IMHO - San Fran will move up in the draft

Whose backing up kaepernick?

The Niners are one of the teams I see looking at Matt Scott. Different size body, but the kid is very similar in style to Kaepernick. My worst nightmare is the Bills missing out on Manuel in the first (wherever they end up picking in that round) and the Niners selecting Scott at #34 ahead of the Bills #41 spot.

One weird scenario would be if the Redskins somehow picked Scott in the second round to be a much better backup fit in their offense than Cousins, and they look to trade Cousins for a pick or two in this draft. These read option/running QB teams really need a great backup that fits their unique offense. One injury to Kaepernick, RGIII or Wilson and their seasons are really screwed up.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm going the other way......their recent history suggests:

they will trade down and/or completely trade out....(trade one of this years high 2013's pick for a potential higher pick in 2014).

I also see them taking a QB to groom with the 34th pick acquired from KC.

The San Francisco 49ers lead the way with 14 picks. They have eleven regular picks plus compensatory picks. Of their eleven picks, six are originally theirs, having traded their sixth round pick in the Anquan Boldin trade. They acquired the Kansas City Chiefs second round pick in the Alex Smith trade. They acquired the Carolina Panthers third round pick in a trade involving a 49ers 2012 fourth round pick. They acquired the Colts fifth round pick as part of a deal to move down from the third round (No. 92) to the fourth round (No. 97) last year. They then acquired the Dolphins sixth round pick as part of a deal to move down in the fourth round (No. 97 to No. 103). That pick was then traded with the Panthers in the above third round pick trade. Complicated enough for you? The 49ers also added the Bengals seventh round pick in the Taylor Mays trade.

(1) 31. San Francisco 49ers

(2) 34. San Francisco 49ers (from Kansas City Chiefs)

(2) 61. San Francisco 49ers

(3) 74. San Francisco 49ers (from Carolina Panthers)

(3) 93. San Francisco 49ers

(4) 128. San Francisco 49ers

(4) 131. San Francisco 49ers (compensatory selection)

(5) 157. San Francisco 49ers (from Indianapolis Colts)

(5) 164. San Francisco 49ers

(6) 180. San Francisco 49ers (from Miami Dolphins)

(7) 227. San Francisco 49ers (from Cincinnati Bengals)

(7) 237. San Francisco 49ers

(7) 246. San Francisco 49ers (compensatory selection)

(7) 252. San Francisco 49ers (compensatory selection)

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/3/19/4122674/49ers-draft-picks-2013-nfl-draft-comp-picks-nfc-west

I think it's more likely they just let their picks come and go.

They're holding all the cards. Why would they start divvying up resources for the mutual benefit of others when they could just let them go to waste and make the exact same incremental gain?

The Niners are one of the teams I see looking at Matt Scott. Different size body, but the kid is very similar in style to Kaepernick. My worst nightmare is the Bills missing out on Manuel in the first (wherever they end up picking in that round) and the Niners selecting Scott at #34 ahead of the Bills #41 spot.

How do you think SF would pick Scott with the 34th pick? Scott is a 4th round pick in virtually every ranking I have seen.

Walter- Round 4-6

CBS - Round 4-6

Maycock does not even have him in the top 5

Draft Scout - Round 4-5

Bleacher - 9th ranked QB

they have lots of picks... they can't use them all so will probaby move up.... but we are not likely at to make a deal with them in the first. don't see that at all. it would take way too much and i don't see us moving down to 31. it's too big a difference and they'd probably have to give us their 1st and both 2nds to make it close.

i see them maybe trading up with someone else, or later on trading back into the 2nd or something. but i doubt they give up 3 top picks for the 8th, AND i doubt we'd move that low... at that point we'd have no idea if any of the players they've been eyeing will be around. too drastic. not a match.

That Damn value chart is Outdated!!! :death:

I was wondering about this..do you think a high pick is now more valuable because of the rookie wage scale?

My gut would be yes, as a team can make a mistake now and not be hamstrung for the next several years with a huge, bad contract.

OTOH, if I hit the jackpot, I have a player at a great # so I can put the cap space to work elsewhere.

That sould be a great move if we want to target a QB. Gets us ahead of the first 10 picks of the 2nd round.

Guys I would love to target are Elam the S from Florida, one of the tops TEs from ND or Standford, and a top rated G.

SF will most likely trade some of those picks for higher picks in next years draft

But ur right no way they draft that many new players

Agree with this ^

Also, I just can't see a player that SF would covet enough to move up to the 8th spot. IMO, it would have to be a CB or a WR, and I don't think either of those match the value of the #8 pick. Milliner is very likely to be gone, and Patterson can probably be had in the 13-15 range if they want him.

The rich get richer, San Fran was awarded 3 compensatory picks (1 -4th round / 2- 7th), they have a total of 14 picks now. Who in their right mind expects them to draft 14 new guys on a team this talented?

These are guys going to try and move up, several times over & package many of these picks into early round picks. That makes the most sense to me & anyone paying attention.

They should.

If I was them I would pool all of my picks into the 2nd and 3rd rounds where a lot of the talent is after many first rounders drop because they weren't combine kings.

How do you think SF would pick Scott with the 34th pick? Scott is a 4th round pick in virtually every ranking I have seen.

Walter- Round 4-6

CBS - Round 4-6

Maycock does not even have him in the top 5

Draft Scout - Round 4-5

Bleacher - 9th ranked QB

I think the draft experts are missing the boat with Matt Scott. In this case, they are still stuck in the old ways of draft think while NFL teams are thinking about the future of the league, where it's heading and the future of the QB position in particular.

I'd actually be shocked if the Jaguars passes on Scott with their second pick.

Edited by 1billsfan

These read option/running QB teams really need a great backup that fits their unique offense. One injury to Kaepernick, RGIII or Wilson and their seasons are really screwed up.

Generally I would agree with you but not in the case of Kaepernick and RG III.

I believe that if they both had their ability to run taken away from them that they would still develop into superior passers. Hell, both of them are excellent passers right now. The ability to run is just an added bonus, IMO.

i'm going the other way......their recent history suggests:

they will trade down and/or completely trade out....(trade one of this years high 2013's pick for a potential higher pick in 2014).

I don't really think recent history is relevant though.

This is a team which just lost a Super Bowl. They've made moves this offseason which suggest that they're gonna pull every stop to win it this year. I think they're gonna be aggressive about targeting and trading up to get players.

An added reason for this belief is that you simply can't draft that many guys or you'll end up cutting too many of them.

And as for the tactic of trading this year's picks for next year's, that only delays the pain of having to draft too many players and having to cut them.

I could see them trading some of their picks for next year but I think they'll definitely package picks to move up.

That sould be a great move if we want to target a QB. Gets us ahead of the first 10 picks of the 2nd round.

Guys I would love to target are Elam the S from Florida, one of the tops TEs from ND or Standford, and a top rated G.

Great call. Bills would make an ideal trading partner for the 9ers. Team with lots of holes and not enough picks and a team with tons of picks and very few holes.

Am I really the only person that thinks they'll simply let them go to waste...??

Fortunately for the collective board IQ, yes.