Waiting for Round 2 worth the risk?

Let's say the Bills like the QBs in this order:

Manuel

Smith

Glennon

Nassib

Pick #8 comes up and all are still available. There are no potential trade down partners.

What do you do? Do you pick Manuel? You like him better than anyone else.

Do you wait until round two knowing that Smith will be gone but hoping that Manuel lasts? It is likely that most teams like Smith best do there is at least one QB that goes before Manuel. Are Nassib and Glennon good enough as consolation prizes? Does your plan become trading back in ahead of a team that you think wants Manuel?

Those are all hypotheticals.

One general question is whether you think Manuel will last and become an option for the Bills at #41.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This draft is going to be really fun because of the intrigue around the QBs

There seems to be a huge discrepency in ranking these guys.

There seems to be no general consensus amongst the talking heads and the mock drafters as to which teams will go QB early (seems like Buffalo and AZ are both popular landing spots for Rd1 QBs, but I've also seen mocks with OAK, CLE, JAX and PHI taking QBs early).

To me, I have to look at the entire field. And to be honest, I think it depends on the attitude in the front office.

I think we can all agree that Buddy Nix is looking down the barrels of the firing squad. To me, the difference is how he reacts to it.

If he looks on into danger with steely resolve, I think he waits until round 2. He takes a blue chip player, and make no doubt, there WILL be a blue chip player in a position of need available at #8, whether it be Dee Milliner, Jarvis Jones, Alec Ogletree or Cordelle Patterson. If, by some stroke of luck, Geno Smith falls into his lap Buddy will take him.

If Buddy is panicking, I can see him picking whoever is best at the #8 pick. If so, we can make do with our other picks and pick up a bunch of UDFA.

EDIT: I still like Tyler Wilson, and he seems that he will almost certainly there at #41, maybe even in the third round.

Edited by Whitewalker Merriman

I say Patterson at #8 and with #41 QB I would expect all Glennon, Nassib and possibly even Manuel to be there

So your opinion is we settle? Even if we have X QB rated higher, pass on him and take a WR and a QB rated lower? Brilliant..,.

To me, I have to look at the entire field. And to be honest, I think it depends on the attitude in the front office.

I think we can all agree that Buddy Nix is looking down the barrels of the firing squad. To me, the difference is how he reacts to it.

If he looks on into danger with steely resolve, I think he waits until round 2. He takes a blue chip player, and make no doubt, there WILL be a blue chip player in a position of need available at #8, whether it be Dee Milliner, Jarvis Jones, Alec Ogletree or Cordelle Patterson. If, by some stroke of luck, Geno Smith falls into his lap Buddy will take him.

If Buddy is panicking, I can see him picking whoever is best at the #8 pick. If so, we can make do with our other picks and pick up a bunch of UDFA.

So we take a blue chip player instead of addressing QB again? We did that his first 3 drafts and can't win more than 6 games a season.

we clearly need a wr on the other side of stevie. Geno the top rated QB of this draft will be gone and likley Barkley. A QB will do nothing if he has no weapons to throw to. and IMO and im sure most other the QB class this year is weak, tho theres talent to be groomed ex) jones, glennon etc.

Wait till rd 3. Someone will be around still. Get a first rounder next year.

In other words, use the same philosophy we did with the Wilson fiasco last season. Oh wait, we picked before Seattle in round 3. Nevermind.

EDIT: I still like Tyler Wilson, and he seems that he will almost certainly there at #41, maybe even in the third round.

It's amazing how some fans just assume that if we take a non QB at #8 that the player we would take will automatically become a "Blue Chip Player" whereas if we take a QB somehow that player is almost certainly doomed to fail...

We took Dareus at #3 - Has he become a "Blue Chip Player"???? NO

Smith and IMO Barkley are the 2 best QBs and potetial immidiate impact players. and theyl both more than likley be gone at #8. Makes more sense to take Patterson whose gona be an impact player and a big position of need then just some QB just to take one, when other talent at QB will be there at 41, telent to be groomed

How come I get the feeling this year will end up being like the 2010 draft? We pass up a QB in the first round, people start yelling to trade up or pick one in the second, and they don't, then this year's Jimmy Clauson goes a few picks later. We get back on the clock in the third round, and all the QBs that people have been saying we need to pick in the first round are still there in the 3rd...

Given your scenario, I say "yes" absolutely draft the QB on top of your board. Now...if there were an opportunity to trade down (which your scenario doesn't offer) they'd have to consider that as well...depending of course on how far back, who you expect will be left etc.

IMO, waiting till the 2nd round in your hypothetical would be too risky. We're down to bare bones at QB now and if we lost out on the guys we targeted by waiting, there would be riots at OBD ! LOL !

jb

The thread is actually about NOT drafting a QB in the first. Are you reading it backwards?

There are several threads and posts about waiting until the 2nd round to draft a QB.

Everything has been covered ad nauseum regarding whether we should risk it, who will be available, etc etc.

This thread subject is not unique but it's been a slow news week so you're getting the attention for right now.

There are several threads and posts about waiting until the 2nd round to draft a QB.

Everything has been covered ad nauseum regarding whether we should risk it, who will be available, etc etc.

This thread subject is not unique but it's been a slow news week so you're getting the attention for right now.

This...