Alec Ogletree - LB - Georgia

NoSaint

Probably because they managed not KILL anyone in a fiery crash. If they had, would you feel the same?

This shouldn't hurt his draft stock, but let's not portray drunk-driving as some benign offense. It can be LETHAL, and often times is.

Read 2 posts above the one I'm quoting.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These two incidents are not comparable in my thinking. The first guy is of minimal danger; I don't consider what he did any more dangerous than someone driving recklessly, probably even less so because he was being careful. The girl, on the other hand, is a danger to society and needs to be dealt with much more harshly. But we, as a society, tend to see "DUI" and apply the same label to both.

I agree, while any kind of drunk driving is illegal as it should be, we shouldn't be lumping these two kinds of people together. There are those that get caught that were just unlucky to get caught and would have driven home completely safe without endangering anyone and there's the kinds that irresponsibly put random people in serious danger. It's pretty much impossible for a cop to be able to discern between the two, which is why we have the laws in place, but we should hold off on judging the person's character until we know how reckless the person really is.

Now reading about Ogletree it sounds like he might be more like the second person you mentioned, the story I read says he was weaving in and out of lanes and that's why he was pulled over. Also he should know that his behavior is under a microscope now that he is projected to be a first round pick but we still shouldn't judge too harshly until we know all the facts.

I've never had a DUI

(knock on wood)

To expand a bit: I know a guy who just got a DUI. He blew .09 and was pulled for going 10 mph over on a very wide and empty 45 mph zone. He drinks frequently, has a high tolerance, and is a good dude. This is not the guy that's going to kill a family.

By contrast, I know a girl who got a DUI driving like a maniac, speeding through red lights, with a baby in the back who wasn't even strapped into the car seat, while over double the legal limit. She is the type to get people killed.

These two incidents are not comparable in my thinking. The first guy is of minimal danger; I don't consider what he did any more dangerous than someone driving recklessly, probably even less so because he was being careful. The girl, on the other hand, is a danger to society and needs to be dealt with much more harshly. But we, as a society, tend to see "DUI" and apply the same label to both.

<p>Not trying to pile on you here, but I STRONGLY disagree with this thought process. I may me wrong, but I can't see a scenario where a "careful" drunk driver should be tolerated. -I just don't believe there is such a thing.

<p>Not trying to pile on you here, but I STRONGLY disagree with this thought process. I may me wrong, but I can't see a scenario where a "careful" drunk driver should be tolerated. -I just don't believe there is such a thing.

I don't mind the pile on. I think you have an opinion that's been emotionally driven due to a past experience, which I don't fault you for, but it does take away from the objective rationality of your position.

I agree, while any kind of drunk driving is illegal as it should be, we shouldn't be lumping these two kinds of people together. There are those that get caught that were just unlucky to get caught and would have driven home completely safe without endangering anyone and there's the kinds that irresponsibly put random people in serious danger. It's pretty much impossible for a cop to be able to discern between the two, which is why we have the laws in place, but we should hold off on judging the person's character until we know how reckless the person really is.

Now reading about Ogletree it sounds like he might be more like the second person you mentioned, the story I read says he was weaving in and out of lanes and that's why he was pulled over. Also he should know that his behavior is under a microscope now that he is projected to be a first round pick but we still shouldn't judge too harshly until we know all the facts.

This may well be true. I probably overstated by saying it is a "non-issue" and should have stated that without knowing the details a DUI arrest alone doesn't necessarily tell us a lot about his character.

Edited by Rob's House

This may well be true. I probably overstated by saying it is a "non-issue" and should have stated that without knowing the details a DUI arrest alone doesn't necessarily tell us a lot about his character.

Exactly, there's no need to jump to conclusions like he should never play for our team or in the league at all, whatever "not be tolerated" means.

I don't mind the pile on. I think you have an opinion that's been emotionally driven due to a past experience, which I don't fault you for, but it does take away from the objective rationality of your position.

I've never had a DUI, but yes, I have driven drunk, and could have killed people.

Do you seriously want to be "that guy"?

-The one so sure of his drunk driving skills that he believes the kid he ran over would've been hit regardless?

I'll never do it again, because it's just not worth it. If that makes me irrational, then so be it.

I understand that he's a kid, and I don't think this will count too much against him in the draft. However, the truth is that we're one screeching, brake-stand away from an entirely different conversation. -That's the truth about alcohol and cars.

When I get soused, I either hoof-it home, or call my wife for a ride, OR (If she refuses to come .) I call a cab... It ain't that hard.

Sure beats sobering-up ina 6x9 cell.

• 1 month later...

Maybe we need a few bada-----. These fine young fellas don`t seem to be working.

That's the sense that I get too. Fine, upstanding young men are great for the community...but winning is better!