Interview with Buddy Nix from Owners Meetings

BRAWNDO

You don't really know if a QB will go on to have a 8-10 year career. There are too many things surrounding him that can change. Again, as many have chimed on this board, the fault with Nix is that he did not even attempt to draft one and give it a shot. He was more worried about protecting his investment in Fitz.

Again, I've said that the blame is squarely on Nix's shoulders for not taking a shot at Kaepernick, Dalton, or Wilson, regardless of whether or not I understand his reasoning.

I don't, however, believe it was an issue of protecting an investment. It was two-fold: (1) his head coach truly believed he could win with Fitz (he was clearly wrong), and (2) he obviously felt that the team had too many other needs to take a shot at a QB that he didn't feel would be that 8-10 year guy. I understand the logic...that doesn't mean I agree with it.

Nix was wrong. That doesn't mean he didn't value the QB position, but rather serves as an indictment of his prowess in judging QB talent.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The contract was not the issue with Fitz. It was that the coach thought he was better than he was, and did not use the talented running backs on the roster effectively. Fitz never should have been forced to try to win games on his arm. He was not good enough.

basic math tells you an average year produces two long term starters and a handful of journeymen. if longterm adds up to about 8-10 years that puts 15-20 established starters in the league at varying points in their career any given year.

Since you're good with numbers, I'm sure you know the difference between an average and a sample. By the way, thanks for providing a definition for the term long-term starter. I'm sure that's precisely what was meant in the off-the-cuff analytics.

The contract was not the issue with Fitz. It was that the coach thought he was better than he was, and did not use the talented running backs on the roster effectively. Fitz never should have been forced to try to win games on his arm. He was not good enough.

And that is a *big* issue. Very rarely teams win without an elite QB (Dilfer). It is also very rare that teams don't win super bowl when they have elite QBs (Kelly and Marino). The success rate of winning a SB with an elite QB is pretty high. You need to draft for that elite QB.

Again, I've said that the blame is squarely on Nix's shoulders for not taking a shot at Kaepernick, Dalton, or Wilson, regardless of whether or not I understand his reasoning.

I don't, however, believe it was an issue of protecting an investment. It was two-fold: (1) his head coach truly believed he could win with Fitz (he was clearly wrong), and (2) he obviously felt that the team had too many other needs to take a shot at a QB that he didn't feel would be that 8-10 year guy. I understand the logic...that doesn't mean I agree with it.

Nix was wrong. That doesn't mean he didn't value the QB position, but rather serves as an indictment of his prowess in judging QB talent.

My main point is that there is no evidence to suggest that Nix valued the QB position (as you quote above), but was arm-twisted by circumstances to not draft one!

My confidence level in Buddy Nix is at an all time low. The Fitz contract was a disaster and set the franchise back years. I do not want him deciding who the next QB is.

Hands out big contract to a career backup, passes on Dalton, Kaepernick and Wilson - not to mention that Nix has run three drafts and the only quarterback he has bothered to pick has been a seventh-rounder. So yeah, that's not the "evaluator" I want selecting a franchise QB for the Bills. Why he's still in place as the GM is a real mystery.

I actually think it's somewhat different than that. I think Nix wanted and intended to draft a young QB but misjudged (two years in a row) how high the guys he wanted would be selected. He likely thought he could get Kaepernick in the 3rd and Wilson in the 4th (we know the Bills' scouts were high on both players), and both years he was off by a round. It's a textbook example of Nix's inexperience as a GM biting us in the ass.

Um . . . yeah . . .

Huh?

Well you see, son, when they brought in Vince Young last offseason (I wonder if Buddy remembers) he was a re-re-tread. Bringing in a re-re-tread is an OK thing, but now that he's been cut again that made Young a re-re-re-tread and Buddy don't cotton to no re-re-re-treads. Then you toss in the fact that Young was out of the game for the entire 2012 season that there makes Young a re-re-re-re-tread. No way is a re-re-re-re-tread good enough for your Buffalo Bills.

After the entire Prank phone call incident, I am done with Nix. Not that it was that one single event, but adding everything up, he is not the man for the job.

