collar means manual, unskilled labor. It's a term that is applied 99.99% of the time when applied to athletes, they are white, and usually a lesser player. It's an incredibly stupid term to use for an athlete.

And Buffalo just loves using it. It's a wonder why we don't have an NBA team.

You previously said blue collar meant white and under paid. Now you are saying blue collar means white and a lesser player. As well as blue collar means unskilled labor. So you think a carpenter doesnt have skill? Precision machining can be done by any guy off the street? And if 99,9% of the time its a white lesser player, and this is who the nfl should be running away from, then you are saying they should be running away from all of us of who never made it to the nfl and are white but love the sport. Let's just move on. Because you are taking this in a direction that really has nothing to do with football and more to do with your beliefs.

According to a league source, the Bills will hold a private workout with Syracuse's Ryan Nassib.

Thus far, the team has conducted four private workouts with draft-eligible quarterbacks. West Virginia's Geno Smith, Florida State's E.J. Manuel, Oklahoma's Landry Jones and USC's Matt Barkley are the players the Bills' brass have already seen. The Bills will also work out Tennessee's Tyler Bray. The Nassib and Bray private workouts will likely conclude the Bills tour of the top college quarterbacks.

http://www.wgr550.co...Nassib/15935566

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

According to a league source, the Bills will hold a private workout with Syracuse's Ryan Nassib.

Thus far, the team has conducted four private workouts with draft-eligible quarterbacks. West Virginia's Geno Smith, Florida State's E.J. Manuel, Oklahoma's Landry Jones and USC's Matt Barkley are the players the Bills' brass have already seen. The Bills will also work out Tennessee's Tyler Bray. The Nassib and Bray private workouts will likely conclude the Bills tour of the top college quarterbacks.

No Tyler Wilson or Matt Scott or Zack Dysert?

Edited by ganesh

Mods, merge at your discretion.

And several of you were wondering about this earlier today:

None of the private workouts count as an official pre-draft visit with the Bills. Each team is allowed 30 pre-draft visits to their own facilities. Private workouts are often conducted at the player's school or wherever he is training before the draft.

I thought I'd heard that the Bills were gonna workout Matt Scott.

Was I imagining this?

edit: And if this report is true, then the Bills will not be working out Zach Dysert, Mike Glennon, or Tyler Wilson.

I thought they might try to play coy with Nassib.

Not that it would have fooled anyone.

It is interesting that the report implies that the Bills will not be working out Tyler Wilson, Matt Scott, Mike Glennon, and Zach Dysert.

No Tyler Wilson or Matt Scott or Zack Dysert?

That's the more interesting story line, looks like the universe of qb draft targets is narrowed down to the 6 I bolded

Depends on what you mean by talent? Are you talking sinply measureables?

1) 40yd. dash, height, over the top arm strength?... Or

2) are you talking a combination of the measureables, intangeables, qb instinct, game knowledge, work ethic, toughness, effectiveness, leadership?

If you're simply talking #1, then you'd probably take EJ Manuel... but then you'd potential be getting a guy that will be Vince Young, TJax, or Joe Webb in about 3 years.

If you're talking both #1 and #2, then it's a no brainer. Nassib his head and shoulders above the class.

Take a look at the senior numbers for the last two QBs selected at #8 (Locker, 2011 & Tannehill, 2012)... Nassib's blows them away... and he was surrounded by way less talent... a clear indication he is a player, a huge factor, and a difference maker.

5th round??? Are you sure? I ask because if that's where you're at on this, I've got $200 that I'll wager right now that says he's off the board way before that. And there's probably 1,000 othe "wallers" that would appreciate being let in on some of that action.

2) are you talking a combination of the measureables, intangeables, qb instinct, game knowledge, work ethic, toughness, effectiveness, leadership?

If you're simply talking #1, then you'd probably take EJ Manuel... but then you'd potential be getting a guy that will be Vince Young, TJax, or Joe Webb in about 3 years.

If you're talking both #1 and #2, then it's a no brainer. Nassib his head and shoulders above the class.

Take a look at the senior numbers for the last two QBs selected at #8 (Locker, 2011 & Tannehill, 2012)... Nassib's blows them away... and he was surrounded by way less talent... a clear indication he is a player, a huge factor, and a difference maker.

5th round??? Are you sure? I ask because if that's where you're at on this, I've got $200 that I'll wager right now that says he's off the board way before that. And there's probably 1,000 othe "wallers" that would appreciate being let in on some of that action.

To be fair, if it were a "no brainer" as you claim, I'd imagine that he'd be in the discussion for the #1 overall pick...or at least a top 10 pick for a team other than Buffalo.

He's not, so it can't be the lead-pipe lock you seem to be insinuating.

As I've said, I think Nassib has the potential to be a quality NFL starting QB, but there are things about his game that worry me (deep ball, foot work, pocket presence, etc.).

The 5th round talk is nonsense...guys with NFL measurables and a good college resume don't last that long.

I really loved everything I saw about Nassib, when watching video of him, except his ball placement / accuracy. There were a lot of throws that the WR's had to slow down for, or adjust their bodies to catch a ball that was thrown behind them - which indicates to me he has a hard time anticipating or leading his recievers - which is CRUCIAL in the NFL. And, this tendency really increased with deep balls. Now, if that is something he can work on, or that can be improved, then I think he is a very good prospect. You've got to love his toughness, his intelligence, his leadership skills - in every other way he'd be a great fit for Buffalo, and reminds me a lot of a Favre, or Kelly type QB.

