TJ Lane

boyst

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my community two middle school aged kids have died in a fight at school in the past 5 years. One at bus stop hit the back of his head on ground after 1 punch, i don't recall the other but i know he died. Is this normal? No. But the point stands, the old "let the kids fight it out" attitude isn't flying anymore. The bottom line is hands to yourself and also don't shoot guns at each other either.

Yes words can hurt...but they need to learn to deal with words and social stigma without resorting to violence. Period.

Horseshit. Anecdotal instances don't stand up to the overall good that "schoolyard" fights do. There would probably be a lot less Columbines and Sandy Points if we didn't make such rules that are the anathema to human nature.

As romantic as these "i fought" stories are you can't have it. Large kids kill small kids with punches it happens all the time. Pussify the world? Maybe so...but physical violence is not acceptable.

Horseshit.

Violence is not only the necessary solution to several problems; but is also actually the preferred solution to a sub-set of them.

I am in the middle here and tend to break a little more with the conservatives. There has to be an outlet to enable some sort of physical threat to be dished out and for the powers that be to look the other way. Every action has a reaction... Like the instigator penalty in the NHL, look how a well intended rule change has caused so much problems. Sure, I don't like stars like Gretzky skating around w/protection...But, he should fight his own battles like Lemieux had to do, what we have now is even more punks agitating and getting away with it. The problem is worse. Let them fight their own battles @ the lowest common rung in this case.. Even if it means having to turn a blind eye to the occasional fist fight.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I am in the middle here and tend to break a little more with the conservatives. There has to be an outlet to enable some sort of physical threat to be dished out and for the powers that be to look the other way. Every action has a reaction... Like the instigator penalty in the NHL, look how a well intended rule change has caused so much problems. Sure, I don't like stars like Gretzky skating around w/protection...But, he should fight his own battles like Lemieux had to do, what we have now is even more punks agitating and getting away with it. The problem is worse. Let them fight their own battles @ the lowest common rung in this case.. Even if it means having to turn a blind eye to the occasional fist fight.

We had a fantastic policy regarding bullies at the elementary school I went to in the early 80's, and as a result, bullying was virtually eliminated. Kids were encouraged to physically engage bullies with violence while they were bullying other kids. The most memorable example was one bully who was beaten bloody and into tears by a group of 5 younger students, after which the bully was suspended and the kids who came to the defense of the kid being bullied were held up as model citizens.

So in 1 story, the kid's head striking the ground caused his death, and you don't remember the other.

So you've listed 2 examples that don't show kids killing other kids with their punches.

Fantastic.

Just saying fairly recently simple punches produced death in my community. It isn't just childs play when kids strike other kids. And it has no place in school

Just saying fairly recently simple punches produced death in my community. It isn't just childs play when kids strike other kids. And it has no place in school

If an occasional bully dies in a freak accident so that kids can learn the merits to standing up for themselves and for others, and of not being miserable and dependant, then it's well worth it, and I won't shed a tear.

You keep saying that, yet don't have an example of a simple punch causing death.

How many suicides in your area from bullied or neglected kids?

We had 16 yr old girl ad her friend get high and walk down railroad tracks to end their life a while back. That's not the case im talking.

I am talking when a kid sees no way out but death. To be bullied or picked on in school while others do nothing. To go home and be ignored by your parents because they are trying to be fun and experience life. There is. Good chance TJ would have acted out. Same with Lanza and Cho. But maybe if TJ fought back. Hit his bullies a few times and someone noticed his anger and ease of getting violent then it could be different.

I've seen teachers get bullied. I've seen coaches promote it. Ilwe have all seen authority figures bully people too often. People would rather be the victim in most cases then fight back. You get more attention as the victim.

We usually waited until after school to settle things but there was sometimes an immediate need to handle things on the spot. The school administration was rather lenient with the kid being bullied.They sort of took a laissez-faire attitude. If we waited until after school the choice meeting place was either the hospital grounds or the cemetary, both locations near to the school and both emblematic of the perceived seriousness of the situation. No one would ever think to bring a weapon. It would have been cowardly.

We had a fantastic policy regarding bullies at the elementary school I went to in the early 80's, and as a result, bullying was virtually eliminated. Kids were encouraged to physically engage bullies with violence while they were bullying other kids. The most memorable example was one bully who was beaten bloody and into tears by a group of 5 younger students, after which the bully was suspended and the kids who came to the defense of the kid being bullied were held up as model citizens.

LoL... That would work! Gotta hand it to your school... Nothing wrong w/that unless they grow up to don the wife beater and kick the cat! The group of 5 that is... Heck, any of the innvolved party... :-O

You keep saying that, yet don't have an example of a simple punch causing death.