He is a decent scout on some levels, but i do not believe he is a GM. Nix is 70+years old. I am sorry but the type of work a GM has to do is not easy. The hours and the travel and constant meetings where you must be sharp. That phone call and listening to Nix when he thought no one was listening was telling. I do not think he is a good poker player. I think he is an honest and nice man, who got offered a job he had no business being offered. That, unfortunately, is how the Bills F.O. has been run for years now...

And that is a *big* issue. Very rarely teams win without an elite QB (Dilfer). It is also very rare that teams don't win super bowl when they have elite QBs (Kelly and Marino). The success rate of winning a SB with an elite QB is pretty high. You need to draft for that elite QB.

My main point is that there is no evidence to suggest that Nix valued the QB position (as you quote above), but was arm-twisted by circumstances to not draft one!

Agreed...Whether it was spin or not, Nix was squarely in the forefront when it came to hyping Fitz...The quote most known and used by Nix is the one about (and I'm paraphrasing here) how Fitz has done it before...And how it's a good ol' scout's saying that if they've done it before, they can do it again...I think Nix was as "all-in" on Fitz as Gailey was, and he only got off that bandwagon when he was told he better do so...That's just what I think...

My general observation of Buddy is this...If you are trying to figure out the unknown, assume the worst with Nix...I think he's far more clueless as a GM than most of us believe...And I don't think he's some super-scout either...I think he's average in that area...But in the area of making GM decisions he's the worst...Assume that, and everything becomes easier to understand... B-)

You don't really know if a QB will go on to have a 8-10 year career. There are too many things surrounding him that can change. Again, as many have chimed on this board, the fault with Nix is that he did not even attempt to draft one and give it a shot. He was more worried about protecting his investment in Fitz.

Exactly correct. Nobody ever knows if a QB or any other player for that matter is going to be great, good, mediocre or even make a roster. The fact is though, Nix is at fault for not even attempting to find that quarterback. For that reason, he should no longer even be the GM, he is a disaster. Kinda like the lottery-you don't have a great chance to win to begin with, but if you don't buy a ticket you have NO CHANCE of winning.

Exactly correct. Nobody ever knows if a QB or any other player for that matter is going to be great, good, mediocre or even make a roster. The fact is though, Nix is at fault for not even attempting to find that quarterback. For that reason, he should no longer even be the GM, he is a disaster. Kinda like the lottery-you don't have a great chance to win to begin with, but if you don't buy a ticket you have NO CHANCE of winning.

I would never argue that Nix has done his job with regard to his efforts to find a franchise QB...never. The only support I've given the guy is that he's stuck by his word of filling other holes in lieu of drafting a QB that he didn't believe would be an 8-10 year guy...big mistake.

I would never argue that Nix has done his job with regard to his efforts to find a franchise QB...never. The only support I've given the guy is that he's stuck by his word of filling other holes in lieu of drafting a QB that he didn't believe would be an 8-10 year guy...big mistake.

Didn't say he didn't stick to his word, but his word was based on his judgement, and his judgement has been so far off that this team and fanbase are going to continue to pay for his inabilities as a GM for years to come.

Didn't say he didn't stick to his word, but his word was based on his judgement, and his judgement has been so far off that this team and fanbase are going to continue to pay for his inabilities as a GM for years to come.

First half I agree with...second half...well, fortunes can change in an instant, especially when the right QB is put in place.

First half I agree with...second half...well, fortunes can change in an instant, especially when the right QB is put in place.

I guess I would say I disagree with you only because this team is in worse shape and has more holes in it then when Nix took over with his 3/4 year plan? Since the season ended in December or January, all he has done is create more holes. Do I agree that Fitz had to go-yes, anyone with a brain would, but what are they going to do? One receiver on the roster that would have a chance to start on any other team in the NFL. A big hole at guard. I can go on and on, and even in a fantasy world if he hit big on all 6 draft picks (and with him, we will be lucky if he hits on one), there are twice that many holes on this team now-so the math doesn't add up.