One thing to consider which seems to increase his chances of being a Bill - Marrone said many times, when assembling a staff, that his decisions on staff selection were made based on scheme familiarity. He didn't want to waste the first offseason getting his coaches up to speed on terminology. In other words, he didn't want his first year to seem like a first year. Well, if you apply that same logic to players, then Nassib gives them an instant starter, as opposed to another QB who might have to sacrifice a year to learn the system.

I really loved everything I saw about Nassib, when watching video of him, except his ball placement / accuracy. There were a lot of throws that the WR's had to slow down for, or adjust their bodies to catch a ball that was thrown behind them - which indicates to me he has a hard time anticipating or leading his recievers - which is CRUCIAL in the NFL. And, this tendency really increased with deep balls. Now, if that is something he can work on, or that can be improved, then I think he is a very good prospect. You've got to love his toughness, his intelligence, his leadership skills - in every other way he'd be a great fit for Buffalo, and reminds me a lot of a Favre, or Kelly type QB.

One thing to consider which seems to increase his chances of being a Bill - Marrone said many times, when assembling a staff, that his decisions on staff selection were made based on scheme familiarity. He didn't want to waste the first offseason getting his coaches up to speed on terminology. In other words, he didn't want his first year to seem like a first year. Well, if you apply that same logic to players, then Nassib gives them an instant starter, as opposed to another QB who might have to sacrifice a year to learn the system.

That's quite strange because Greg Cosell of NFL Films and one of the mosted respected film graders, was wowed by his ball "location" (placement) and accuracy as well as how quickly he reads.

When you suggest his receivers had to slow down or wait... #1 how do you know the receiver was in the exact spot he should have been? and, #2, you do realize that none of Nassib's receivers will be playing on Sundays, right? I mean, aside from a couple of offensivve linemen and a decent, but not great, RB, Nassib didn't have a lot to work with, and that includes Alec Lemon... a wr with 4.7 40 speed.

And look how quickly tannehill shot up the draft board last year as well as what he achieved as a rookie. Manuel, Barkley, Geno, they all were surrounded with much more talent and were in programs with a tradition of winning. There is alot to be said for Nassibs numbers, record, and sr season coming out of a program like Syracuse. I personally believe Nassib is the best pick for the Bills. Sometimes great things happen because people are in the right place at the right time. With Marrone coming to Buffalo, and Nassib coming off his sr season, I believe this to be the right place and right time.

We will know how marrone and co feel about Nassib based on the draft. If he passes on Nassib, then I will be proven completely wrong and willing to accept that I was wrong. If he truly feels Nassib can be the franchise, he might pick him up at 8. If you believe a guy to be the answer to your franchise, no pick is too early.

The one thing I do feel confident about is that Geno Smith will not be an NFL franchise qb simply based on the fact that his leadership skills have been questioned by many. I have personally watched him with a towel over his head, pouting, and a defeated look on his face during games where he should have been fired up and ready to go.

One thing I thought of today, after seeing that Marrone had gone on all the private workouts with the QBs, and has probably spent a good deal of time watching film on them as he prepares for the draft, was that he probably doesn't know exactly what he thinks about Ryan Nassib as a potential draft pick of the Bills until he sees all the other guys up close and can compare a lot of stuff.

Sure, he watched some tape of Geno and Barkley while preparing for them to play Syracuse, and sure he knows all kinds of things about Nassib that won't change watching other guys... but... he could easily come away from watching tape and meeting QBs and seeing them in person that this guy may be better. And like he said about coaches that he worked with over the years that he could have brought on his staff "I didn't hire a lot of them", or something to that affect.

I do think he is the best option available. I do not think Geno Smith is a winner, and I dont see any other qbs from this draft becoming starting qbs in this league. Its just my opinion. There is a good chance I will be proven wrong but only because one of these qbs might come out and surprise everyone in the NFL like some qbs have done in the past. But having the arm strength and footwork does not make a winning qb or make a guy a better choice That is something that has been proven time and time again. Unlike some others, I am not claiming that I know it all. My opinion is backed up by my what Ive seen from each of the available qbs.

In your opinion, who do you think the best option at qb for the Bills draft? And thats purely a question, I am not trying to disqualify any opinions you may have.

E.J. Manuel and Tyler Wilson are better pro prospects. Both have booming arms, great field vision, and wheels to extend/make plays. I don't care if Ryan Nassib is a "gym rat", -He's a lousy athlete. Granted, I'm not crazy about any of these kids, but with a gun to my head, I take E.J. -and If he's gone, then Tyler (small hands and all)

Ryan Nassib lacks the BASIC tools needed to prevail at the next level. One day, if he really works at it, I think he'll make a serviceable backup in the NFL.

Oh, give me a break! If Marrone thinks he can pass off this college sytsem QB as a legit NFL starter, he's got another thing comin'. He's a statue. He's inaccurate. He is NOT a leader. Pump up the guns all you want, son. I've seen the body of work, and I'm not impressedThis kid is going to get pummeled like the red-headed backup that he is.

Yah, I said it... 5th round... IN LAST YEARS DRAFT. -You didn't read my entire post, you skimmed through it like you skimmed through Ryan Nassib's career. The trouble is that now you've formed a very incomplete opinion on his readiness for the pro's.

Hey, I almost don't care who Buddy Chooses at 8... I'd like it to be Ansah, or BPA, but since Buddy excels at locating fool's gold while letting tremendous opportunities slip away, I'm not holding out much hope.

Believe it or not, a part of me hopes you get your guy. At least then you'll be able to see how big of a scrub he is. GO BILLS!