RJ Vaneko/punching David Koschman... Guns and punches are killing 'em in Chicago... Oh my!

How many suicides in your area from bullied or neglected kids?

We had 16 yr old girl ad her friend get high and walk down railroad tracks to end their life a while back. That's not the case im talking.

I am talking when a kid sees no way out but death. To be bullied or picked on in school while others do nothing. To go home and be ignored by your parents because they are trying to be fun and experience life. There is. Good chance TJ would have acted out. Same with Lanza and Cho. But maybe if TJ fought back. Hit his bullies a few times and someone noticed his anger and ease of getting violent then it could be different.

I've seen teachers get bullied. I've seen coaches promote it. Ilwe have all seen authority figures bully people too often. People would rather be the victim in most cases then fight back. You get more attention as the victim.

Going back to the late 1940's/early 1950's my father tells a story about working on the railroad... He was just breaking in as a youngster... My grandfather and his brother already were working and broke down the Italian and Irish stranglehold on those jobs for his family (and maybe others)... They simply changed their Polish sounding name to an Irish sounding name by adding an apostrophe. Well, when they got my father a job... Others, especially one Irish fireman, didn't like it... They bullied him with cultural names.H e was just breaking in on the job when steam was making its way out for diesel. The other workers found that my father was a Pollock, the BS ensued... Being young, they seized upon it... Constantly with the "Pollock" crap... This Pollock, that Pollock. Well, my grandfather just stood back and after a while said: "When you gonna stop taking that crap, they ain't pulling it w/us." So... My 16 year old father kicked the fireman's ass... He/nobody ever pulled the same Pollock crap again.

Try that today... You are out a job...

Defending yourself from nonphysical violence with violence never is in this day in age. Too many kids hitting heads when falling to ground and dying

Oh, I forgot...the modern pussified definition of "bullying" by necessity includes taunting, glaring, snickering, being mean on Facebook, and not inviting the uncool kids to parties.

Going back to the late 1940's/early 1950's my father tells a story about working on the railroad... He was just breaking in as a youngster... My grandfather and his brother already were working and broke down the Italian and Irish stranglehold on those jobs for his family (and maybe others)... They simply changed their Polish sounding name to an Irish sounding name by adding an apostrophe. Well, when they got my father a job... Others, especially one Irish fireman, didn't like it... They bullied him with cultural names.H e was just breaking in on the job when steam was making its way out for diesel. The other workers found that my father was a Pollock, the BS ensued... Being young, they seized upon it... Constantly with the "Pollock" crap... This Pollock, that Pollock. Well, my grandfather just stood back and after a while said: "When you gonna stop taking that crap, they ain't pulling it w/us." So... My 16 year old father kicked the fireman's ass... He/nobody ever pulled the same Pollock crap again.

Try that today... You are out a job...

The flip side of that being: if you continually call someone a Pollock in the workplace today, you're out of a job.

Or worse, sent to sensitivity training where some hippie flower children try to teach you about feelings and explain how, because diversity is a tangible asset, the damn Pollocks add business value.

RJ Vaneko/punching David Koschman... Guns and punches are killing 'em in Chicago... Oh my!

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/Who-Is-RJ-Vanecko-Koschman-Daley-181885521.html

Are you retarded?

WTF does that have to do with large kids killing small kids with punches? The people involved in the incident weren't kids, and the punch wasn't the cause of death.

Oh, I forgot...the modern pussified definition of "bullying" by necessity includes taunting, glaring, snickering, being mean on Facebook, and not inviting the uncool kids to parties.

The flip side of that being: if you continually call someone a Pollock in the workplace today, you're out of a job.

Or worse, sent to sensitivity training where some hippie flower children try to teach you about feelings and explain how, because diversity is a tangible asset, the damn Pollocks add business value.

Try going from independent restaurants where stabbing each other and throwing pots at an !@#$ waiter was just another Saturday night to big hotel chains were they actaully had an HR department. Needless to say I didn't fit in too well.

I slapped a steer on the ass once, he kicked the **** out of me... I was lucky I didn't end up in the HR office for bullying.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/Who-Is-RJ-Vanecko-Koschman-Daley-181885521.html

Are you retarded?

WTF does that have to do with large kids killing small kids with punches? The people involved in the incident weren't kids, and the punch wasn't the cause of death.

I wasn't trying to make a case for SameOldBills. The Vanecko thing is the only case I ever heard of where a punch and fall on the head killed somebody... I agree with you... Where are all these kids dying?

So true... LoL