Can someone explain the Whaley faith to me?

FireChan

Anyone who claims Nix is terrible conveniently forgets Modrak and Donahoe. You people are ridiculous.

Modrak was never GM, and his draft record in Buffalo is better than Nix's. At least Donahoe knew from day one that his team needed an NFL caliber QB, he just wasn't successful in his many moves to land one. Buddy on the other hand, believed in the Aisle 8 QB Theory and played that card for three years.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you fail to realize is...Ralph Wilson has a billion dollar Org that he only wants to make a profit from, and he doesn't care if the team makes the playoffs ever again, or he would have hired another top HC like he did with Chuck Knox.

I can tell you, from first-hand knowledge, that you're wrong about this.

He does care...it's not apathy on Wilson's part, it's poor decision making.

Make use of the Ire Principle: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

I can tell you, from first-hand knowledge, that you're wrong about this.

He does care...it's not apathy on Wilson's part, it's poor decision making.

Make use of the Ire Principle: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

What first hand knowledge?

C'mon man, get a grip and stop defending one of the most cantankerous, notoriously frugal owners in the NFL.

He didn't want to give Knox a raise, couldn't reach an agreement with #1 overall pick Tom Cousineau, that difference was 20k. Or first round pick QB Jim Kelly who chose the USFL instead. Remember the line, "if I can't hire you, then I'll fire you. When Wilson fired GM John Butler.

Ralph Wilson canned the architect of his super bowl teams in Bill Polian. Arguably the very best GM the NFL has ever seen in its storied history. The constant fighting Polian had to do with Wilson and his lackeys (Jeff Littmen) over the price of free agents, player contracts, stadium improvements.This owner has been more concerned with his bottom line then he ever has with winning.

Edited by FeartheLosing

What first hand knowledge?

C'mon man, get a grip and stop defending one of the most cantankerous, notoriously frugal owners in the NFL.

He didn't want to give Knox a raise, couldn't reach an agreement with #1 overall pick Tom Cousineou, that difference was 20k. Or first round pick QB Jim Kelly who chose the USFL instead. Remember the line, "if I can't hire you, then I'll fire you. When Wilson fired GM John Butler.

Ralph Wilson canned the architect of his super bowl teams in Bill Polian. Arguably the very best GM the NFL has ever seen in its storied history. This owner has been more concerned with his bottom line then he ever has with winning. The constant fighting Polian had to do with Wilson and his lackeys (Jeff Littmen) over the price of free agents, player contracts, stadium improvements.

You can choose to believe me or not, I don't really care; I'm simply telling you what I know from the mouth(s) of those in the know.

He does care about winning...he's just not good at it...if you somehow find that to be stated in his defense, I'm not sure how I can help you.

Whaley is sort of the front office's version of Terrell Troupe. We haven't seen much of him, but rest assured that when we do, we will all be impressed.

Oh, and yes, Whaley came from a winning organization , i.e. Pittsburgh. If you recall, the last former Steeler front office guy to come here did an absolutely stupendous job. So, if and when Whaley takes over as GM, let's hope he can replicate all the success Tom Donahoe had with the Bills.

Or you can get unbelievably lucky and hire a great HC with a winning record who comes in and revamps the entire scouting dept by bringing in head scout Norm Pollom with him, probably finding Bill Polian and John Butler in the process.

Then turns the franchise on its ear by transforming a team that was so bad they couldn't have pre season games in Buffalo because fans refused to buy tickets, and turns the team into a winner. A man who revitalized the entire Org in every aspect despite the very worst GM in the NFL above him. Meanwhile getting a bunch of no name players to believe in themselves enough to win games. Taking a QB who would hang his head with every bad pass and converting him into a playoff caliber QB.

Then when said owner realizes his stadium is now filled again and fans are lining up to buy season tickets he lets this HC walk away! Lets face it, Ralph Wilson got incredibly lucky to hire Chuck Knox in the first place,(HC of the Rams, winner of 5 straight NFC West Champions) and it saved his franchise. He also went on to find Bill Polian / John Butler in the process.

But, you can't get that incredibly lucky again by hiring scrub head coaches over and over as the Buffalo Bills, Detroit Lions and various other teams have proven for decades

What you fail to realize is...Ralph Wilson has a billion dollar Org that he only wants to make a profit from, and he doesn't care if the team makes the playoffs ever again, or he would have hired another top HC like he did with Chuck Knox.

Chuck Knox? We are talking about the way things where done 30 years ago?

I met Chuck Knox and was around the Bills during the 70's and 80's. granted i was a kid.

The only thing i remember Knox doing was telling my cousin he killed Santa...true story. And yes my cousin was 6 and still believed in Santa...ha!

"Wild successful guy" "up and comer" "league-wide respected up and coming GM" where are these coming from? Who respects him? I haven't heard anything. Where has he been successful? He has more power and pull in Buffalo than he did in Pittsburgh, yet he gets a pass on our mistakes and gets credit for their great personnel choices?

Good point. I would feel much better, when its time to replace Nix, going with someone who has successful GM experience. Or possibly a proven star evaluator aspiring to GM. Whaley could be a candidate but do an exhaustive search. Look at the time and effort turning over every stone to find a player. Picking the picker is another level up in importance.

I hate to reference RF but I found the same situation. I know at least half of the people who hated him by this year were his biggest supporters two years ago. The "he's our guy, pay him now Buddy" crowd did a complete 180 on their opinion. Meanwhile, I, and I'm sure a few other of his defenders didn't have the Brady-level expectations some others did. Which is why I didn't want to eviscerate him like half of this board seemed to want to.

Well considering Fitz was extended in 2011 and you became a member of our board in May of this year, I guess we'll have to take your word for it.

I played golf last summer with a guy who grew up with Whaley and is a big Steelers fan. Was very surprised I knew who Whaley was, and did not think of him as an up and coming GM of the future. Considered him more of a personnel man who was a long way from the top seat in Pittsburgh. I will believe in anything different right now, but a sobering comment from someone familiar with DW. Go Bills!

I remember Peter King criticizing us for hiring Nix as GM when there were some sharp, young, up-and-coming personnel guys like Whaley who better deserved the opportunity. Then we hired Whaley and ended up with the best of both worlds (young & old). Apparently, King likes and respects Whaley.

And that's about the sum total I know about Whaley. I don't how we fans can evaluate a #2 guy. We don't know which decisions are his and which were made against his recommendations.

Coach's booth. Nuff said.

Yup. If it were up to me, I'd stick him in the booth for a season, and make him sit next to a more fiery, seasoned veteran coach. Someone who can show him what it takes day in and day out. You just can't stick a guy like that on the sidelines right away and expect him to succeed.

His tape is HORRIBLE. Sometimes he looks totally disinterested.

Coach's booth. Nuff said.

Yup. If it were up to me, I'd stick him in the booth for a season, and make him sit next to a more fiery, seasoned veteran coach. Someone who can show him what it takes day in and day out. You just can't stick a guy like that on the sidelines right away and expect him to succeed.

I would just like someone to explain to me why I should have any faith in the guy.